+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Massive Progress at the Club Under Bulut

Re: Massive Progress at the Club Under Bulut

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Hudson all season and we'd have conceded less again and gone down, it's about balance.

I would guess we conceded a lot of those goals in the first thirteen games when were were more entertaining.
    None of which alters the fact that what dml said is very likely to be wrong.

Here’s a question for you. How do we get the set pieces (corners/free kicks) that we score these goals from?

My, no evidence, belief is that they come from us moving the ball forward in an often well worked way but then our end product (from not very good forward play) are tame shots that are deflected by defenders for corners. We’d all like to see more of those shots hit the back of the net directly BUT the fact that we have someone who delivers a good corner more often than not I.e. Joe Ralls, means that we score from a good percentage and are therefore not suffering from relegation anxiety this year. This analysis is another way of saying the team as a whole is pretty good but we’re lacking the attackers who’ve got the killer instinct. We are holding on to the ball better than last season. The glaringly obvious occasion when we didn’t was Swansea where we reverted to hit and hope and looked like we were crapping ourselves every time the ball came near us.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWent76 View Post
    Here’s a question for you. How do we get the set pieces (corners/free kicks) that we score these goals from?

My, no evidence, belief is that they come from us moving the ball forward in an often well worked way but then our end product (from not very good forward play) are tame shots that are deflected by defenders for corners. We’d all like to see more of those shots hit the back of the net directly BUT the fact that we have someone who delivers a good corner more often than not I.e. Joe Ralls, means that we score from a good percentage and are therefore not suffering from relegation anxiety this year. This analysis is another way of saying the team as a whole is pretty good but we’re lacking the attackers who’ve got the killer instinct. We are holding on to the ball better than last season. The glaringly obvious occasion when we didn’t was Swansea where we reverted to hit and hope and looked like we were crapping ourselves every time the ball came near us.
    People expect too much from ralls , Wintle and siopis

They are ball winners and spoilers

Ralls and to a lesser extent Wintle can deliver a free kick or corner well

Our problem is the complete lack of a goalscorer up front , as you suggest ........and a creative forward moving midfielder

Ramsey or Colwill , if they are fit , for example

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If being less creative and worse defensively than a side that nearly went down last season is progress, then hell yes, we've had progress.
    All this positivity is not like you Eric !

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    All this positivity is not like you Eric !
    I think the points are the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    A while ago we'd almost scored double the amount of goals from set pieces as any other side in the Championship. That gap has narrowed.

In 2020/21 we scored 27 from open play.
    In 2021/22 we scored 29 from open play.
    In 2022/23 we scored 28 from open play.

This season we've scored 19. Only 4 teams across the 4 divisions have scored less from open play on average per game than us. That's embarrassing. That shows how utterly clueless we are when we attack. When goals from set pieces dry up, we lose games.

We might have to agree to disagree here, but if our main aim is hoping to score from set pieces because we're rubbish as an attacking force, I couldn't care less how many games we've managed to pinch, it's a fact that, without set pieces, we'd be in the bottom 3. That's how crap our football has been this season.
    no offence, as i enjoy some of the historical stuff you post but all that means nothing to prove your opinion, which you and the others are perfectly entitled too. Producing historical facts like that has zero usefulness in the here and now. The football is shit, however, The table is universally accepted in this sport across the world on how teams are judged on performance* (*not entertainment!).

In everything you post, it lacks many fundamentals for data comparison, its purely superficial historical data points. My opinion is you post these mainly as a subversive context but it fails to address many, if not all of the principles around data analysis.... Accuracy and precision, closeness, tolerance, tightly clusted, mean, bias, ISO standard, confirmation bias, outliers, funding..... Whilst you are right to use your data to get the the route of the problem, you have to always challenge the data, ask WHY? ...... your data is accurate, i trust that, but jesus h christ son give it a rest to validate your opinion. The league table is the measurement of performance.

Yes the football is shit, has been for years, Paul Parry scoring a winner in open play is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    no offence, as i enjoy some of the historical stuff you post but all that means nothing to prove your opinion, which you and the others are perfectly entitled too. Producing historical facts like that has zero usefulness in the here and now. The football is shit, however, The table is universally accepted in this sport across the world on how teams are judged on performance* (*not entertainment!).

In everything you post, it lacks many fundamentals for data comparison, its purely superficial historical data points. My opinion is you post these mainly as a subversive context but it fails to address many, if not all of the principles around data analysis.... Accuracy and precision, closeness, tolerance, tightly clusted, mean, bias, ISO standard, confirmation bias, outliers, funding..... Whilst you are right to use your data to get the the route of the problem, you have to always challenge the data, ask WHY? ...... your data is accurate, i trust that, but jesus h christ son give it a rest to validate your opinion. The league table is the measurement of performance.

