+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another airline pulls out of Cardiff Airport

Another airline pulls out of Cardiff Airport

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rdiff-28889840

Eastern Airport for the Paris route.

Not a major carrier but how many more nails in the coffin

Re: Another airline pulls out of Cardiff Airport

Absolute embarrassment of an airport….newquay airport has more flights I think….jeez. Another WAG legacy on ruining Wales at 20 mph or very slowly……

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Absolute embarrassment of an airport….newquay airport has more flights I think….jeez. Another WAG legacy on ruining Wales at 20 mph or very slowly……
    If it wasn't for the Welsh government the airport would have closed down years ago.

They had actually turned it around but then Covid hit at the worst possible time and had a huge impact on the market.

there's a big chicken and egg effect in that you need passenger numbers to bring costs down attract airlines and you need flights to raise passenger numbers. Better carriers and more significant infrastructure spending will only be viable once passenger numbers are significantly raised, so its basically back to square one to try to gradually get them back up again.

All very unfortunate but it doesn't make sense to lay the blame at the welsh government's door.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    All very unfortunate but it doesn't make sense to lay the blame at the welsh government's door.
    Of course it does. Everything that ever goes wrong is the fault of the Welsh Government to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Of course it does. Everything that ever goes wrong is the fault of the Welsh Government to some people.
    They either govern Wales or the don't in the immortal words of Sir Kier the buck stops at the top, well in this case that's the WAG, and their woeful lack of aspiration

[QUOTE=Rjk;5499663]If it wasn't for the Welsh government the airport would have closed down years ago.

They had actually turned it around but then Covid hit at the worst possible time and had a huge impact on the market.

there's a big chicken and egg effect in that you need passenger numbers to bring costs down attract airlines and you need flights to raise passenger numbers. Better carriers and more significant infrastructure spending will only be viable once passenger numbers are significantly raised, so its basically back to square one to try to gradually get them back up again.

If Ryan Air and EasyJet had the same flight destinations going from Cardiff as they do Bristol, they would have literally millions more passengers using Cardiff Airport per year. Something has to be done about encouraging the budget airlines to fly to more destinations in Europe from our airport. I go to Lanzarote three times a year and occasionally Beziers. Every time I fly it means he hassle of flying from Bristol. It really grips my p*ss that I have to do that.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5499783]

If Ryan Air and EasyJet had the same flight destinations going from Cardiff as they do Bristol, they would have literally millions more passengers using Cardiff Airport per year. Something has to be done about encouraging the budget airlines to fly to more destinations in Europe from our airport. I go to Lanzarote three times a year and occasionally Beziers. Every time I fly it means he hassle of flying from Bristol. It really grips my p*ss that I have to do that.
    I don’t what the figures involved are but Bristol airport owners pay out large sums of money to these carriers in order to ensure they are the preferred regional airport

I doubt WAG have the nous or the balls to go head to head over this.

Anyway I don’t know any aircraft that can take off at 20 mph

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5499783]
    If it wasn't for the Welsh government the airport would have closed down years ago.

Agree, i love flying from Cardiff, hate Bristol, it's horrible to get there. I have no idea what incentives could be offered by the Welsh Goverment in order to bring low cot airlines to Cardiff. We had Wizz pull out a couple of years back and apparently (Completely anecdotal on my part) the numbers were good. I think that ryanair do a winter route to the canaries from Cardiff, or did until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    They either govern Wales or the don't in the immortal words of Sir Kier the buck stops at the top, well in this case that's the WAG, and their woeful lack of aspiration
    I'll bear that in mind whenever something goes wrong in England that it must be the Westminster government's fault. After all, they either govern, or they don't.

Ignore. Post repeated...

What's the parking like there these days?
    I picked my daughter up from Bristol airport the other day - £6 for 10 minutes in their "Drop & Go" carpark. Bloody extortionate. They're not shy of fining people who accidentally end up in the wrong place either.
    Lots of flights from there, but I can't stand the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    What's the parking like there these days?
    I picked my daughter up from Bristol airport the other day - £6 for 10 minutes in their "Drop & Go" carpark. Bloody extortionate. They're not shy of fining people who accidentally end up in the wrong place either.
    Lots of flights from there, but I can't stand the place.
    And the £9 each way clean air zone charge if your vehicle doesn’t comply. Bet Bristol Airport we’re ecstatic about that.

Ah remember the small eastern airways plane that they used to use for Cardiff to Newport (and onwards to Aberdeen at one point). Not as bad as the Anglesey plane but you wouldn’t have got me on either. When a planes so small you can’t take your hand luggage in the cabin with you it’s a no for me lol

They are a small airline, but it's another example of how badly run that place is.

No new M4, 20mph roads, trains half empty and delayed, Cardiff airport on its arse, far less cruise ships than other parts of the UK etc etc.

Cardiff Bus is alright in fairness, but transport infrastructure in Wales is an absolute joke.

Why would any international business that relies on infrastructure come here?!

Bristol Airport cannot expand any further apparently

Cardiff has one of the biggest runways in the UK and has plenty of room for expansion

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And the £9 each way clean air zone charge if your vehicle doesn’t comply. Bet Bristol Airport we’re ecstatic about that.
    Proper socalist city

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Bristol Airport cannot expand any further apparently

Cardiff has one of the biggest runways in the UK and has plenty of room for expansion
    So you’d think it might sort itself out one day under decent mgt? It’s not like Bristol airport is in a decent location either, no fast road to it, just a coach from Bristol city centre. It just needs a couple of decent cheap airlines like easy jet but I guess with their links to Bristol it’s not going to happen. A transatlantic route would be ideal save going east to fly west again, shorter flight, big runway. Just needs to right fare to negate going to Heathrow or Gatwick.

