+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mechanics on here

Mechanics on here

I have a car whereby when the engine is turned off, you can move through the gears when in neutral. When the engine is turned on, you cannot move between gears, in fact you cannot put the car into first gear.

Is this likely to be clutch places, clutch fluid or a knackered gear box?

Re: Mechanics on here

I just googled it for you.

The main reason the car won't go into gear is that the level of car transmission fluid in the vehicle is lower or higher than the required limit. If the level is low despite regular maintenance, there may be a leak. Whereas, excessive transmission fluid may result in trouble shifting gears and gear slippage.

Prob something different but it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I just googled it for you.

The main reason the car won't go into gear is that the level of car transmission fluid in the vehicle is lower or higher than the required limit. If the level is low despite regular maintenance, there may be a leak. Whereas, excessive transmission fluid may result in trouble shifting gears and gear slippage.

Prob something different but it's a start.
    That sounds like a diagnosis for an auto box. My money is on the clutch

Clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    I have a car whereby when the engine is turned off, you can move through the gears when in neutral. When the engine is turned on, you cannot move between gears, in fact you cannot put the car into first gear.

Is this likely to be clutch places, clutch fluid or a knackered gear box?
    Book your car in with Jimmy the Jock, if you’re based in the Cardiff area, sorted all sorts of problems out with loads of different cars for my family

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    That sounds like a diagnosis for an auto box. My money is on the clutch
    Spot on .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Spot on .
    Out of interest how long are clutches expected to last? Had my car 7 years now and it's still fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Out of interest how long are clutches expected to last? Had my car 7 years now and it's still fine.
    Depends how you drive. If you change gear a lot and slip the clutch it won't last as long as it would otherwise.