+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Burnley shef United and Luton did we actually do quite well in the Premier under warnock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Looking at Burnley shef United and Luton did we actually do quite well in the Premier under warnock

The gap has got much bigger between Premier League and Championship in the last 5 years.

You cant compare the two seasons.

Re: Looking at Burnley shef United and Luton did we actually do quite well in the Premier under warnock

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The gap has got much bigger between Premier League and Championship in the last 5 years.

You cant compare the two seasons.
    Huddersfield only got 16 points that season (after staying up the previous season) and Fulham only 26.

I love the way cardiff fans say every year how strong the Championship is- apart from the years we've won it or got automatic promotion then the narrative changes to what a poor league it was that particular season!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ill stick to wherever I want Krusty
    I know , you have more clubs than tiger woods

The hills have eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    We finished with 34 points in 2019. Neil had a full season

Everyone is loving Luton this season but they only have 25 points with 5 games to go. Worse than us and very unlikely they will finish with more than 34.

We won 10 games in the Premier under warnock. Luton have won 6 this season but there seems to be a narrative about Luton being a tough place to go and they've made an impact on the league. Nobody says cardiff did?

Burnley have 20 points so would have to win all 5 games to overtake our return and shef u only have 16 points.

Just reflecting I suppose that warnock is always seen as such a premier league failure when even with us he did better than any of the teams promoted last season.
    These points tallies fluctuate. The average points for a team finishing in 18th since the PL became a 20-team division is 35.2. Only 7 teams have won fewer than 34 points and only once has that happened since we were relegated from the PL (Fulham in 2020/21 finished in 18th with 28 points). In fact, since the 20-team PL in 1995/96, the points of the team finishing in 18th has been varied and there's no suggestion that more recent sides finishing in 18th have had worse points tallies than those 20 years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    These points tallies fluctuate. The average points for a team finishing in 18th since the PL became a 20-team division is 35.2. Only 7 teams have won fewer than 34 points and only once has that happened since we were relegated from the PL (Fulham in 2020/21 finished in 18th with 28 points). In fact, since the 20-team PL in 1995/96, the points of the team finishing in 18th has been varied and there's no suggestion that more recent sides finishing in 18th have had worse points tallies than those 20 years before.
    By a strange coincidence neil has 104 points in 112 games.

That would mean an average of 35.2 points a season. Exactly the average of teams finishing 18th.

Considering the only teams he has managed are shef u cardiff and qpr- 3 unfancied teams he took up and Palace who were struggling it's not a bad return at all.

That would mean an average of 35.2 points a season. Exactly the average of teams finishing 18th.

Considering the only teams he has managed are shef u cardiff and qpr- 3 unfancied teams he took up and Palace who were struggling it's not a bad return at all.
    Good stats. I think that sums Warnock up. Has kept up some poor sides and won promotion with teams that probably wouldn't have been close. He's not always got it right in the second tier, but his record is good (he's past it now).

His approach hasn't been quite right for the PL, though. I think if he could have kept us up in his first full season in the division, that would have been among his biggest triumphs.

Warnock's never managed a "fancied" team in his life, he's supposed to have turned down Chelsea once, but they were nothing like the club they are now at the time. Warnock's all about managing underdogs and you can't deny his record in the second tier is very good - for example, what he did with Rotherham just before he joined us was remarkable. He's prospered with unfashionable Championship sides on a consistent basis, but whatever the magic is, it doesn't work when those unfashionable sides get to the top flight - if I had to guess, I'd say that the better a player is, the harder they find it to buy into his methods.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to Whitts under Warnock if he was two or three years younger. When he left for Blackburn, it couldn't really be said that it was down to Warnock forcing Whitts out because in 2017 he wasn't the player that he once had been. My suspicion is that, even if Whitts had been in his late twenties when Warnock arrived, he would've been someone who Warnock was looking to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Warnock's never managed a "fancied" team in his life, he's supposed to have turned down Chelsea once, but they were nothing like the club they are now at the time. Warnock's all about managing underdogs and you can't deny his record in the second tier is very good - for example, what he did with Rotherham just before he joined us was remarkable. He's prospered with unfashionable Championship sides on a consistent basis, but whatever the magic is, it doesn't work when those unfashionable sides get to the top flight - if I had to guess, I'd say that the better a player is, the harder they find it to buy into his methods.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to Whitts under Warnock if he was two or three years younger. When he left for Blackburn, it couldn't really be said that it was down to Warnock forcing Whitts out because in 2017 he wasn't the player that he once had been. My suspicion is that, even if Whitts had been in his late twenties when Warnock arrived, he would've been someone who Warnock was looking to replace.
    Not so sure about that , Whittingham was the outstanding Championship player of that decade and Warnock would have been shrewd enough to have found a way to include him, same as he did with Adel Taraabt at QPR

What he did at Rotherham was indeed remarkable, as was turning us from a relegation shambles of a team to a promotion winning side in a season and a half

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Not so sure about that , Whittingham was the outstanding Championship player of that decade and Warnock would have been shrewd enough to have found a way to include him, same as he did with Adel Taraabt at QPR

What he did at Rotherham was indeed remarkable, as was turning us from a relegation shambles of a team to a promotion winning side in a season and a half
    It was a shambles of a team but that was mainly down to Trollope. That's not saying that what Warnock did wasn't superb, because it was, but the side should never have been down the bottom as they were.

