+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Colwill thread.

Re: Another Colwill thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Exactly. Thing is, the debate always ends up emotive, straw man tactics. I find it a bit odd that people get so attracted and protective over these players. It's not healthy. They must have their reasons though.
    One thing that there does seem to be generalagreement on is that our transfer committee has been something of a disaster over the past decade or so. We’ve made some good signings down the years, but the recent publicity about Perry Ng being sold has offered something of a reminder as to how bad our record is at selling players at a profit.

With making a profit on players being such a rarity at Cardiff, you would have thought that developing our own would become more of a priority. If you believe what we hear in the media, there is a desire for younger players to see first team action in the Board room, but most of our recent managers have it seems to me been more reluctant to use them than many of their counterparts at other clubs.

Moving on to the current situation, Ashford is someone who was identified early as a good prospect and he’s done his cause no harm at all so far. Conte was a very pleasant surprise to me as he didn’t seem phased about things at all on Saturday and coped well in a position he’s not used to. There are others away from the club like Isaak Davies and Eli King who I think have got a chance of becoming Championship players with City.

However,there is one young player who came up through theranks with us who there should be no more argument about at the moment. I’ve always backed Rubin Colwill and fought his corner at times when he was having a rough time of it last year with his growth spurts or whatever they’re called.

With the season virtually over, his goal scoring and assist figures are disappointing, but, based on what he has shown since the turn of the year and given the general level of the squad when it comes to things like creativity and individual ability, I’d argue strongly that Colwill has to be starting every week for us.

I’ll admit the fact he’s Welsh has been a factor in me championing his cause, but I do because for most of my City supporting life, there has been a nucleus of young, home grown players in first team - indeed, Colwill is at an age now where he would not have been the subject of debates like these in the past because it would have been thought that if he hadn’t broken through to be a first team regular by now, he never would be.

The idea that players of the age Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter and Declan John were when they first played for City cannot do so now has become the accepted wisdom at the club in the last ten years or so, yet Premier Division Wolves had a fifteen year old on the bench on Saturday! City have spent fortunes under this owner while becoming a club where the winner of the annual young player of the year award is closer to twenty five than twenty and where’s it got us? Arguably, were worse now at first team level than when Ramsey and Gunter were breaking through.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One thing that there does seem to be generalagreement on is that our transfer committee has been something of a disaster over the past decade or so. We’ve made some good signings down the years, but the recent publicity about Perry Ng being sold has offered something of a reminder as to how bad our record is at selling players at a profit.

With making a profit on players being such a rarity at Cardiff, you would have thought that developing our own would become more of a priority. If you believe what we hear in the media, there is a desire for younger players to see first team action in the Board room, but most of our recent managers have it seems to me been more reluctant to use them than many of their counterparts at other clubs.

Moving on to the current situation, Ashford is someone who was identified early as a good prospect and he’s done his cause no harm at all so far. Conte was a very pleasant surprise to me as he didn’t seem phased about things at all on Saturday and coped well in a position he’s not used to. There are others away from the club like Isaak Davies and Eli King who I think have got a chance of becoming Championship players with City.

However,there is one young player who came up through theranks with us who there should be no more argument about at the moment. I’ve always backed Rubin Colwill and fought his corner at times when he was having a rough time of it last year with his growth spurts or whatever they’re called.

With the season virtually over, his goal scoring and assist figures are disappointing, but, based on what he has shown since the turn of the year and given the general level of the squad when it comes to things like creativity and individual ability, I’d argue strongly that Colwill has to be starting every week for us.

I’ll admit the fact he’s Welsh has been a factor in me championing his cause, but I do because for most of my City supporting life, there has been a nucleus of young, home grown players in first team - indeed, Colwill is at an age now where he would not have been the subject of debates like these in the past because it would have been thought that if he hadn’t broken through to be a first team regular by now, he never would be.

The idea that players of the age Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter and Declan John were when they first played for City cannot do so now has become the accepted wisdom at the club in the last ten years or so, yet Premier Division Wolves had a fifteen year old on the bench on Saturday! City have spent fortunes under this owner while becoming a club where the winner of the annual young player of the year award is closer to twenty five than twenty and where’s it got us? Arguably, were worse now at first team level than when Ramsey and Gunter were breaking through.
    This. With knobs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Your "bias" is my support. What a ridiculous thing to say. If biased means wanting to encourage and be positive about academy players, then I plead guilty. God only knows we need some talent to come through the ranks, and not to be undermined as they progress. Some people's default position is to picks holes in our young players. I have watched Rubin for about 5 years, since he was in the under 19's. He has always stood out as a talent. Someone with real potential. That doesn't mean he's perfect. But some just want want to focus on his faults. This season the latest one was "he can't last 90 mins" - well he shot that to bits on Saturday. He just keeps proving people wrong.
    And as if to prove my point you reply with a post that is dripping with indignant emotion, bias and subjectivity. What a ridiculous thing to do (see what I did there?). Your post doesn't read as 'supportive' to me it reads more like someone who has a personal interest. Maybe you're related? Maybe I've touched a nerve?

Whatever it is, the vast majority of fans, ST holders etc don't give a toss about the academy, Welsh players coming through, call them by their first names (they wouldn't know who they are) and haven't followed them since they've been a foetus. Most managers aren't interested either unless there's anyone who's going to further their managerial career. Most people just turn up on a match day and want to see City do well.

