+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FA Cup replays scrapped

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I agree with scrapping relays

I think fundamentally cup ties should be a one-off and decided on the day

How often do lower league teams hold a Prem team at home to get this money-spinning replay? More often it’s Championship teams drawing (or League 1/2) and getting another game no-one wants, including the fans.

As for lower league teams complaining they won’t get a shot at a big boy, who’s to say they won’t win a game on penalties then get an even bigger away tie in the next round?

Also think it’s a concern teams might be playing for a draw when they should be all out to win

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Good shout that.
    Wouldn't many small clubs prefer playing away from home due to the larger gate receipts that are split?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Wouldn't many small clubs prefer playing away from home due to the larger gate receipts that are split?
    Possibly. Maybe they could be given the option of giving up home advantage if they wish to.

Its flawed when I think about it anyway. The best team ie Man City Rank number 1 will have the easiest (on paper) draw every round.

Maybe they could seed x amount of best teams and lower teams every round and still do a draw.

Not really, (Close your eyes Sludge) I know quite a few lads from Merthyr who follow Liverpool everywhere and the group stages gives them at least 3 european trips most seasons. Judging by the amount of fans English clubs take abroad I imagine they are happy with the group stages too.

Then theres the clubs who dont get into Europe every season, the group stages are great for those clubs and the fans who follow them.

They might be a bjt boring for the teams that always reach the quarter finals onwards but in the main I think the group stages cater well for the rest.

As a TV fan of the Champions League though I dont really bother until rounds 5 or 6 of the group stages.
    Yes, I agree that fans of clubs may enjoy the group stages and I’d love us to be involved. But I’d find it annoying if our manager, if it ever happened, then complained that we were playing too many games and the players were tired.

It would be more exciting for fans of the not so glamorous clubs having a chance of progressing through the old two legged system. Unfortunately the days of Malmo, Hamburg, Forest, Bruges etc are long gone. Cup games and competition should be all about ‘on the day’ not a long drawn out execution.

This decision needs to be reversed. Surely the big clubs moaning about too much football have big enough squads to cope

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Or just banned PL teams from it.
    Or maybe just clubs in Europe but with the winners still qualifying for a European Competition

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Yes, I agree that fans of clubs may enjoy the group stages and I’d love us to be involved. But I’d find it annoying if our manager, if it ever happened, then complained that we were playing too many games and the players were tired.

It would be more exciting for fans of the not so glamorous clubs having a chance of progressing through the old two legged system. Unfortunately the days of Malmo, Hamburg, Forest, Bruges etc are long gone. Cup games and competition should be all about ‘on the day’ not a long drawn out execution.
    Sadly those days are long gone regardless of the format. The big European clubs now snap up the very best young european (and south american too) talent from a very young age. Gone are the days the very best talent in Holland all coming through the Ajax first team at the same time.

There was a good article in The Athletic on the subject recently, in particular the eastern bloc teams of the past and how we wont see that again.

In some respects thats why the Europa League is a bit more interesting for the neutral and football romantic come the latter stages, although Seville started to ruin that by winning it every year!!

Ive said that for many a year, league cup for teams not competing in Europe.
    Won't happen, there'll be some bollocks about sponsorship, but thats definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Or maybe just clubs in Europe but with the winners still qualifying for a European Competition
    Don't they qualify for the conference league? Im only asking as im not sure. I think th best way would be for the league cup to be played by teams that don't qualify for Europe. I think replays should stay up until the later rounds like they had as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Won't happen, there'll be some bollocks about sponsorship, but thats definitely the way to go.
    Yeah the sponsors wont be happy if the big boys are not in their competiion, youre right

Yeah the sponsors wont be happy if the big boys are not in their competiion, youre right
    As pointed out on talkshite, who the **** drinks carabao anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    As pointed out on talkshite, who the **** drinks carabao anyway?
    Erling Haaland

if Jamie Redknapp wears Skechers then anything is possible.

I think premier teams sometimes have a bad day and then beatable. There is more chance of the bad day happening in the one game scenario

Sadly those days are long gone regardless of the format. The big European clubs now snap up the very best young european (and south american too) talent from a very young age. Gone are the days the very best talent in Holland all coming through the Ajax first team at the same time.

There was a good article in The Athletic on the subject recently, in particular the eastern bloc teams of the past and how we wont see that again.

