....I'll kick it off....

Higgs boson: The 'God Particle' explained

https://www.space.com/higgs-boson-go...cle-explained#

Re: The All Things GOD thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    ....I'll kick it off....

Very interesting - and accessible. Thanks for posting.

There is no god

Fella by me lost his daughter when she was just 40 , leaving 3 kids

His wife now has dementia

Last week I spoke to him about how he was just 6 weeks away from retirement

Two days ago found dead at work , heart attack , leaving his wife , with dementia , 2 sons and 5 grandchildren

A really nice , mellow guy

God is all powerful so Christians say

Well he's clearly not that powerful or he wouldn't have let this lovely guy pass away after having put up with so much stress and before he has a time to enjoy life

I suppose Christians would say God wanted him for heaven and other such rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Very interesting - and accessible. Thanks for posting.
    Mrs Citizen's idea of a romantic weekend away would be a trip to CERN. Yeah, it's a good piece. There's still a lot to get one's head around but it's a crazily fascinating area. It's a way of seeing life that forever changes your view of reality. Was reading about vacuums recently and that there is 'stuff' in them. Melon twisting.

Mrs Citizen's idea of a romantic weekend away would be a trip to CERN. Yeah, it's a good piece. There's still a lot to get one's head around but it's a crazily fascinating area. It's a way of seeing life that forever changes your view of reality. Was reading about vacuums recently and that there is 'stuff' in them. Melon twisting.
    CERN is all well and good but it can't create a talking snake, a paradise heaving with virgins or a half human/half elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    CERN is all well and good but it can't create a talking snake, a paradise heaving with virgins or a half human/half elephant.
    It's not like you to mention the Talking Snake.

Here we go again. Clueless idiots taking about a subject they know absolutely nothing about. Just like the main forum really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Here we go again. Clueless idiots taking about a subject they know absolutely nothing about.
    God or particle physics?

I’m disappointed guys. This was on open goal for someone to chip in a pun about hoovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Here we go again. Clueless idiots taking about a subject they know absolutely nothing about. Just like the main forum really.
    Well in fairness. The link I posted is about my limit tbh but do chip in.

Well in fairness. The link I posted is about my limit tbh but do chip in.
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's not like you to mention the Talking Snake.
    Yessss indeed.

....I'll kick it off....

Yep, thanks for posting that. Particle physics give me a hadron.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Yep, thanks for posting that. Particle physics give me a hadron.

.... strange, no mention of the talking Donkey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaam

Werner Heisenberg was stopped by the police for speeding. The policeman asked Heisenberg if he knew how fast he was going. "No," says Heisenburg, "but I do know exactly where I was."

Werner Heisenberg was stopped by the police for speeding. The policeman asked Heisenberg if he knew how fast he was going. "No," says Heisenburg, "but I do know exactly where I was."
    I hope that's a true story!

If yours can produce a talking Genie with his comparavitely limited abilities then I suggest you keep your money in your pocket.
    As for a paradise with virgins, that's an islamic fable, but thanks for giving it your best shot.

....I'll kick it off....

Every article, documentry and report I have seen on Higgs Boson has been so vague it's obvious they are dipping their toes in an ocean of knowledge they don't really understand.
    The irony is, they call it the 'God Particle' yet all along the majority working on it would love to prove their theories and confirm that no such Being ever existed! Talk about a hopeless cause.

The pride of mankind will never be exhausted

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Every article, documentry and report I have seen on Higgs Boson has been so vague it's obvious they are dipping their toes in an ocean of knowledge they don't really understand.
    The irony is, they call it the 'God Particle' yet all along the majority working on it would love to prove their theories and confirm that no such Being ever existed! Talk about a hopeless cause.

Did you actually read the article?

Did you actually read the article?
    Yes, it was very similar to the others I have seen.
    What about it convinces you that it's actually significant re the origin of life and the Universe?

Nothing. And it doesn't pretend to do that (well, for life anyway, it will help us understand the origins of the Universe). And nor are scientists doing all this to try and disprove the existence of God. The article explains the background to how it got dubbed the God particle and how scientists feel that's not helpful. Blame the media for that.

Nothing. And it doesn't pretend to do that (well, for life anyway, it will help us understand the origins of the Universe). And nor are scientists doing all this to try and disprove the existence of God. The article explains the background to how it got dubbed the God particle and how scientists feel that's not helpful. Blame the media for that.
    Well so far they are well behind justifying the billions already spent on the project and that is before they blow another 20 billion euros on a much bigger beast of a collider which may or may not go ahead over the next decade.

This is a section from THIS GUARDIAN ARTICLE which confirms all I have said about this project:-

"But since the discovery of the Higgs boson, the collider has not revealed any significant new physics that might shed light on some of the deepest mysteries of the universe, such as the nature of dark matter or dark energy, why matter dominates over antimatter, and whether reality is permeated with hidden extra dimensions.

Cern drew up plans for the next machine, the Future Circular Collider (FCC), in 2019. The €20bn (£17bn) machine would have a 91km circumference and aim to smash subatomic particles together at a maximum energy of 100 teraelectronvolts (TeV). The Large Hadron Collider achieves maximum energies of 14TeV.

The proposal has its critics, however. Sir David King, the UK’s former government chief scientific adviser, told the BBC that spending billions on the machine would be “reckless” when the world was facing such grave threats from the climate crisis."

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post

The quest of quantum physicists, especially in their study of the Higgs boson, is a journey deeply rooted in understanding the fundamental particles and forces that shape our universe.

The nickname 'God Particle,' coined more for its elusiveness and crucial role in particle physics than for any theological implications, often misleads people into thinking there's a direct confrontation with the concept of God or faith. However, it's crucial to distinguish that the objective of science is to explore and explain the natural world through empirical evidence and logical reasoning, not to disprove religious beliefs or the existence of a deity.

Most scientists, including quantum physicists, approach their work with an open-minded curiosity, driven by a desire to discover and understand, rather than to disprove religious or spiritual theories. Theories and experiments like those involving the Higgs boson are tools for unraveling the complexities of the physical universe, not for making statements about metaphysical beliefs.

Engaging in dialogues that pit science against faith, or vice versa, in a superior manner can be counterproductive and overlook the fact that many individuals find harmony in embracing both scientific understanding and spiritual beliefs.

Asserting one's faith or scientific viewpoint as superior can inadvertently reflect insecurity in one’s own beliefs rather than providing a robust defense of them. It's more constructive to recognise the vastness of both the known and the unknown.

Personally, I find articles like the one I posted inspire a sense of wonder and humility in me, regardless of personal beliefs.

If some god has a plan and uses, say earthquakes as a means of communication, then it seems perfectly logical that the same god could use the language and study of quantum physics too. In other words, that god, could use scientific language as a communication tool.

I've deliberately used a lower case 'god' to be inclusive of all gods and not single out any god or person who worships said god of their choice.

Personally, I find articles like the one I posted inspire a sense of wonder and humility in me, regardless of personal beliefs.

If some god has a plan and uses, say earthquakes as a means of communication, then it seems perfectly logical that the same god could use the language and study of quantum physics too. In other words, that god, could use scientific language as a communication tool.

I've deliberately used a lower case 'god' to be inclusive of all gods and not single out any god or person who worships said god of their choice.
    God's fingerprint can be found in good science and all sorts of science can be found in God's Word. It's a fact that Newton spent more time studying the (original) Hebrew & Greek text of the Bible than he did in his own research of the world around him!

The Bible makes this comment re the evidence we all have the opportunity to examine:-

For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God - Romans 1:20