Yes the football is shit, has been for years, Paul Parry scoring a winner in open play is meaningless.
    Ere SON wind yer neck in. We like Eric and his stats round these parts.

Couldnt agree more.
    But lets try and be a little more negative , fit in with the gloom and doom merchants of which there are many

goal scoring off corners is around 4 to 8 percent, depends how you measure, 2nd phase etc... So conceding from corners is an issue, scoring is a bonus giving those statistics, even if you go top end. All top teams, the best of the best, have teams of set piece coaches, data "scientists" and google/oracle etc AI'ing the ****ing shit out of each and every one, simulations running in the millions, factoring in humidity, wind, temperature, fatigue (all whilst the game is going on) for the slightest advantage on these situations. Yet for the footballing gods of cardiff city, set plays and scoring from them are a dirty word and are a derogatory damnation. To be honest i think this topics to a few is ore dirty then playing in red for 2 seasons!

I couldn’t care less how we score but neither can I be ‘happy’ with the bare league table after what I have personally witnessed game after game after game this season.

goal scoring off corners is around 4 to 8 percent, depends how you measure, 2nd phase etc... So conceding from corners is an issue, scoring is a bonus giving those statistics, even if you go top end. All top teams, the best of the best, have teams of set piece coaches, data "scientists" and google/oracle etc AI'ing the ****ing shit out of each and every one, simulations running in the millions, factoring in humidity, wind, temperature, fatigue (all whilst the game is going on) for the slightest advantage on these situations. Yet for the footballing gods of cardiff city, set plays and scoring from them are a dirty word and are a derogatory damnation. To be honest i think this topics to a few is ore dirty then playing in red for 2 seasons!
    Just to confirm, it's not the scoring from set pieces that I have issues with. It's the reliance on them as our creativity from open play is very poor and I have a suspicion that we play to win corners, which is a bit shit.

I wouldn't say it was massive progress, it's a bit better points wise but the football is absolute dross.

Being safe in March after a relegation battle last year and only surviving after another team had a points deduction can be seen as nothing other than progress. Regardless of the quality of football. It's not like we were easy on the eye last season. Or the season before.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Being safe in March after a relegation battle last year and only surviving after another team had a points deduction can be seen as nothing other than progress. Regardless of the quality of football. It's not like we were easy on the eye last season. Or the season before.
    So you agree the football quality hasn't improved.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

I was looking at the league table of successful surgical teams the other day. My favourite team (Slashtag United) had 22 patients die on the operating table last season. This season they've only had 11. That's a 50% improvement rate. Go Slashers!

Far too many people on here are armchair football pundits who watch sky sports

Endless silly statistics and analysis

We have never really been a footballing team and that's good because basic percentage football with drilled training of free kicks , throw ins , corners and direct play always gives you a chance especially when you don't have a lot of quality in the squad

People were having a go at our midfield the other day but do they except Modric pulling the strings ff sake ?

It's all very romantic wishing for football to be played on the floor and for Cardiff City to have the next pep but some of you really do need to give your heads a wobble

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Hello

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Hello

Hello
    Is the football better to watch this season as opposed to last season. If it is then happy days

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Is the football better to watch this season as opposed to last season. If it is then happy days
    Yes

Should our league position be reassessed in the light of our Chairman’s claims about our wage bill? Mid table mediocrity while playing dull, defensive football most of the time would be viewed as failure by other teams spending as much as we have since Bulut arrived. = I find it hard to believe we have the sixth highest wage bill, but I can believe we’re in the top ten.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I was looking at the league table of successful surgical teams the other day. My favourite team (Slashtag United) had 22 patients die on the operating table last season. This season they've only had 11. That's a 50% improvement rate. Go Slashers!
    The stupidest analogy ever but if you are going to make it if those stats were true in the Heath Hospital last year, that would be amazing, but it's probably going the other way judging by the way the Welsh NHS is going.

The stupidest analogy ever but if you are going to make it if those stats were true in the Heath Hospital last year, that would be amazing, but it's probably going the other way judging by the way the Welsh NHS is going.
    But they'd be fine if Dr. A Ramsey and Dr C'Odowda hadn't been on long term sick, right?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    But they'd be fine if Dr. A Ramsey and Dr C'Odowda hadn't been on long term sick, right?
    Aye even better than now, from 21st to 11th in the league without them

Some would say saving these people with solid teamwork and following set play operations is no good, we should be saving them freely taking chances, and seeing what happens, it's the wrong type of life-saving, and who cares if more people have survived

If you're going to call out an analogy at least understand its intent. It was a reply to the statistical critique of Eric's statistical critique highlighting that one statisticall measurement can be flawed and correct at the same time. It's a bit like Schrödinger's cat really.....but using a whippet. I suspect that'll whoosh you too.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 05-04-24 at 09:11. Reason: Made it simpler for NCB to understand