This is where any linked-up thinking crumbles.

Scale baby, Scale. The fixed costs are amortised over fewer routes so the landing fee has to rise to cover the fixed costs. To reduce the landing fee's you need more flights, to get more flight you need to offer discounted rates to the airlines, at a loss to start. If you did decide to do that the airlines need to fill their planes. Geographically it knackered. Nothing south, few people live to the east of you, so its 20 miles north and west. West you have to travel through a bottleneck of biblical proportions and the alternative is non-existent public transport, which is an expensive train to Cardiff and a bus to the airport (same as most UK airports)

I remember Micheal O'Leary of Ryanair saying that CWL relied on the UK subsidy for keeping that very long runway in good condition as its the first transatlantic emergency landing strip

Its artificially been kept alive, it needed to move to severn junction region 20 years ago when that was first mooted

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So you’d think it might sort itself out one day under decent mgt? It’s not like Bristol airport is in a decent location either, no fast road to it, just a coach from Bristol city centre. It just needs a couple of decent cheap airlines like easy jet but I guess with their links to Bristol it’s not going to happen. A transatlantic route would be ideal save going east to fly west again, shorter flight, big runway. Just needs to right fare to negate going to Heathrow or Gatwick.
    Ryanair approach CWA before Bristol, but CWA were asking for their standard landing fees even though Ryanair said they would be dwarfed by what the airport would make over the years on concessions etc. Bristol saw this and gave them a very decent deal - the rest is history.

In terms of runway facilities, access, weather, Cardiff is far better placed than Bristol - which was used in WW2 to train pilots in foggy conditions, because it gets so much fog/mist.

And numbers ? Bristol just had OK to up to 12m from 10m, and yes, more than 50% of those will travel from this side of the bridge..

International

It's a shame it's a much nicer airport than Bristol, but has lost so much ground now I don't think it can ever catch up without some sort of UK grant.

Perhaps if Labour gets in, Gething can ask Starmer for a bit of help, I doubt it but maybe if they could build a big enough case for investment, Welsh Labour seems to prefer green measures over the economy, so he probably would prefer to close it down completely.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's a shame it's a much nicer airport than Bristol, but has lost so much ground now I don't think it can ever catch up without some sort of UK grant.

Perhaps if Labour gets in, Gething can ask Starmer for a bit of help, I doubt it but maybe if they could build a big enough case for investment, Welsh Labour seems to prefer green measures over the economy, so he probably would prefer to close it down completely.
    Just picking up on one point, are you suggesting that green issues only matter as long as the economy is ok? I, for one, get pissed off with the continual kicking of the can for the next generation to sort out. Other countries in the world, more affluent countries than ours seem to combine growth and green measures. Why not us?

International

Just picking up on one point, are you suggesting that green issues only matter as long as the economy is ok? I, for one, get pissed off with the continual kicking of the can for the next generation to sort out. Other countries in the world, more affluent countries than ours seem to combine growth and green measures. Why not us?
    I don't like the idea of Wales making changes losing competitiveness and lowering our standard of living to England, let the Scots do that.

If Welsh Labour want to be green global leaders make it MASSIVE in their manifesto, and see how that goes down with the Welsh public, if any of them can be arsed to read what they are voting for.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...or-says-report

Banner headline like growth for green are fine however at last even Sir Keir knows that just a spend of 1% of our GDP cost approximately £26 billion ,we also know to build that growth on shore say like wind turbines , electric cars, solar power , Zero Emission Boiler , car batteries all of whcih needs manufacturing , manufacturing needs energy that ( now ) has to come form fossil, just for oil type groups fund Labour and around and around we go ,shall we go left or right or just u turn ..

I.d rip up the plan , dig our our fossil reserves , build up our own manufacturing base of for green future world products .

Will we nah , we offshore the manufacturing and hypocritically point the finger at cheap labour countries like India / China for polluting the world

USA go it right frack and dig for fossil , fix the current economy then go for an achievable reduction ,not follow some stupid Ed Miliband chest pounding net zero banner to just attract naive voters

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I don't like the idea of Wales making changes losing competitiveness and lowering our standard of living to England, let the Scots do that.

If Welsh Labour want to be green global leaders make it MASSIVE in their manifesto, and see how that goes down with the Welsh public, if any of them can be arsed to read what they are voting for.
    Wouldn't make any difference. Green issues would strengthen the vote of younger people. It is the future, regardless of whether you, or other Tories, like it or not.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...or-says-report

Banner headline like growth for green are fine however at last even Sir Keir knows that just a spend of 1% of our GDP cost approximately £26 billion ,we also know to build that growth on shore say like wind turbines , electric cars, solar power , Zero Emission Boiler , car batteries all of whcih needs manufacturing , manufacturing needs energy that ( now ) has to come form fossil, just for oil type groups fund Labour and around and around we go ,shall we go left or right or just u turn ..

I.d rip up the plan , dig our our fossil reserves , build up our own manufacturing base of for green future world products .

Will we nah , we offshore the manufacturing and hypocritically point the finger at cheap labour countries like India / China for polluting the world

USA go it right frack and dig for fossil , fix the current economy then go for an achievable reduction ,not follow some stupid Ed Miliband chest pounding net zero banner to just attract naive voters
    Thought you were in favour of Thatcher closing the mines?