+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sensible Debate , Part Two

Re: Sensible Debate , Part Two

Those figures for Siopis prove where I was wrong in the past - back in the days under Russell Slade when we’d often be in the thirties when it came to possession, I’d preach that possession was everything. Since then, I’ve learned it’s not - for example, we had comfortably more of the ball (56/44?) than Sunderland on Friday for all of the good it did us and if you ever see a City possession figure in the sixties, it usually means we’ve lost. Passing without enough creativity like City do should be easy because there are few risky passes played, but the lack of basic techniques among some of our players makes even that look hard.
    To use an extreme example, a player like DeBruyne could have a passing accuracy rate of one hundred per cent if he was so minded, but he plays many passes with a high risk of failure because he’s trying to be creative and open up defences. Siopis’ job in whichever side he plays in should be to win the ball for his team’s more creative players, but a typical City side usually has up to nine players who are, at best, only capable of playing the very occasional defence splitting pass. We didn’t need Siopis because we had plenty of his type already.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Am I the only City fan who thinks Siopis is over rated and the sort of player we didn’t need?

As for Turnbull, I’d like to see a bit more of him before coming to a definitive opinion on him, but can anyone say that he’s done anything yet to justify his alleged transfer fee of £2 million or even a quarter of that sum?
    No, you’re spot on with Siopis.

Re Turnbull, he’s painfully slow in every sense. Takes so many touches for a start. Again, he’s just as advertised by Celtic fans. Is largely anonymous and is one of the slowest professionals out there.

According to who scored, Siopis gives the ball away 6 times a game. He makes 29 accurate passes a game.

I think he’s vastly overrated. He runs around a lot, gets brushed off a lot, gets bullied a lot and gives the ball away a lot. He started off well but he cannot play. He’s nowhere near the standard required of a promotion centre mid. Is he better than Gunnar? Given he’s been dropped for Ralls this season, I can’t see how he’s better than Ralls was in 17/18. People say he’s been brought down to our level, if you put Ampadu in this side, he’d been head and shoulders above everyone else, and given Ampadu is a CM (sometimes CB!) in this division, yes, the comparison is relevant. Or we could compare him to Ndidi, or Downes etc.

Bulut has vastly underestimated how good this league is. It is way more competitive than Turkish football and there is no way we are going to be able to buy our way out of this league worth players as good as Siopis and even Goutas. For a start, they can’t get into a terrible Greece side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    According to who scored, Siopis gives the ball away 6 times a game. He makes 29 accurate passes a game.

I think he’s vastly overrated. He runs around a lot, gets brushed off a lot, gets bullied a lot and gives the ball away a lot. He started off well but he cannot play. He’s nowhere near the standard required of a promotion centre mid. Is he better than Gunnar? Given he’s been dropped for Ralls this season, I can’t see how he’s better than Ralls was in 17/18. People say he’s been brought down to our level, if you put Ampadu in this side, he’d been head and shoulders above everyone else, and given Ampadu is a CM (sometimes CB!) in this division, yes, the comparison is relevant. Or we could compare him to Ndidi, or Downes etc.

Bulut has vastly underestimated how good this league is. It is way more competitive than Turkish football and there is no way we are going to be able to buy our way out of this league worth players as good as Siopis and even Goutas. For a start, they can’t get into a terrible Greece side.
    Don’t disagree with that but sometimes you get what you pay for, Ampadu 7m, Ndidi 17m, Downes 12m. The midfield has been poor for some time and despite Turnbull and Siopis coming in we are no better at solving the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Don’t disagree with that but sometimes you get what you pay for, Ampadu 7m, Ndidi 17m, Downes 12m. The midfield has been poor for some time and despite Turnbull and Siopis coming in we are no better at solving the issue.
    We are worse, as they’re clogging up wages and fees that could have been spent on someone else. Turnbull is now 4th choice. Siopis isn’t much better than Ralls or Wintle, he certainly doesn’t solve any problems.

We are in the world we live in, it’s not going to get easier to get out of this league. Siopis was described as a “gamechanger” signing. He is anything but.

We are worse, as they’re clogging up wages and fees that could have been spent on someone else. Turnbull is now 4th choice. Siopis isn’t much better than Ralls or Wintle, he certainly doesn’t solve any problems.

We are in the world we live in, it’s not going to get easier to get out of this league. Siopis was described as a “gamechanger” signing. He is anything but.
    Turnbull starts.

