+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building for next season - reality check

Building for next season - reality check

It's pretty obvious that, as the season has gone on, we've got worse. We've had two good wins over Ipswich and Coventry recently, beaten a couple of other sides we'd expect to beat and have generally been well beaten by everyone else. It might be odd to say this, but I feel no different at the moment to how I did at the end of last season. We've got a lot of players who aren't really up to much at this level, recruitment has been average all season. Bulut shoulders some of the responsibility for our poor performances.

If we're going to make some proper progress next season, what needs to happen? Who should stay, who should go?

Re: Building for next season - reality check

It wouldn’t be so bad, if we were getting beat in tight games, or missing lots of chances, but we are absolute gash. So inconsistent
    I’m seriously thinking of not going to any more games this season, as it’s just too depressing and frustrating.
    It’s difficult to pin point who should stay, and who should go.
    In an ideal world, we’d bin the manager and the whole squad, and start again.
    I can’t even be bothered to reply to this thread with a constructive opinion,
    Gonna settle down with the Mrs, and find a decent film on Netflix.

Building for next season you say yet still don't give any pitch time to youngsters whilst journey men loan signings get on or even start.
    It wasn't going to effect anything today even if he picked the tea boy or the cleaner.
    Give the kids a go you put them in the squad ya dick.

It will never change as long as we are constantly relying on loan signings. They should be 1 or 2 nice additions to a first 11 not the bulk of the team. It all comes down to poor recruitment and scratching around in the final weeks of every transfer window. The club is a joke right to the very top

We need new ownership. We have two options currently, carry on with this manager or bring another one in, it’s a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. Bulut’s going to bore everyone rigid again if he stays and Tan’ll make another crap choice of manager if he goes

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's pretty obvious that, as the season has gone on, we've got worse. We've had two good wins over Ipswich and Coventry recently, beaten a couple of other sides we'd expect to beat and have generally been well beaten by everyone else. It might be odd to say this, but I feel no different at the moment to how I did at the end of last season. We've got a lot of players who aren't really up to much at this level, recruitment has been average all season. Bulut shoulders some of the responsibility for our poor performances.

If we're going to make some proper progress next season, what needs to happen? Who should stay, who should go?
    If the squad is as poor as last season is Bulut massively over achieving?

Re: Building for next season - reality check I did not gp today This is4 thatch I have MISSED ķust çamt be arsed any more

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It wouldn’t be so bad, if we were getting beat in tight games, or missing lots of chances, but we are absolute gash. So i
    I’m seriously thinking of not going to any more games this season, as t’s just too depressing and frustrating.
    It’s difficult to pin point who should stay, and who should go.
    In an ideal world, we’d bin the manager and the whole squad, and start again.
    I can’t even be bothered to reply to this thread with a constructive opinion,
    Gonna settle down with the Mrs, and find a decent film on Netflix.
    9i

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    If the squad is as poor as last season is Bulut massively over achieving?
    Or did we seriously underachieve last season?

I think Bulut has made us streetwise and got us to battle, but he hasn't improved the footballing side of things one iota.

I'm struggling to think who I would keep next season. Personally, I wouldn't pay anything over £1m for any of our loan players. That probably rules all of them out. I might stretch to £1.5m for Philips. In terms of Bulut's permanent signings: I would sell Siopis, he is just too weak, he was embarrassingly out-muscled by Philogene today and his passing is shocking. I'm seeing no evidence that Turnbull is cut-out for the championship. If we can get our money back i would sell. I would keep Goutas and Horvarth. That leaves Ramsey {unless he retires}, Colwill, Ralls, Wintle {TBH I would sell him if we could}, Tanner, Romeo, NG, O'Dowda, McGuiness, Alnwick and our youngsters and loanees. With the exception of Goutas and Horvarth they are not Bulut's players. So, i would let Bulut go and get someone who knows what is needed for the Championship.

Or did we seriously underachieve last season?

I think Bulut has made us streetwise and got us to battle, but he hasn't improved the footballing side of things one iota.
    Probably a bit of both.

I’m confident Bulut will get results but I don’t see the performances improving. A bit like Malky he’s a percentages manager.

Probably a bit of both.

I’m confident Bulut will get results but I don’t see the performances improving. A bit like Malky he’s a percentages manager.
    I think that's grossly unfair on Malky. We did play some terrific stuff under him until we lost at Charlton in our promotion season. Then he went all defensive as we conceded too many goals.

I think that's grossly unfair on Malky. We did play some terrific stuff under him until we lost at Charlton in our promotion season. Then he went all defensive as we conceded too many goals.
    Can’t say I was a fan, found it boring. Don Cowie wide is boring after spending big money.