We were relegated with a game to go. After we won at Brighton we had 4 games left and we were in 18th. We were 2 points adrift and Brighton (and Southampton a further 3 points above them) had a game in hand.

Some moan about the Chelsea result, but that didn't cost us. In the PL decisions go against you, particularly in favour of the big sides, even with VAR. Nobody mentions the crap performances at Fulham and at home to Palace when it was really needed, and that the Man Utd away game was a dead rubber. We forget that it took our 9th game to register a win. The offside winner against Brighton at home.

There seems to be some that say the Chelsea result cost us our PL place. It's nonsense. We just weren't good enough.
    You are like a weather vane

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You are like a weather vane
    This is getting boring.

This is getting boring.
    You are as much of a broken record on here as anyone else

If there's a way of knocking warnock or bulut you will do it , disguised as that may be

It's no good saying the Chelsea game wasn't the clincher because they are all clinchers

If we finished 15 points below everyone else you could argue I suppose

You are as much of a broken record on here as anyone else

If there's a way of knocking warnock or bulut you will do it , disguised as that may be
    So you know what's going on inside my head when I'm posting, do you?

So you know what's going on inside my head when I'm posting, do you?
    he is looking for an argument, well spotted.

We did pretty well considering we had Callum Paterson up front at points that season

The slow start killed us

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    The crucial away game to Fulham was a very poor performance with what was at stake that day. And the Chelsea result was daylight robbery by the officials - but nobody knows how much the effect of what happened with Sala had on everyone at the club.

Both our seasons in the Premier league were not enjoyable - playing in red for the first season and the Sala tragedy for the 2nd one.

I still lament the Blackpool play off defeat - a Premier league season with that side, whilst possibly not being ultimately succesful, would no doubt have been a joyous ride, we had momentum , good entertaining footballers and a united fan base ( no red monstrosity dividing our support at that time!)
    We absolutely blew it

Jones had to go after the Blackpool defeat , that team should have battered Blackpool and we failed big time

Poor management

....I would add though that Warnock was a shite PL manager and the slow start was probably because the only really competitive pre-season match we had was Real Betis. Bodmin never really helped in getting that squad prepared for the realities. I think that 1-11 win ruined us.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Radio 5 Live did a piece on us. They normally hate us, but even they were saying there were something like 13/14 dodgy decisions against us, only in our favour.
    Well we clearly wernt a safe mid table side like Stoke, Swansea , Wolves turned out to be when they got up

But under warnock we definitely didn't get the rub of the green

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    In your opinion.
    Oh no you are firmly in the slag off the players and management mob

There's no doubt about that

Oh no you are firmly in the slag off the players and management mob

There's no doubt about that
    What you are expressing is an opinion Sludge. However you wanna dress it up.

[QUOTE=Dembe;5504213]What you are expressing is an opinion Sludge. However you wanna dress it

No I can easily retrieve your posts like someone did with Hartley and prove that most of what you post is having a go at our style of play , the players and the management

Those are facts .......you posted them

Not really.

I posted opinions on the manager and playing style.

You're saying I slagged them off.

That is your opinion, because I am saying I didn't slag them off and that I had an opinion on them.

You may be able to go around in circles all day, but I work so I haven't got the time.

We both had opinions

Why oh why did I read this thread?

I thought I had got over that Blackpool game and that Fulham performance.

Clearly not

The officials cost us at least a point or possibly 3 in the Chelsea game, but one of the other games that had a huge impact,was the 2-1 loss to Burnley at home. We played really well but Burnley had one or two shots and one header, and scored the 2 goals. I remember walking away from the stadium thinking we were robbed but that’s what the PL is still like now.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    The officials cost us at least a point or possibly 3 in the Chelsea game, but one of the other games that had a huge impact,was the 2-1 loss to Burnley at home. We played really well but Burnley had one or two shots and one header, and scored the 2 goals. I remember walking away from the stadium thinking we were robbed but that’s what the PL is still like now.
    I imagine that's how the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Preston felt this season!