+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: FT: MILLWALL 3 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: MILLWALL 3 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Does he finish well? He scored a very good goal against Swansea but that was hardly a "striker's goal", he also followed that up with missing an open goal against Sunderland a week or so later
    Exactly, Tanner’s been living off that Swansea goal for months. He was hopeless when he came on today and I don’t see any sign of progression from him as the season has gone on - quite the opposite actually. I don’t think Bulut’s negative attitude helped Tanner in the weeks after the Swansea goal, but you can’t blame a performance like today’s on the manager - if anything, Bulut has given him too many chances lately because he’s not been doing anything to earn them in recent months.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Exactly, Tanner’s been living off that Swansea goal for months. He was hopeless when he came on today and I don’t see any sign of progression from him as the season has gone on - quite the opposite actually. I don’t think Bulut’s negative attitude helped Tanner in the weeks after the Swansea goal, but you can’t blame a performance like today’s on the manager - if anything, Bulut has given him too many chances lately because he’s not been doing anything to earn them in recent months.
    Like a few in our squad, maybe he thinks he’s arrived, rather than thinking he’s at base camp!

Tanner has a raw talent but either lacks the discipline required of a good Championship player or he’s peaked at the Jacks game, and is punching above his weight
    He needs to go out on loan next season to a Div 2 side, which I think is he’s level

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Like a few in our squad, maybe he thinks he’s arrived, rather than thinking he’s at base camp!

Tanner has a raw talent but either lacks the discipline required of a good Championship player or he’s peaked at the Jacks game, and is punching above his weight
    He needs to go out on loan next season to a Div 2 side, which I think is he’s level
    You're a good poster. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post

I believe he was dropped from the squad altogether after the Swansea game where he scored a worldy.
    Billy big bollocks was strutting his stuff round the place by all accords .
    Nothing wrong with a bit of arrogance , be nice to see it backed up with a bit more football .
    I am all for bringing the youngsters through , its a joy to watch even when we aren't playing so well.
    Colwill has gone from showing a bit of skill here and there in cameo appearances to being pivotal in most good things that happen.
    I doubt Tanner will do the same , but each time he comes on I hope he does.

Re: MILLWALL v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    ****ing rubbish.
    Post of the thread. Way to much analysing, excuses etc. It's exactly how you put it, ****ing Rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    To be fair, he also made the difference between 1-0 and 1-1. A man for all occasions
    The two are not mutually exclusive. He's Welsh, I get it. But please let us try not to pretend he's something he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He's ****ing Rhubarb, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Indeed. A childish comment to make. Petty.
    Not childish at all. An opinion. To which I am entitled. Calling yourself Keyser Sosa and ranting like you think your opinions are insightful or of particular value: That's childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Do the players get as bored passing the ball around at the back as we do watching it?

I understand that we need to move the opposition around to create space and an opening but when the end product is a defender or the keeper simply hoofing it long and us losing possession, what is the point?

I just don’t understand the tactics.

I’m all for passing football but without any incision and forward movement it all seems so futile.

Our players seem programmed to play backwards and sideways (e.g. Grant)
    I didn't see the game today but I get what you are saying.
    We seem to be doing this a lot recently.

You are right that the sole reason playing out from the keeper is to stretch the game, drawing out the opposition in order to create space for the midfield and forwards.

For this to work there has to be movement, speed of thought and of course players to pick a pass.
    We see no movement and therefore the midfield slow it down and either go sideways or backwards.

Perhaps the fact that there is no decent movement from our attackers is because they know that they will not get the ball due to their teammates not having the quality to provide for them.
    We have very little attacking quality.
    I think that Bulut has identified this and his negative tactics since the early part of the season have ensued.

What I think people find frustrating is the fact that we keep doing as you say going sideways and backwards.

Bulut should be either bollocking his attacking players for not showing, or ditching the pissing about at the back.
    Teams put a high press on us because they know we aren't comfortable playing that way.

I listened to the game on Radio Wales and it was interesting to hear some of Jason Perry's comments.

