+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EGG, Ospreys moving out of the “TIN SHACK”

EGG, Ospreys moving out of the “TIN SHACK”

Bradley, who was appointed CEO in January, has been focused on relocating the team to a new stadium, with Brewery Field one of three potential options alongside St Helen's in Swansea and The Gnoll in Neath. While a decision is yet to be reached, he already knows that the move away from the Swansea.com Stadium is the correct one with his thinking somewhat confirmed by Saturday's win.

Will this reduce the Jacks income ?

Re: EGG, Ospreys moving out of the “TIN SHACK”

It’s not that bad a stadium to be honest and it generates a good atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s not that bad a stadium to be honest and it generates a good atmosphere.
    The Liberty ?

It's the perfect size for Swansea

And our stadium is far too big for us unless we are in the top flight

I personally think one of the main reasons why we are so crap at home is the awful atmosphere of a half empty ground

Pretty sure it's council owned isn't it?

Bridgend would be silly to be the new location, as too near Cardiff...
    They should play in Neath or Llanelli.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Liberty ?

I personally think one of the main reasons why we are so crap at home is the awful atmosphere of a half empty ground
    The crap football and shit home record probably has more to do with it

Codswallop.

Some of our crowds in our Warnock promotion season weren't great. Didn't stop us winning promotion. Rubbish crowds didn't stop us winning promotion from the old Division 4 at Ninian Park.

I will agree that the atmosphere is awful at home games, though. It's been pretty abysmal when we've nearly sold out for the defeats at home to Swansea.

I have yet to hear an ex-player/pundit say that it's up to the fans to generate an atmosphere. They'll all say it's up to the players to start at a high tempo and get the fans behind them.

I also think that we've got a new generation of fans who don't chant that much during games, regardless of how well or poorly we play. How many new chants do we hear at home games? When was the last time we had a chant that stuck for several games? I can't remember one. I don't think this is just a Cardiff City thing, either. I notice it a lot when I watch football on TV that fans don't tend to sing and chant as they did 20 years ago.

So, no I don't think a half empty, quiet stadium makes too much of a difference. I reckon there's far more that affects our home form and it ain't to do with the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Codswallop.

Some of our crowds in our Warnock promotion season weren't great. Didn't stop us winning promotion. Rubbish crowds didn't stop us winning promotion from the old Division 4 at Ninian Park.

I will agree that the atmosphere is awful at home games, though. It's been pretty abysmal when we've nearly sold out for the defeats at home to Swansea.

I have yet to hear an ex-player/pundit say that it's up to the fans to generate an atmosphere. They'll all say it's up to the players to start at a high tempo and get the fans behind them.

I also think that we've got a new generation of fans who don't chant that much during games, regardless of how well or poorly we play. How many new chants do we hear at home games? When was the last time we had a chant that stuck for several games? I can't remember one. I don't think this is just a Cardiff City thing, either. I notice it a lot when I watch football on TV that fans don't tend to sing and chant as they did 20 years ago.

So, no I don't think a half empty, quiet stadium makes too much of a difference. I reckon there's far more that affects our home form and it ain't to do with the fans.
    You have said that a couple of times Eric. I was watching the Forest - Spurs game on Sunday and the commentator (and co commentator) said a few times that Spurs needed their crowd to lift them. It is not uncommon.

That said, I agree the responsibility for the atmosphere rests mainly with the team on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You have said that a couple of times Eric. I was watching the Forest - Spurs game on Sunday and the commentator (and co commentator) said a few times that Spurs needed their crowd to lift them. It is not uncommon.

That said, I agree the responsibility for the atmosphere rests mainly with the team on the pitch.
    I've heard commentators say that, but they're not ex players.

I would agree that there might be times in a game where fans need to give their team a lift. We've seen it with Wales and singing of the national anthem in particular. That certainly doesn't happen with Cardiff City (and probably lots of other club sides). I think, in our case, it's nothing to do with a half empty stadium, but the feeling of "here we go again".

I wasn't at the Ipswich game due to illness. I wonder if the atmosphere was better then?

I wasn't at the Ipswich game due to illness. I wonder if the atmosphere was better then?

From the 93rd to the 99th minute, it was ecstatic

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

From the 93rd to the 99th minute, it was ecstatic
    Was that euphoria or shock?

Codswallop.

