+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Since that 2-0 win over Bristol City

Since that 2-0 win over Bristol City

In the Championship, only Rotherham and Birmingham have lost more games than us. Only Rotherham have scored fewer goals than us. Only Rotherham, Birmingham, Blackburn and Wednesday have conceded more than us. Those are really grim stats.

However, we have somehow managed to win 11 of those 29 games to sit 12th in the form table since that win. We've somehow won 11 games out of 29 and only scored 25 goals. Every side that has won 11 of their last 29 across all 4 divisions has scored mid 30s as a minimum, around half have scored over 40 goals to win those 11 games.

I can't say it is unheard of that 25 goals would win you 11 games, but I think it's safe to assume it's a bit of a rarity. Under Cyril Spiers we managed 12 wins in 29 games and only scored 25 goals in 1949/50, but our average number of wins having scored 25 goals in 29 games is just under 7 wins.

I think we can consider ourselves a bit fortunate to still be in the top half. When we lose, it's usually quite convincing. Our last 12 defeats have been by 2 or more goals, whereas our last 11 wins have been by 1 goal, with 7 of those wins coming very late on in games. I know some don't care how we win, but there has been little convincing about our results for several months now. Wins have generally been pinched, defeats have been comfortable for the opposition. I don't see that as much of an improvement, other than being able to pinch some wins late on.

Some will say that 11th is a big achievement, I'm not so sure I agree as I don't think there's a great deal of strength in the Championship beyond the top 5-6. From where we were after that Bristol City game, nobody can say we're playing better football, scoring more goals or getting better results than we were back then. I don't see there's been any positive progression during the season, quite the opposite, which is why I'm more than sceptical of Bulut getting a new contract. Some will say he's not had money to play with, but all managers want good transfer budgets. That's not going to happen.

Re: Since that 2-0 win over Bristol City

Have you ever thought of working for ccfc in public relations or advertising ?

Your threads about the teams performances , style of play and other factors are always so uplifting and refreshing

There's always a day to bury bad news and put a positive slant on things and I think you have nailed it sonny

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Blah blah
    Anything you disagreed with?

Have you ever thought of working for ccfc in public relations or advertising ?

Your threads about the teams performances , style of play and other factors are always so uplifting and refreshing

There's always a day to bury bad news and put a positive slant on things and I think you have nailed it sonny

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Anything you disagreed with?
    When we lose its deserved and it was crap

When we win its nothing to do with the manager or the players , the other team were unlucky and if they had scored from their chances we would have lost

ETHAB

Lost In Space

How about....

Bulut realised we were lacking quality and depth so he targeted certain games where he could pick up points by playing a system with a low risk to his limited resources.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    How about....

Bulut realised we were lacking quality and depth so he targeted certain games where he could pick up points by playing a system with a low risk to his limited resources.
    Some would argue that he could have targeted all of our home games.

Those figures have something of a freakish quality to them and you have to wonder as to whether we can carry this season’s improvement (there has to have been one in some respects) into the next one - if we really do have anything like the sixth best wage bill in the division then Bulut definitely should have done better, both in terms of points gained and quality of football played throughout the season, although it’s definitely been worse since late October.

When we lose its deserved and it was crap

When we win its nothing to do with the manager or the players , the other team were unlucky and if they had scored from their chances we would have lost

ETHAB

Lost In Space
    Sludge, refusing to comment on what is actually said.

12 successive defeats by 2 or more goals doesn't equate to being unlucky in many, if any of them. 11 successive wins doesn't equate to being dominant in many of them.

The signs since October haven't been all that good, particularly after what was served up earlier in the season, even without Ramsey and O'Dowda. It concerns me that next season will be more of what we've seen since October - dour, crap, slow football, not getting players forward, not looking to get behind defences, more hoping for set pieces as we couldn't open a tin of beans. If that's Bulut's blueprint I'd drive him to the train station myself.

On a separate note, O'Dowda seems to have turned into one of the Championship's finest wide midfielders during his injury....

How about....

I don't believe that for a second, but that doesn't wash with me. I don't care if we've got great or average players (resources as you put it). Every time Cardiff City steps out onto the field to play another team everyone gives 100%, including the manager and his tactics.

