+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Derek Underwood RIP

Derek Underwood RIP

Another sporting star from my younger days. Unplayable on times. Aged 78 RIP.

Re: Derek Underwood RIP

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Another sporting star from my younger days. Unplayable on times. Aged 78 RIP.
    Fast for a spinner or was he more of a medium paced bowler ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Fast for a spinner or was he more of a medium paced bowler ?
    The man has passed ffs, have some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    The man has passed ffs, have some respect.
    Shut up you psychosocial nutcase

I see Matthew Potts of Durham and England scored just under 150 as a night watchman in the latest round of bat friendly county championship matches and the thing I remember Derek Underwood most for is the hundred he scored for Kent as a night watchman late in his career. It really surprised me because he was a limited batsman and all I can say is that it must have taken a long time.

In the right conditions (a drying pitch in the days of uncovered wickets), he was probably the best around during his time in the game - he was unplayable. That’s a bit unfair on him though because it sounds like he was only effective in certain conditions - he wasn’t, thinking about it, he was the best slow(ish) left arm spinner I’ve seen play for England.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see Matthew Potts of Durham and England scored just under 150 as a night watchman in the latest round of bat friendly county championship matches and the thing I remember Derek Underwood most for is the hundred he scored for Kent as a night watchman late in his career. It really surprised me because he was a limited batsman and all I can say is that it must have taken a long time.

In the right conditions (a drying pitch in the days of uncovered wickets), he was probably the best around during his time in the game - he was unplayable. That’s a bit unfair on him though because it sounds like he was only effective in certain conditions - he wasn’t, thinking about it, he was the best slow(ish) left arm spinner I’ve seen play for England.

RIP
    In the county game, I would rank Don Shepherd as being pretty well on a par with Underwood. Don's record is all the more remarkable as he didn't start to bowl the quickish off spin at which he did so well until the age of 28, being a moderately successful fast medium bowler for the first 4/5:seasons of his first class career.

Shepherd could also be devastating on a drying pitch. I saw him destroy sides many times

No comparison at Test level of course - Don never played any while Underwoods exploits are the stuff of legend

Both were perfect gentlemen though