+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players you thought would be great but turned out to be...

Players you thought would be great but turned out to be...

...not so great (you thought I was going to say sh*t didn't you?)

This season: Tanner. I championed him after pre-season and his Swansea goal but I think he's pretty awful now. Got that one wrong. Spectacularly. Also noticed he has 'Bluebirds' on one boot and 'CCFC' on the other. Don't know why it does but I just think it's a bit naff.

Wintle: after his run at Blackpool and when he came back he looked like a new signing imo. Since then, I think he's terrible and his set-pieces are an embarrassment to football. I wrote ages ago that he should never, ever, ever take a corner again in the professional game. I think Taylor Swift should write a song about him.

Re: Players you thought would be great but turned out to be...

Yes agree on both of them.

I’d chuck in Meite, not that I had huge expectations but he’s been disappointing. Maybe harsh as he’s been thrown upfront with no service.

Bowler, he's just a bit meh. Agree with the three mentioned above

Dunno about players but managers - Mick McCarthy

Romaine Sawyers.

Steve Lynex

Pat Heard

Dave Penney - J*ck Bastard.

Robbie Fowler

Diedhiou. He was class for the Wurzels. I didn't necessarily expect him to hit those heights but he's been truly awful.

I think that a common mistake us fans make is that when we see a player produce a moment of brilliance like Tanner did against Swansea, we can automatically think that they can do it on a regular basis, or the equivalent of on a consistent basis. They can't, and that's the difference between good players and average to poor, Consistency. Also, good players find a way to show quality. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't show more in a team where things are in their favour for their ability to show through, but nevertheless, they still show it, because good players usually have a brain.

One thing I hate on here is the excuses trotted out for players who don't perform or who continue to make the same mistakes time after time. It really is in them. We have all seen good players in poor teams over the years and they still stand out, they still make a difference, they have that intelligence and ability as well as work rate. And I would also say that good players don't make excuses or blame others , because that's a weakness of character. Taking responsibility is up there with the highest of talents, and that's what the best players do, or anyone that's any good in their field.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that a common mistake us fans make is that when we see a player produce a moment of brilliance like Tanner did against Swansea, we can automatically think that they can do it on a regular basis, or the equivalent of on a consistent basis. They can't, and that's the difference between good players and average to poor, Consistency. Also, good players find a way to show quality. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't show more in a team where things are in their favour for their ability to show through, but nevertheless, they still show it, because good players usually have a brain.

One thing I hate on here is the excuses trotted out for players who don't perform or who continue to make the same mistakes time after time. It really is in them. We have all seen good players in poor teams over the years and they still stand out, they still make a difference, they have that intelligence and ability as well as work rate. And I would also say that good players don't make excuses or blame others , because that's a weakness of character. Taking responsibility is up there with the highest of talents, and that's what the best players do, or anyone that's any good in their field.
    When it comes to consistent goal-scorers we've been starved for a while (Moore was the last I think). So I can get carried away on the crest of hope when there's a glimpse of something. Anything really. You're dead right though. Consistency and not making excuses are both massive strengths of character.

There's also part of me, believe it or not, that really wants the underdog to do well. Prove the doubters wrong. It's not really about wanting 'to be right' it's more hating the fact that they've let me down. It's stupid living life through other people's achievements but as football fans we're not blessed with rationality and impartiality at the best of times!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Robbie Fowler
    I'll raise you Rickie Lambert.

Peter Zois..........!!

Surely everyone remembers him?

...and for the reasons stated above, my vote goes to: Callum Robinson

Really wanted him to do well. His injury is not an acceptable excuse for his lack of involvement this season.

Robin Friday. Impressive first game then tailed off and disappeared. Of course, we didn’t know he’d been slung in jail. Eventually he walked out in us. There’s a caricature of him in the concourse or, at least, there was the last time I looked. God knows why.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisp White Lines View Post
    ...and for the reasons stated above, my vote goes to: Callum Robinson

Really wanted him to do well. His injury is not an acceptable excuse for his lack of involvement this season.
    That's a great shout. I'll go with that as well.

In 2006 I boldly predicted that Luigi Glombard would be our top scorer that season.

Dean Gordon was one player I raved about, remember watching him for boro thinking he was brilliant, he came here a bit older as they do and well, he wasn’t very good, as always Leggy won his place back.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'll raise you Rickie Lambert.
    I'll see your Rickie Lambert and raise you:

Kevin Campbell, Emyr Huws, Adam Le Fondre, Bobby Reid (tho not his fault), Gabriel Tamas, Guido Burgstaller, Mats Moeller Daehli, Danny Drinkwater, Kelvin Etuhu, Eddie Johnson, Michael Ricketts and the ultimate wild card, Brad Smith!

Godfrey Ingram?

The quickest buy 'n' sell I can remember.

Kevin Campbell, Emyr Huws, Adam Le Fondre, Bobby Reid (tho not his fault), Gabriel Tamas, Guido Burgstaller, Mats Moeller Daehli, Danny Drinkwater, Kelvin Etuhu, Eddie Johnson, Michael Ricketts and the ultimate wild card, Brad Smith!
    Ricketts gets a raw deal in my opinion, he scored a few and brought Jerome on a treat, very similar players. Yes, he was fat and had lost a yard or so, but in my opinion he still showed enough for me to believe that he did half decent. Daehli-What was that all about?

I fold!

I think that a common mistake us fans make is that when we see a player produce a moment of brilliance like Tanner did against Swansea, we can automatically think that they can do it on a regular basis, or the equivalent of on a consistent basis.
    Why does Andy Campbell come to mind

Richard Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Richard Langley.
    100% that’s it, never felt so underwhelmed watching someone.