Can’t say I was a fan, found it boring. Don Cowie wide is boring after spending big money.
    But Cowie would often tuck into centre midfield as well, he had one hell of an engine. I thought he was quite underrated and got forward far more than Ralls, Wintle or Siopis ever do.

But Cowie would often tuck into centre midfield as well, he had one hell of an engine. I thought he was quite underrated and got forward far more than Ralls, Wintle or Siopis ever do.
    Yeah it’s percentages, it’s fine, that’s another debate, I find the managers very similar.

Either the players turned the manager into something not fit for purpose. Or the manager turned the players into something not fit for purpose.

Totally agree. He was a 7 out of 10 most weeks. Nothing spectacular but a good solid player, consistent and someone who never let the team down. Very underated.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We need new ownership. We have two options currently, carry on with this manager or bring another one in, it’s a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. Bulut’s going to bore everyone rigid again if he stays and Tan’ll make another crap choice of manager if he goes

It appears that a problem for is we're predictable. The keeper (both Alnwick and Horvath have done this) plays it to NG who plays it to Bowler who cuts inside and shoots, more often than not off target.

Meite is a strapping lad who is constantly whinging and we don't have a striker to cause opposition defenders hassle.

We don't have a consistent pairing in midfield. Siopis has not been playing as he was in the first third of the season and Turnbull looks unsure of his role.

Ralls worked very hard today and was unfortunate to be on the losing side.

Our defence seems OK but are prone to lapses in concentration. The back line work hard.

First thing that I would do is get rid of the commentary/media team.

As for the squad, it’s limited but Bulut hasn’t helped himself when he had most people on board.

Has anyone from the local press asked him about playing loan players instead of youngsters on our books when there isn’t much at stake?

I went yesterday, I thought it was only a select few on here calling for the kids to be played but I heard plenty of people say it where I was sat. People bemused on why we are playing Bowler when he's so shit on he's a loan player.

How do you build for next season and leave young Ashford on the bench and bring of. ****ing Diedhou who's on loan and also ****ing shit.

My head went as soon as we kicked off passed back to Phillips and launched the ball forward, and didn't touch it for the next 2 minutes, we launch it upfield basically giving up possession without being challenged for it straight off kick off, then during then game we then try and keep the ball by slowly and pointlessly passing it about.

Also that drum. Jesus ****ing Nelly who blows them ****ing idiots to aimlessly bang that drum with absolutely no rhythm or meaning all game? Then when the canton do sing a few they bang louder basically drowning out the only section of fans making any noise. Utterly clueless wally's. Ban the drum.

I was disappointed from the start yesterday, when the team was announced and Ralls, Siopis and Turnbull were our midfield. I was hoping we’d have been more positive in taking the game to Hull but that didn’t really happen. I don’t see why Turnbull was bought for £2 million because in the games I’ve seen him play, he's just not worth it. As others have said,we’re safe so why not give the youngsters a chance, at least they would bring some energy to the team and give them some experience. Buluts substitutions were hardly inspiring as he changed like for like where we could have had a real go at Hull and possibly snatched a point. I left early, which I rarely do, because I was so pissed off with the way we were playing but I’ll renew my season ticket, hoping that things will improve, under this manager or somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm kidding myself that all's quiet on the manager because there's a grand plan and we've someone lined up already to takeover in June 🙄

To be honest and it's been building up for a while....Im done with it for now, I have better things to do, been living in Spain for the last month - and probably going to spend more time over there in the coming months / year.
    The weather is great, the food is cheap, I no longer have to work to live (but I still run a business), I honestly cant be bothered to sit there in cold and wet watching utter dross. After 40 odd years - I'm taking a rest

If Bulut's Contract is extended then we are all going to have to accept (If we haven't already) that the best we can hope for is a more polished version of what we are witnessing now. That means that he's going to have to recruit at least 4 or 5 players who can carry out his system. That's likely to be beyond him and his staff, but in my opinion it's the only option because Bulut isn't going to change the way he plays.

Is it achievable? In my opinion it is. If Bulut can get the defence and midfield tighter, almost playing as one, which is what he likes, and a 10 in the mould of a more skilful, better vision, eye for goal siopis, with wide players that can make a big impact for 60 minutes, then the system could bring relative success.

I'm not advocating it, i don't want it, and i wont watch it. I have much better things to do with my time at this point in my life, so i do hope that people don't think that i'm supporting bulut or want what he is offering, far from it. I don't take it personally, i don't care enough in all honesty. I'm not going to dig my heels in like some do in order to be proved correct on the internet, something that happens regularly on here and it ruins debate, it gets personal.

So. in short, i do think that there's a possibility of bulut producing a squad that can be affective at this level. It's still possible for team to nullify the opposition at Championship level, and that's a tactic that Bulut likes. With the correct recruitment he may have a chance. Although good luck to thoe of you who want to watch that turgid crap