I think Bulut's one saving grace is his ability to pick up frequent wins. Only once this season have we gone more than 3 league games without a win. Very few draws to add to our points total, so it's a case of win or bust and this strategy if you can call it that is helping us maintain our league position.

How about....

If that's the case it would be helpful if Bulut could let the fans know in advance which games he is 'targeting' so they can make an informed decision about whether it's worth turning up.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I think Bulut's one saving grace is his ability to pick up frequent wins. Only once this season have we gone more than 3 league games without a win. Very few draws to add to our points total, so it's a case of win or bust and this strategy if you can call it that is helping us maintain our league position.
    It's not a stategy, though. It's much more about team spirit and battling for the shirt. The players are up for the challenge, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    If that's the case it would be helpful if Bulut could let the fans know in advance which games he is 'targeting' so they can make an informed decision about whether it's worth turning up.
    Simple. Any side in the bottom 6.

Sludge, refusing to comment on what is actually said.

12 successive defeats by 2 or more goals doesn't equate to being unlucky in many, if any of them. 11 successive wins doesn't equate to being dominant in many of them.

The signs since October haven't been all that good, particularly after what was served up earlier in the season, even without Ramsey and O'Dowda. It concerns me that next season will be more of what we've seen since October - dour, crap, slow football, not getting players forward, not looking to get behind defences, more hoping for set pieces as we couldn't open a tin of beans. If that's Bulut's blueprint I'd drive him to the train station myself.

On a separate note, O'Dowda seems to have turned into one of the Championship's finest wide midfielders during his injury....
    I am commenting on your moribund analysis

It's a dodo

It's not a stategy, though. It's much more about team spirit and battling for the shirt. The players are up for the challenge, that's for sure.
    This group of players have shown often they aren't up to the challenge or willing to battle though haven't they ? Or is this buluts fault as well

So when they have shown bottle is this down to bulut or the players

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    This group of players have shown often they aren't up to the challenge or willing to battle though haven't they ? Or is this buluts fault as well

He's in a corner

ETHAB , not bulut

The players he's bought ......even the ones who are useful ......its their fault

The players he inherited but can't move on and are crap .....its not their fault .....its buluts

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

Why is this so binary?

I do believe there is good team spirit within the players, coaches and manager. The number of late winners we have scored haven't come through excellent football, but a desire and a hunger. I can't remember a season where we've managed so many.

Part of it is keeping games tight, but all too often that hasn't happened and we've been well beaten.

It's not all about Bulut or all about the players.

He's in a corner

ETHAB , not bulut

The players he's bought ......even the ones who are useful ......its their fault

The players he inherited but can't move on and are crap .....its not their fault .....its buluts
    Give your arse a rest mate. Discuss what's being discussed and stop being so fecking personal with people. This should be a board for decent discussion, not rubbish abuse.

Give your arse a rest mate. Discuss what's being discussed and stop being so fecking personal with people. This should be a board for decent discussion, not rubbish abuse.
    Wind your neck in ff sake , it's just gentle piss taking

You are a right precious one recently

Have another break

Agreed it's not a strategy but the figures are quite startling. No team outside the top 6 have won more games than us and only 3 teams in the division have lost more games than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Agreed it's not a strategy but the figures are quite startling. No team outside the top 6 have won more games than us and only 3 teams in the division have lost more games than us.
    Blackburn based a Play Off challenge that only failed later than this in the season on a similar type of record last year and they were the same this season until Thomason left - I wonder if Eric will be able to let us know if we are on to break the club record for the least number of draws in a season?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Blackburn based a Play Off challenge that only failed later than this in the season on a similar type of record last year and they were the same this season until Thomason left - I wonder if Eric will be able to let us know if we are on to break the club record for the least number of draws in a season?
    The answer is no Bob. As recently as 2018/19 we only drew 4 of our 38 Premier League matches.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Moodybluebird is right in that we only drew 4 games in our most recent Premier League season, though it should be added we only played 38 games. In a 42-game season our lowest number of draws is 6 and for a 46-game season our lowest is 8. If we only drew 5 this season it would be the lowest draw percentage in a season in our history.