In some respects thats why the Europa League is a bit more interesting for the neutral and football romantic come the latter stages, although Seville started to ruin that by winning it every year!!
    They are I know. I’m just reminiscing about the competitions of my youth, through rose tinted specs as well, no doubt. Perhaps us older fans are lucky in a way that we’ve seen most formats in our day. None of us witnessed the original FA Cup format though, when it was the FA Challenge Trophy. The winners of the previous season were automatically in the final the next season, waiting to be challenged by the team who got through the preceding rounds. Wanderers had to play a series of friendlies to warm waiting to see who they faced in the final TV would be apoplectic nowadays

It's understandable that people are blaming the big boys for the scrapping of FA Cup replays, but the irony is that Manchester City take the competition far more seriously than the likes of Cardiff City do.

We've reached the stage where mid-ranking League One clubs are making rafts of changes for FA Cup ties. The situation has got that silly.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    They are I know. I’m just reminiscing about the competitions of my youth, through rose tinted specs as well, no doubt. Perhaps us older fans are lucky in a way that we’ve seen most formats in our day. None of us witnessed the original FA Cup format though, when it was the FA Challenge Trophy. The winners of the previous season were automatically in the final the next season, waiting to be challenged by the team who got through the preceding rounds. Wanderers had to play a series of friendlies to warm waiting to see who they faced in the final TV would be apoplectic nowadays
    Thats mental

Youve probavbly already seen it but if not theres docu drama series called "The English Game" on Netlfix which is a good watch. From 2020.

Mainly about the start of the pro game and the first proffesional players and teams back in the 19th century.

As a football romantic I enjoyed it.

According to the Premier League it ‘gives away’ £1.6 billion every 3 years to fund the football pyramid. That £1.6bn includes parachutes payments so presumably Jamie Vardy’s £140k a week salary is part of grassroots? TBF he needs dosh to buy Rebekah phones lost in the North Sea.

https://x.com/kieranmaguire/status/1...LhmySD2aRt-GNg

Thats mental

Youve probavbly already seen it but if not theres docu drama series called "The English Game" on Netlfix which is a good watch. From 2020.

Mainly about the start of the pro game and the first proffesional players and teams back in the 19th century.

As a football romantic I enjoyed it.
    Yes, saw ‘The English Game’ a while back, even the BBC missus enjoyed it. I do love football history and admit to being stuck in the past. I can reel off facts from the 1880s to the 1970s much more readily than the 1980s to the present day. The ‘Big Match Revisited’ is a case in point, I easily recognise the players despite them not having their names on their shirts much more than I recognise today’s players.

Erling Haaland

if Jamie Redknapp wears Skechers then anything is possible.
    Thierry Henry eats Walkers crisps now as well.

Poor decision, pandering to the elite again. As far as Cardiff City goes, however, we do our best to lose it in 90 minutes so it won’t affect us too much. What is even sadder is that much of the present fan base seem to endorse this stance.
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 19-04-24 at 17:48. Reason: Typo

There is an easy solution to this. If the problem is that the clubs playing in Europe have too many fixtures, then give them the option to opt out of the FA Cup. If they opt out, that's fine. If they decide not to, then they quit moaning and get on with it. Replays and all.

I think it is a good decision, and have been asking for it for years.

We often see lower league teams holding out against bigger clubs, getting the replay then loosing 4-0 or something. Much more chance of a club like Newport beating one of the big teams by holding out and taking them to penalties.

Also the vast majority of games in the cup are just fixtures against a similar club, how often do we just play other championship clubs in the FA Cup
    We play out a boring 0-0 or 1-1 against coventry or someone, to a half empty stadium, and then have to do the exact same thing in a couple weeks. a penalty shoot out would at least make these games a bit more interesting, and give my kids something to enjoy before the drive back home.

Neil Warnock has tweeted about the magic of the FA cup.

It's a shame that when he was here he didn't seem to give two hoots about it

Here in Denmark, cup games are always played at the lower ranked sides ground, until the much later stages. No replays, straight to extra time and penalties. Works quite well.
    Scrapping replays is probably the right thing, as already said there's too much football. Get rid of the stupid group stages of European competitions too!

I don’t agree with getting rid of replays. As a kid I used to watch a lot of Altrincham games, living up there, I got a real sense of what the FA Cup means to so called smaller teams. The biggest issue is the group of clubs that made this decision - what gives them the right? This is obviously down to money, extra European games, and pre season tours. Have your Super League and bugger off!