+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would you have gone to Germany?

Would you have gone to Germany?

The biggest disappointment for me last night, was the trip a few of my old mates and I were planning, is now scuppered.
    When I first started going down the City in the late 70’s, there was a hard core of about 12 of us who’d walk down and back from Ely.
    Over the yrs, a few of them have moved to different parts of the UK, and a couple have moved abroad, and one has passed away. There are only 3 of us still living in Cardiff.
    We had managed to contact most of the guys, and 9 of us were gonna meet up in Germany for a week and relive the old days.
    On the chat group we have started, we’ve decided to meet up one weekend next season and go to a home game.
    That will be a decent 2nd best, but it’s a shame that the week in Germany is now kiboshed Some things just aren’t meant to be. Think most of us will have shuffled off our mortal coils before we qualify again.

Re: Would you have gone to Germany?

I think it's particularly gutting considering we were probably good enough to get there and where it is. Germany would rival France for how good a host it would be for the tournament and we've missed out. Add that to the fact the last 2 tournaments have effectively been write offs and that the next World Cup probably isn't feasible financially for almost everyone then it feels like a real missed opportunity for fans to got there

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The biggest disappointment for me last night, was the trip a few of my old mates and I were planning, is now scuppered.
    When I first started going down the City in the late 70’s, there was a hard core of about 12 of us who’d walk down and back from Ely.
    Over the yrs, a few of them have moved to different parts of the UK, and a couple have moved abroad, and one has passed away. There are only 3 of us still living in Cardiff.
    We had managed to contact most of the guys, and 9 of us were gonna meet up in Germany for a week and relive the old days.
    On the chat group we have started, we’ve decided to meet up one weekend next season and go to a home game.
    That will be a decent 2nd best, but it’s a shame that the week in Germany is now kiboshed Some things just aren’t meant to be. Think most of us will have shuffled off our mortal coils before we qualify again.
    Yes. Still am, as I'd booked a few flights when they were still an ok price a while back. I was worried though about the combined costs of match tickets, last minute flights, internal trains, accommodation, schnitzels, bratwursts and beer. It was my only small crumb of comfort this morning thinking of the money saved!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post

you could still go, take in a few other games, the football was just a vessel to see each other

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think it's particularly gutting considering we were probably good enough to get there and where it is. Germany would rival France for how good a host it would be for the tournament and we've missed out. Add that to the fact the last 2 tournaments have effectively been write offs and that the next World Cup probably isn't feasible financially for almost everyone then it feels like a real missed opportunity for fans to got there
    After the non event in Qatar and the weird euros before that, a nice trip to close by and easy Germany would have been lovely.
    Ah well….the OP should meet up abroad somewhere and watch a few games like many did for the World Cup…..albeit no Wales

Definitely….were hoping to leave on the 13th….didn’t book anything in advance though.

We had already booked hotels in the 3 base cities. I never intended going if we didn't get through and I cancelled the bookings as soon as I got in after the game. I'm not sure I can even watch it on tv it's so disappointing not to be there.

Only if it was a war