Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
I think Buluts will stay and it would be a shame to waste another year with managers learning about players. I doubt he'll get an extension if he can't explain to Uncle Vinny how he is going to get a few of these academy kids worth serious offers and Rubin will be heading that category.

Ashford & I Davies are similar to Grant IMO, they are not "wingers" but inside forwards and need to play in that inside channel rather than the touchline. I can see us three at the back, wingbacks with two sitters as cover and Rubin gets the attacking central midfielder slot he undoubtedly should be given.

I said on the other forum that Bulut still insists on square pegs in round holes and when they all rotated back into their preferred position the team played better than multi million pound SOTON.
I'd agree with most of that, apart from us playing better than Soton. For 60+ minutes they battered us.

What yesterday did prove was that with Bulut's low press we need pace and directness in transition. This was provided (yesterday) by Tanner, Ashford, Colwill (when playing 10), Meite (when he played right wing) and Conte.

Bowler, Wintle (when playing 10) and Turnbull do not supply this. Furthermore, for all their qualities, Collins and Ng are not exactly 'buccaneering' full backs.

So your comments about square pegs in round holes is spot on. The positional changes of Colwill and Meite as well as the introduction of Conte were the game changers.

I really hope Isaak Davies gets a chance next season, we need his pace. Eli King could provide a physical presence absent in Wintle and Siopis. Those two, Ashford and the correct use of Rubin could be like 4 new signings.