+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Players you thought would be great but turned out to be...

Re: Players you thought would be great but turned out to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Different thread or topic 🤔 know but always thought pilkington was hard done by with other managers other than Slade - never felt he let us down whenever he was asked to play

Madine though - gash 😂

The 17 foot German we signed for me tops the list - I was young and easily wooed - always something romantic about signing a foreign player that it is guaranteed that they will be good but alas a litany of players prove this romantic wrong
    If we are thinking of the same guy I remember that - I think it was Jorn Schwinkendorf or something like that. He was rubbish but I had the same excitement!

For me my choice is Koumas on his second visit, and Robbie Fowler. Although too decrepid for top league, I thought he might bag a few more here. I think service to him was poor, but his body was just knackered and he didn’t look after himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    If we are thinking of the same guy I remember that - I think it was Jorn Schwinkendorf or something like that. He was rubbish but I had the same excitement!

For me my choice is Koumas on his second visit, and Robbie Fowler. Although too decrepid for top league, I thought he might bag a few more here. I think service to him was poor, but his body was just knackered and he didn’t look after himself.
    That's the chappy

Yeah, I too was very, very disappointed with Fowler. I thought he was a shoe-in for 18-20 goals for the coming season. Of the three "has-beens" we signed that summer, Hasslebank was by far the best. I can't seem to remember Trevor Sinclair doing that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Yeah, I too was very, very disappointed with Fowler. I thought he was a shoe-in for 18-20 goals for the coming season. Of the three "has-beens" we signed that summer, Hasslebank was by far the best. I can't seem to remember Trevor Sinclair doing that much.
    Yep, Sinclair was injury prone if my memory serves me well. I agree - Jimmy Floyd at least put himself about and was serious about it. You got the impression he was giving 100%. I liked him - wish we had taken a punt on him for a coaching role.

Yep, Sinclair was injury prone if my memory serves me well. I agree - Jimmy Floyd at least put himself about and was serious about it. You got the impression he was giving 100%. I liked him - wish we had taken a punt on him for a coaching role.
    I’m not doubting you but I don’t remember Sinclair being that injury prone. JFH gave it a good go, that Wolves goal was wow. Fowler was such a dissapointment, he would have scored plenty but never fit.

And of course Hasslebank smashed in that great goal (Canton End) when we beat Wolves in the 5th Round of the F.A. Cup. By far my favourite goal of his that he scored for us!

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’m not doubting you but I don’t remember Sinclair being that injury prone. JFH gave it a good go, that Wolves goal was wow. Fowler was such a dissapointment, he would have scored plenty but never fit.
    I just looked and Fowler had 13 appearances compared to Sinclairs 21, not much in it at all. Funny how memories can be over time.

Tony Philliskirk(sp?) had a good debut, did everything but score.
    After that, he did f all.

Whenever we have a new player I always assume and expect them to be good enough/decent players.

Some surpass my expectations (Ross McCormack, Cameron Jerome, Chops, Bothroyd, Super Kev etc etc), most meet expectations in that they are solid if not spectacular (for example Sawyers, Rino, Allsop more recently, none of whom were terrible but did a job for us) whereas far too many fall well below expectations (Ronnie Moore, Langley, Madine, Turnbull and prove to be huge disappointments)

The one's that spring to mind for me. Micky Burns, Kevin Campbell and Kurt Nogan.