+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mitral Valve Problems

Mitral Valve Problems

I have known for a while I have a 'dicky ticker'. This has now become a bit dickier if there is such a word!

I have atrial fibrillation and heart failure (and a defibrillator in place following my Cardiac arrest back in 2022), and having had a TOE (Transoesophageal Echocardiogram) I find I have dodgy Mitral Valve (it is leaking).

I am not getting any symptoms, but the options are medication, the installing of something called a Mitral Vale clip or open heart surgery to replace the valve.

My consultant has pretty well ruled out major surgery as too risky given my medical history. He is actively considering the clip which involves going in through a vein in the leg.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through this procedure.

I'm not desperately worried about this, I have faith in my cardiac consultant (unlike some of the other departments at UHW following my late wife's experiences over the years until her untimely passing last year), but just wanted to find out more about what is involved

Re: Mitral Valve Problems

I wish you the very best with whatever procedure you have

👍

Hope all goes well.

My son has recently been diagnosed with heart failure age 45 after being a fit cyclist and runner and suffered no more than brief breathlessness for a short time. His heart is enlarged and has leaking valves and is apparently as a result of a viral infection. One of his medicines is a recently approved “ wonder drug “ which trades as Farxagin. Test results in the USA seem very encouraging. Check this out.
    I wish you all the best with your ongoing treatment.

I have had surgery through a vein in the leg. I remained awake at the time and chatted merrily to the surgeon whose father was a former colleague of mine. I even got to choose my music. Don't worry it sounds far worse than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    My son has recently been diagnosed with heart failure age 45 after being a fit cyclist and runner and suffered no more than brief breathlessness for a short time. His heart is enlarged and has leaking valves and is apparently as a result of a viral infection. One of his medicines is a recently approved “ wonder drug “ which trades as Farxagin. Test results in the USA seem very encouraging. Check this out.
    I wish you all the best with your ongoing treatment.
    Thanks. I will ask my consultant when I see him.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I have known for a while I have a 'dicky ticker'. This has now become a bit dickier if there is such a word!

I have atrial fibrillation and heart failure (and a defibrillator in place following my Cardiac arrest back in 2022), and having had a TOE (Transoesophageal Echocardiogram) I find I have dodgy Mitral Valve (it is leaking).

I am not getting any symptoms, but the options are medication, the installing of something called a Mitral Vale clip or open heart surgery to replace the valve.

My consultant has pretty well ruled out major surgery as too risky given my medical history. He is actively considering the clip which involves going in through a vein in the leg.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through this procedure.

I'm not desperately worried about this, I have faith in my cardiac consultant (unlike some of the other departments at UHW following my late wife's experiences over the years until her untimely passing last year), but just wanted to find out more about what is involved
    It will be fine they are experts you are in good hands, I hope you are treated and full recovered as soon as possible all the best with it.

Good luck matey

Best wishes to you. Hope you get some beneficial treatment for it.

Best wishes, hope all goes well.

Hi EB, if you Google "mitral valve clip" you will get all the info you need - best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Hi EB, if you Google "mitral valve clip" you will get all the info you need - best wishes
    Thanks.

Yes I had looked it up and the consultant did explain it thoroughly, but it is always good to hear from someone who has had the procedure done.