Turnbull starts.
    So on Friday, Turnbull wasn't deemed good enough to come off the bench behind 3 others we tried there and now he starts

Needs a brutal closed season with Rubin, needs to add a few kg's of muscle onto the pair of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    83.% accurate passes for the 2023-2024 season. [Sofa Score]

StT.
    <><
    On the surface that looks like a decent stat. However there is 17% pass failure. That 17% could be more sigifigant if he is giving the ball away in our half. As he has had 0 assists this season it would seem that the 83% pass success rate hasn't really benefited us

Siopis played for Greece last week.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Siopis played for Greece last week.
    Came off the bench when they lost to ten man Georgia. He doesn't start.

Ralls and Siopis gave us a good base today, Turnbull was composed on the ball as well.

I noticed NG drifted infield a lot today but its still so static and safe. It worked again today but the wingers have to work miracles as they are 1 against 2 with little support as Ng was a midfielder in possession and Collins isn't trusted to cross halfway

Two sitters is fine but there needs to be more attacking intent on the flanks and that will cost money

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Ralls and Siopis gave us a good base today, Turnbull was composed on the ball as well.

I noticed NG drifted infield a lot today but its still so static and safe. It worked again today but the wingers have to work miracles as they are 1 against 2 with little support as Ng was a midfielder in possession and Collins isn't trusted to cross halfway

Two sitters is fine but there needs to be more attacking intent on the flanks and that will cost money
    I only seen the second half but thought Collins did better than he had previously.

Thought he did well today but he’s not a 10, longer term replacement for Ralls as the 8 as he brings the ball forward well and looks solid between both boxes. I’d think he’s got enough to be a very decent player at this level if Bulut trusts him.

I’d like to see him play Turnbull and Ralls with Colwill/Ramsey in the 10 at home for the rest of the campaign where possible, that’s a midfield that should allow us to play on the front foot a bit.

I only seen the second half but thought Collins did better than he had previously.
    Started shaky and was targeted often early including for the goal, was ready to write him off but then he was good for the last 60-70 mins IMO, encouraging performance

Collins is out of contract in the summer I believe. I’ll be surprised if he stays here. Just a guess, but I reckon he’ll end up moving on.

after seeing Bulut for nearly a season I wouldn't be surprised to see three at the back and wingbacks if he is here next season

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Collins is out of contract in the summer I believe. I’ll be surprised if he stays here. Just a guess, but I reckon he’ll end up moving on.
    I thought he recently reached a point where his contract could be extended by a further year?

Whatever happens we still need another LB to challenge for that place

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I thought he recently reached a point where his contract could be extended by a further year?
    You’re right, I’d missed that. Just found the report. Not sure about Collins to be honest. He has some decent games, but overall I’m not convinced.

You’re right, I’d missed that. Just found the report. Not sure about Collins to be honest. He has some decent games, but overall I’m not convinced.
    If he stays, I’d like to see him as the back up LB, like you I’m not convinced by his performance this season.

I’m pretty sure his appearances meant another year.
    If he’s out of contract I agree he will move on.

Like most people I’ve been wrong on countless occasions. The best example I can think of was Vincent Tan’s rebrand. Firstly, I didn’t believe any football club owner would be stupid enough to do something like that on a whim, but I was wrong. Secondly, I didn’t believe for a second that the vast majority of Cardiff City fans would willingly surrender their club’s identity in exchange for Malaysian money, but I was hopelessly wrong on that one too.

As for quoting posts, I only quote the bits I’m either taking issue with or directly addressing. I don’t see the point in quoting entire posts if you have nothing to say about the majority of what has been written. Doing so is pretty dumb in my book.

As for Siopis, if his passing really is of a high standard then I must have been watching someone else. As a rule he contributes next to nothing in an attacking sense and he frequently gives the ball away if he’s attempting to pass it more than a few yards. That’s the Siopis I’ve been seeing since he arrived here. But if some obscure stats website says differently and people want to believe he’s good on the ball, then fair enough.
    I thought you were never watching the city again when the rebrand came about ,what made you change your mind ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I thought you were never watching the city again when the rebrand came about ,what made you change your mind ?
    You thought wrong. But never mind.

You thought wrong. But never mind.
    Cause and effect I’d say ……

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Cause and effect I’d say ……
    I have no idea what you mean. But never mind.