The ground is dead

Even 20 k and the place is lifeless

Put 20 k in a 26 000 stadium and things would be a lot better

The ground is too big

The ground is dead

The ground is too big
    So 20k not singing or chanting in a 26k stadium would be better than 20k not singing or chanting in a 32k stadium? This is going to take some working out.....

Similarly, what about the days when Ninian Park could create quite a racket when it wasn't even half full?

So 20k not singing or chanting in a 26k stadium would be better than 20k not singing or chanting in a 32k stadium? This is going to take some working out.....

Similarly, what about the days when Ninian Park could create quite a racket when it wasn't even half full?
    I had season tickets for me and the kids for the ospreys when they first went to the liberty and there were some great nights atmosphere especially in the European cup but the TV timings ruined most attendances as it varied so much but it was a depressing place with really low attendances - much better to share it between stradey and the gnoll in my humble opinion - better experience and better atmosphere

As for our place - far too big for us and the size of our club regardless of the odd sell out when in the prem or promotion championship games but atmosphere is created by the entertainment and the example i would use would be the reading game when promoted under Warnock - my memory of that was that it was a dreadful game and very little atmosphere until news started to filter through that Fulham were losing

Been some great atmospheres in the new stadium and some terrible ones and the same at ninian park regardless of the crowd size - one advantage ninian had was terracing which I feel adds something to watching football that all seaters or standing by seats doesn't offer

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Bridgend would be silly to be the new location, as too near Cardiff...
    They should play in Neath or Llanelli.
    You'll find that the Ospreys won't be welcome in Llanelli.

International

Neath is the obvious choice and it may help the club survive.

The Liberty ?

MK Dons are on the verge of promotion with an 80% empty stadium.

QPR and Plymouth are staring down the barrel of relegation with 90% full stadiums.

I won’t even mention Rotherham…

The ground is dead

The ground is too big
    20k? Come on. There's barely half that most games. I know it's announced as 20k but......

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Bradley, who was appointed CEO in January, has been focused on relocating the team to a new stadium, with Brewery Field one of three potential options alongside St Helen's in Swansea and The Gnoll in Neath. While a decision is yet to be reached, he already knows that the move away from the Swansea.com Stadium is the correct one with his thinking somewhat confirmed by Saturday's win.

Will this reduce the Jacks income ?
    This was announced months ago. No news since then though?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I had season tickets for me and the kids for the ospreys when they first went to the liberty and there were some great nights atmosphere especially in the European cup but the TV timings ruined most attendances as it varied so much but it was a depressing place with really low attendances - much better to share it between stradey and the gnoll in my humble opinion - better experience and better atmosphere

As for our place - far too big for us and the size of our club regardless of the odd sell out when in the prem or promotion championship games but atmosphere is created by the entertainment and the example i would use would be the reading game when promoted under Warnock - my memory of that was that it was a dreadful game and very little atmosphere until news started to filter through that Fulham were losing

Been some great atmospheres in the new stadium and some terrible ones and the same at ninian park regardless of the crowd size - one advantage ninian had was terracing which I feel adds something to watching football that all seaters or standing by seats doesn't offer
    The reading game? Are you sure??

Warnock said was the loudest he has ever heard a set of fans. We're the famous cardiff city........ that song peaked that day. Been downhill since then mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    MK Dons are on the verge of promotion with an 80% empty stadium.

QPR and Plymouth are staring down the barrel of relegation with 90% full stadiums.

I won’t even mention Rotherham…
    I am a Cardiff City fan I have no idea about the atmospheres at QPR etc

The ground is too big for us

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    20k? Come on. There's barely half that most games. I know it's announced as 20k but......
    Well I wasn't going to say it but 12 to 14 k is our approximate gate for a lot of our games

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    The reading game? Are you sure??

Warnock said was the loudest he has ever heard a set of fans. We're the famous cardiff city........ that song peaked that day. Been downhill since then mind.
    Doesn't stick in my mind in terms of atmosphere and be fair Warnock does come out with some pearlers doesn't he - he knows how to play to a crowd 🤔 he's my kind of person

If the arrest at the Wrexham game the other day is anything to go by then our limited repertoire of uninventive chants is about to get a whole lot slimmer, almost certainly without replacement.

I am a Cardiff City fan I have no idea about the atmospheres at QPR etc

The ground is too big for us
    Don’t you go to away games? You complain about out away crowds quite a lot so I assume you’re a regular.