+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WAG wasting more money….

Re: WAG wasting more money….

Cardiff wouldn't be the major port it was and is and would just be a small place if it wasn't for the feeder canal

By taking excess water off the taff and directing it into the docks it meant that the docks that built the city would be able to operate 24 hours a day ......and the industry that relied on the docks knew the water would never get too low and dry out ......so cardiff had an advantage over many other British ports

It's an incredible part of the history of Cardiff and in years to come a quarter of the city centre will be seeing the canal

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I refer the gentleman to the reply given earlier

If the rain is heavy the gate is opened at blackweir Bridge to take excess water off the river taff , into the feeder canal which empties out at but east dock , Atlantic wharf

If you walk past the canal that's been uncovered if it's not flowing water either it hasn't been raining much or the gate hasn't been opened
    I know it well, I’ve spent a lot of mis spent youth time in the castle grounds, it goes under kingsway along by the city hall then under Queen street to Churchill way, then through Atlantic wharf where I once lived and stumbled along it many blurry nights walking home.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I know it well, I’ve spent a lot of mis spent youth time in the castle grounds, it goes under kingsway along by the city hall then under Queen street to Churchill way, then through Atlantic wharf where I once lived and stumbled along it many blurry nights walking home.
    Some big pike in it which is why hang around bute park

Yes

The rest of your post is cobblers
    Going fishing on the feeder..... you do know this this is a cottaging hot spot dont you ?. I;m guessing you do.

Sort your sex life out - unless you want to be a bum boy in bute park

Some big pike in it which is why hang around bute park
    I can imagine you hanging around in that area….particularly as the sun goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Going fishing on the feeder..... you do know this this is a cottaging hot spot dont you ?. I;m guessing you do.

Sort your sex life out - unless you want to be a bum boy in bute park
    Not in the day it isn't

Unless they don't fancy me ?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I can imagine you hanging around in that area….particularly as the sun goes down.
    The fish come alive when the light fades

The fish come alive when the light fades
    As do some of the 'fishermen' hanging around in the bushes

Cardiff wouldn't be the major port it was and is and would just be a small place if it wasn't for the feeder canal

By taking excess water off the taff and directing it into the docks it meant that the docks that built the city would be able to operate 24 hours a day ......and the industry that relied on the docks knew the water would never get too low and dry out ......so cardiff had an advantage over many other British ports

It's an incredible part of the history of Cardiff and in years to come a quarter of the city centre will be seeing the canal
    If you think many people are interested in either Cardiff’s history as a coal port or the dock feeder’s role in Cardiff’s history then you are delusional. Swansea, Plymouth, Weymouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, Folkestone, Dover, Tilbury, Gravesend, Harwich, Felixstowe, Grimsby, Hull, Redcar, Teesport, Sunderland, Port of Tyne, Leith, Dundee, Aberdeen, greater Glasgow’s various ports, Silloth, Barrow, Heysham, Liverpool and Bristol were all far less reliant on tides than Cardiff was/is. The Dock Feeder didn’t give Cardiff an advantage at all, it merely partially compensated for the fact that ships could only sail into and out of Cardiff during high tides. None of the ports I’ve listed were handicapped to the extent Cardiff was by the tides.

God this is almost as boring as the Dock Feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    If you think many people are interested in either Cardiff’s history as a coal port or the dock feeder’s role in Cardiff’s history then you are delusional. Swansea, Plymouth, Weymouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, Folkestone, Dover, Tilbury, Gravesend, Harwich, Felixstowe, Grimsby, Hull, Redcar, Teesport, Sunderland, Port of Tyne, Leith, Dundee, Aberdeen, greater Glasgow’s various ports, Silloth, Barrow, Heysham, Liverpool and Bristol were all far less reliant on tides than Cardiff was/is. The Dock Feeder didn’t give Cardiff an advantage at all, it merely partially compensated for the fact that ships could only sail into and out of Cardiff during high tides. None of the ports I’ve listed were handicapped to the extent Cardiff was by the tides.

God this is almost as boring as the Dock Feeder.
    If the dock feeder hadn't been built Cardiff wouldn't have grown into the cosmopolitan place it is today due to the port and docks

Lots of people are interested in Cardiffs history as Wales capital city

Considering you are a nationalist I would assume you would be but clearly I was wrong

Maybe we should fill it in ?

And dance around dressed as druids

Now that really is living in the past

If the dock feeder hadn't been built Cardiff wouldn't have grown into the cosmopolitan place it is today due to the port and docks

Lots of people are interested in Cardiffs history as Wales capital city

Considering you are a nationalist I would assume you would be but clearly I was wrong

Maybe we should fill it in ?

And dance around dressed as druids

Now that really is living in the past
    I’m interested in Cardiff’s history but your claim that the history of the Dock Feeder justifies spending £millions on it is utter claptrap. The decision to allocate cash to this white elephant/vanity project is very unpopular with people in Cardiff and the half-finished end product has been the subject of much ridicule. Of all the fascinating individual aspects of Cardiff’s history this piddling canal is one of the least interesting. Anyone claiming that this will attract tourists or history buffs is living in cloud cuckoo land, or Cowbridge.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    I’m interested in Cardiff’s history but your claim that the history of the Dock Feeder justifies spending £millions on it is utter claptrap. The decision to allocate cash to this white elephant/vanity project is very unpopular with people in Cardiff and the half-finished end product has been the subject of much ridicule. Of all the fascinating individual aspects of Cardiff’s history this piddling canal is one of the least interesting. Anyone claiming that this will attract tourists or history buffs is living in cloud cuckoo land, or Cowbridge.
    You are interested in cardiffs history if it suits your nationalist agenda

I didn't say the critically important part the dock feeder played in your country's capital City's growth justified whatever expenditure you want to verbalise about

I commented on its importance which is absolutely enormous and far greater than a piddling canal as you describe it

The biggest waste of money is the WAG , whoever is in charge

I voted for that crap which was a fig leaf to the Plaid nutcases . My ex missus a rabid anti English Welsh speaker pleaded with me to vote yes which I did only to have her tell me on polling day that she went shopping with her mum and a load of cracaic mates

Now when it comes to crazy decisions and backward steps that one's costing us far more than a bit of investment in an old waterway in the city centre

I think it's okay. It cost a lot. It's not as good as it may have been but also it needs to bed in.

What I do think is really poor is the lack of general awareness of our city's history. The canal in Whitchurch for example has absolutely nothing refering to it on site, and the city probably wouldn't be a city at all without it.