He was very critical of the fact our wide midfielders were so defensive and encouraged Millwall's full backs to become, in effect, wing backs, which put us under pressure.

He didn't like our substitutions, particularly Wintle for Siopis. He argued there was no point in continuing with 2 defensive midfielders as that hadn't worked well in an attacking sense, so a change of personnel was hardly going to change much when it was obvious a change of tactic was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    Really no idea what our attacking tactics are and the plyaers look equally lost.

Not sure why, after a performance like that, attention turns to Tanner- the whole team was garbage with the sole exception of Ashford who put in a decent showing.
    Exactly.

Why are we talking about a second half sub when the whole team was terrible.

Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I didn't see the game today but I get what you are saying.
    We seem to be doing this a lot recently.

You are right that the sole reason playing out from the keeper is to stretch the game, drawing out the opposition in order to create space for the midfield and forwards.

For this to work there has to be movement, speed of thought and of course players to pick a pass.
    We see no movement and therefore the midfield slow it down and either go sideways or backwards.

Perhaps the fact that there is no decent movement from our attackers is because they know that they will not get the ball due to their teammates not having the quality to provide for them.
    We have very little attacking quality.
    I think that Bulut has identified this and his negative tactics since the early part of the season have ensued.

What I think people find frustrating is the fact that we keep doing as you say going sideways and backwards.

Bulut should be either bollocking his attacking players for not showing, or ditching the pissing about at the back.
    Teams put a high press on us because they know we aren't comfortable playing that way.
    Agreed.

And yet there were many times, certainly in the first half, when our defenders could have played the ball into Colwill’s feet and yet chose not to, and played sideways or backwards instead.

Why?

And the second half was even worse.

It was another dreadful performance, which stands out all the more because we lost, we were awful for most of the Birmingham game as we have been for most of our scrappy 1-0 wins this season. Maybe we're a bit more resilient under Bulut and our set piece play has improved, but the football is as awful as it's been for the past few seasons. I think it would be foolhardy to give him a new contract.

It’s like we play a back four but then with an additional 2 wingbacks and 2 defensive midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It’s like we play a back four but then with an additional 2 wingbacks and 2 defensive midfielders.
    If it made us ultra difficult to beat, I wouldn't say so much, but it hasn't.

It was obvious from our view in the away end that there were huge spaces to exploit on both wings in the first half.
    Our ‘wingers’ were simply not interested in running into those spaces, and our defenders/midfield were not interested in passing into those spaces.
    At half time Harris clearly told his team to press even higher because City wouldn’t attack those spaces even if his team sat down and had a picnic.
    Shockingly defensive tactics from Bulut all season, carried into these games where we don’t even need to worry.
    …and we let in another 3 goals despite that defensive attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisp White Lines View Post
    It was obvious from our view in the away end that there were huge spaces to exploit on both wings in the first half.
    Our ‘wingers’ were simply not interested in running into those spaces, and our defenders/midfield were not interested in passing into those spaces.
    At half time Harris clearly told his team to press even higher because City wouldn’t attack those spaces even if his team sat down and had a picnic.
    Shockingly defensive tactics from Bulut all season, carried into these games where we don’t even need to worry.
    …and we let in another 3 goals despite that defensive attitude.
    Collins and Grant were a major threat on the left for about half an hour before Millwall reorganised and shut the space down for Collins to get forward. Unfortunately Grant then "disappeared" for the rest of the game. Bowler never got in the game primarily as Ng was struggling with Millwall targeting him with balls into the space behind him. In fact I found it a revelation how much Ng struggles with his judgement under a high diagonal - something I suspect Harris/Millwall were well aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Collins and Grant were a major threat on the left for about half an hour before Millwall reorganised and shut the space down for Collins to get forward. Unfortunately Grant then "disappeared" for the rest of the game. Bowler never got in the game primarily as Ng was struggling with Millwall targeting him with balls into the space behind him. In fact I found it a revelation how much Ng struggles with his judgement under a high diagonal - something I suspect Harris/Millwall were well aware of.
    Agreed. I noticed that too now you mention it.

Good post.