+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leighton James

Leighton James

Re: Leighton James

Only 71. I know he was a bit controversial with Cardiff City fans but he was one hell of a player.
    Sad news.

Played cricket against him a few times.
    A feisty character and a superb player and did Wales proud. RIP Leighton

He had a few health problems in recent years didn’t he.

Had the reputation of being a bit of an arrogant so and so on the pitch, but, for a few years in the mid seventies, he had an awful lot to be arrogant about. He was an excellent winger for Burnley as a teenager and was making a name for himself playing for Wales at the same time, but, although he was only in his mid twenties when he moved to Derby for a big fee, he rarely recaptured his Burnley form - for a while though, I thought he was the best winger in the UK.

RIP

Great player in his day

RIP you daft old sod

A great player RIP

He scored the penalty when Wales beat England at Wembley in 1977, For that I am eternally grateful. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bill_Irwin_Fan View Post
    He scored the penalty when Wales beat England at Wembley in 1977, For that I am eternally grateful. RIP
    goal on about 9 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b9nTLzJcg0

RIP to Leighton. Had the pleasure of meeting him when he was on the Real Radio Sports Phone In. He was part of probably the biggest ever phone in with Robbie Savage. Talented player and an entertaining pundit

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Great player in his day

RIP you daft old sod
    Hope you don't mind me sharing this one. I forget how many years ago this was, but Sludge taking on Leighton James on the radio about supporting English teams! The main action starts about 3 minutes in.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AptzTr9mgVZEgh-i...bVhQD?e=Hp18Sm

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRXvw4PeEYg

My favourite Leighton James moment.
    I remember hearing this live! Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Hope you don't mind me sharing this one. I forget how many years ago this was, but Sludge taking on Leighton James on the radio about supporting English teams! The main action starts about 3 minutes in.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AptzTr9mgVZEgh-i...bVhQD?e=Hp18Sm
    I was looking for this.

Classic.

Don't come this with me Sonny.

TBF Sludge sounds a lot better than he reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I was looking for this.

Classic.

Don't come this with me Sonny.

TBF Sludge sounds a lot better than he reads.
    Not difficult to be fair lol!

I would never have put the diction given in that clip to sludge.

I used to enjoy the phone ins whether it be real radio or radio wales with Leighton James: miserable sod but a good listen

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I would never have put the diction given in that clip to sludge.
    He used a voice double.

Leighton often came across as a bit of a bully on the phone-in's I heard ( not that it was alot, as I would often turn to off ), talking over people he didnt agree with, that Savage phone-in ( which I had never heard before ) just about sums him up

funny thing is, James was on a local phone-in as a " expert opinion " Sav is on national TV

I heard he don't like us anyway

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Leighton often came across as a bit of a bully on the phone-in's I heard ( not that it was alot, as I would often turn to off ), talking over people he didnt agree with, that Savage phone-in ( which I had never heard before ) just about sums him up

funny thing is, James was on a local phone-in as a " expert opinion " Sav is on national TV

Never heard that before. Fantabulous!! Love it!

For the fa cup final….dont see him much about anymore

Mr Leighroy Bailey !

My boy just sent me the video clip of the Wembley penalty with a face, circled by him, amongst the celebrating fans. He’s reckons it’s me, it could well be. What a day out that was.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My boy just sent me the video clip of the Wembley penalty with a face, circled by him, amongst the celebrating fans. He’s reckons it’s me, it could well be. What a day out that was.
    I know I drove up with Paul Sexton and Hans Pederson, can’t remember the other 2 in the car ?
    Was it you ?

Send us the photo

R.I.P Leighton. Always played your heart out for Wales

RIP Leighton.

James was a Jack bastard who didn’t like us, and that’s how it should be.
    As a footballer, and a Welsh international, he could be top drawer on his day, and he always gave 100% when playing for Wales.
    For that reason alone, I commend him. RIP