Now the fact that some follow the youth, kids, whatever you want to refer to them as, is great. Knock yourself out. But don't get all indignant when your emotionally invested youth player gets judged alongside the rest of his teammates because that's the real world. I kind of agree that it's unhealthy to have such personal investment in 'Rubin' unless you're a mate, family member or connected.

It would be unhealthy for me to start posting about any City players like they were my mates. I'd feel weird doing that.

I have zero guilt about not giving a toss about under 19s or whatever. I pay my money and turn up for a game of football. That's it really.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    And as if to prove my point you reply with a post that is dripping with indignant emotion, bias and subjectivity. It's called opinion, but I like the use of "dripping". What a ridiculous thing to do (see what I did there?) - Yep, very clever! . Your post doesn't read as 'supportive' to me it reads more like someone who has a personal interest. I do have a personal interest - I support my club. Maybe you're related? Maybe I've touched a nerve? You get on my nerves, is that the same thing? But no relation or connection.

Whatever it is, the vast majority of fans, ST holders etc don't give a toss about the academy, Welsh players coming through, call them by their first names (they wouldn't know who they are) and haven't followed them since they've been a foetus. Most managers aren't interested either unless there's anyone who's going to further their managerial career. Most people just turn up on a match day and want to see City do well. - I think this is called projection - project your bias on everyone else that supports the club. But perhaps it's better to call it utter bollux?

Now the fact that some follow the youth, kids, whatever you want to refer to them as, is great. Knock yourself out. But don't get all indignant when your emotionally invested youth player gets judged alongside the rest of his teammates because that's the real world. I kind of agree that it's unhealthy to have such personal investment in 'Rubin' unless you're a mate, family member or connected. You're repeating yourself - perhaps I've touched a nerve? - See what I did there?

It would be unhealthy for me to start posting about any City players like they were my mates. I'd feel weird doing that.

I have zero guilt about not giving a toss about under 19s or whatever. I pay my money and turn up for a game of football. That's it really.
    Congratulations and thank the lord we are not all like you.

Please see observations above.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Congratulations and thank the lord we are not all like you.

Please see observations above.
    Cardiff City is not my life. I have other interests. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Cardiff City is not my life. I have other interests. Thanks for sharing.
    Says the man with 4,752 posts on a Cardiff City message board.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Not sure the message board is the place for this balanced approach to debating unfortunately

Look at how many threads get detailed by a few posters and it normally isn't based on what people say it is the person saying it and a historical "gripe" they have with each other and it ends up being an exchange between two or three people for the remainder of the thread

It is a little bit like labour and Tories - one side could find the solution to world poverty but the other side would blow it up because of where it came from

Very polarised views in here around a lot of subjects which is a shame as there are a few really good posters on here but I personally feel they are getting less and less

Back to the subject 😂 I think successive managers have tried to make a consistent success out of colwill and it probably to date hasn't worked so I think maybe his best move is to move away and start again however bulut/club has been criticised for some of the contracts he has issued but he/club also tied down the colwill brothers down to deals so may they see something in the pair of them
    Thanks for the considered post, well balanced and not an ounce of hostility. All I'm doing is talking about a really good player getting even better, that's all, yet it is received by some on here like I'm kicking their pet bunny in the head. Very odd.

I've always been balanced with my assessment of Colwill, I always give him credit, I've said on numerous occasions that I think that he can do things that others can't. I just think that there are aspects of his game that can get better. And if or when they do then we will really see a player.

But all that seems to be forgotten by certain posters who jump to the rescue in some weird kind of way. It's almost like some lack of emotional intelligence or something, I don't know.

Colwill is a player who came onto the scene at a young age and who showed something different. He's come on again this season but I probably had higher hopes for him if I'm being honest. So, for those reasons, we are going to end up talking about him, because he has something that the others don't. That's sort of how these things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fair enough Jim. I don't doubt Colwill's natural ability and how he has come on this season on other aspects of his game. The issue i have is his end product. In my opinion it's not great, the success rate (from his point of view) isn't the best. For him to become a top end Championship player-Lower premier league player then it has to improve. It has to, because that's the role he plays. People have a go at Siopis or ralls, or whoever else based on their skill set, what is achievable on their part. And when they fail they're rightly criticised. Colwill possesses a different skill set, and when he fails to make the correct decisions then it's fair game, and he'd know that himself. Problem is that it's ignored on here because he's creative, local, Welsh, came through the academy etc. If people are happy with one great bit of skill in 5 then fair enough, although i bet Colwill isn't, and the people who will or can determine his future wont be either.

I always give him credit when he plays well, has done some exceptional, but for balance i think it only fair to pick up on his frailties as well. That isn't the case on here, people ignore stuff which is important in my opinion, andwe can't really have a sensible debate because some posters opinions are completely clouded with a blind loyalty towards local players, especially if they have come through the ranks.
    I am surprised you think there is too much defence of our home grown talent, I have always felt the criticism of local lads is extra special savage.
    Local lads coming through the ranks is good for business, build them up and sell them on .Personally it great to see anyone develop at the club and get sold for a profit , the youngsters especially. Man City steal all the young talent from clubs like ours to sell them after a spell on loan showing their talents in their late teens early twenties .
    Perhaps we will get a return from Adams ,Davies et all?