+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another truly memorable home game in a season of much boredom at Cardiff City Stadium

Another truly memorable home game in a season of much boredom at Cardiff City Stadium

Re: Another truly memorable home game in a season of much boredom at Cardiff City Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What did change the game on Saturday? You say you're not sure what happened and neither am I. There was an incident around 65 minutes where Southampton were messing around with it very deep and Diedhiou flew in with a slide tackle then won a corner and gestured to the crowd to make some noise. It seemed to galvanise everyone but, obviously, it would be too simplistic to call it a turning point.

Maybe Diedhiou was feeling that Southampton were starting to tire or settling for the 1-0 and that was the time to get at them. He was, for once, a handful. Meite had been pretty ineffective at centre forward but seemed to have the same idea and started bombing up the right and unsettling Walker-Peters. No great science or end product but the intent was there and it helped to push them back a bit (which helped Conte too).

The pair of them were great with Ashford too. Must be a bit weird for senior pros when youngsters come in and grab the headlines but both players were very encouraging and supportive during the game and Diedhiou spoke well of him in a good interview afterwards. I said about Alan Lee on here that I had respect for him even though I'd seen him play and I feel the same about Diedhiou now.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/vide...2-00ce65baacfc

Re: Another truly memorable home game in a season of much boredom at Cardiff City Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    What did change the game on Saturday? You say you're not sure what happened and neither am I. There was an incident around 65 minutes where Southampton were messing around with it very deep and Diedhiou flew in with a slide tackle then won a corner and gestured to the crowd to make some noise. It seemed to galvanise everyone but, obviously, it would be too simplistic to call it a turning point.

Maybe Diedhiou was feeling that Southampton were starting to tire or settling for the 1-0 and that was the time to get at them. He was, for once, a handful. Meite had been pretty ineffective at centre forward but seemed to have the same idea and started bombing up the right and unsettling Walker-Peters. No great science or end product but the intent was there and it helped to push them back a bit (which helped Conte too).

The pair of them were great with Ashford too. Must be a bit weird for senior pros when youngsters come in and grab the headlines but both players were very encouraging and supportive during the game and Diedhiou spoke well of him in a good interview afterwards. I said about Alan Lee on here that I had respect for him even though I'd seen him play and I feel the same about Diedhiou now.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/vide...2-00ce65baacfc
    If we’re saying one incident prompted a transformation, then that one with Diedhiou is as likely as any to be it. The Diedhiou who played for forty minutes or so on Saturday was different to the one we’d seen previously and I didn’t think he had it in him to gain a corner in such circumstances.

However, if I had to guess as to what happened, I’d opt for a combination of maybe three things. I thought City were like a team that had either been read a riot act about the second half performance against Millwall (and much of the previous home game against Hull) being unacceptable or they’d realised it themselves and had decided they owed the manager and supporters something. Secondly, Southampton were no longer opening us up at will like they had been in the first half and a feeling that we could make them pay for all of those missed chances gradually took hold.

Thirdly, for some in the squad there was the chance of finally getting something out of a Russell Martin side. I had no problem with him giving it large after his wins over us with Swansea, but I was not impressed when he did the same after the game at Southampton in December and maybe a few in the City side remembered that? Throw in a welcome dose of youthful enthusiasm as well and possibly that may explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we’re saying one incident prompted a transformation, then that one with Diedhiou is as likely as any to be it. The Diedhiou who played for forty minutes or so on Saturday was different to the one we’d seen previously and I didn’t think he had it in him to gain a corner in such circumstances.

However, if I had to guess as to what happened, I’d opt for a combination of maybe three things. I thought City were like a team that had either been read a riot act about the second half performance against Millwall (and much of the previous home game against Hull) being unacceptable or they’d realised it themselves and had decided they owed the manager and supporters something. Secondly, Southampton were no longer opening us up at will like they had been in the first half and a feeling that we could make them pay for all of those missed chances gradually took hold.

Thirdly, for some in the squad there was the chance of finally getting something out of a Russell Martin side. I had no problem with him giving it large after his wins over us with Swansea, but I was not impressed when he did the same after the game at Southampton in December and maybe a few in the City side remembered that? Throw in a welcome dose of youthful enthusiasm as well and possibly that may explain it.
    Martin in his post match placed the blame firmly on his substitutions as the reason for change ??

Also in relation to Martin's behaviour - just out of interest do you think it is acceptable for an employee of an opposition club to mimick actions related to football violence and condone it from his players as well as both Martin and now Williams have both done - not having a go just curious - just that Martin was saying we didn't know him personally but I think we have had an insight into what he thinks is acceptable and not

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Martin in his post match placed the blame firmly on his substitutions as the reason for change ??

Also in relation to Martin's behaviour - just out of interest do you think it is acceptable for an employee of an opposition club to mimick actions related to football violence and condone it from his players as well as both Martin and now Williams have both done - not having a go just curious - just that Martin was saying we didn't know him personally but I think we have had an insight into what he thinks is acceptable and not
    I didn't really get the subs thing. I saw him say it and some Southampton fans were saying the same thing but all four of his second half changes came after the equaliser so we'd already got back in the game. Momentum had shifted and he couldn't get it back but that doesn't explain why it had slipped away from them in the first place.

All I've got is that they switched off after around an hour. Leicester away coming up and we were posing no threat, maybe they thought it wasn't worth the effort of chasing a second when they could ease off and see the game out comfortably (Ipswich did the same but much later). I said to my lad after the Diedhiou incident that our only chance was Southampton settling for the 1-0 and that's how it turned out. Diedhiou and Meite were unlikely candidates to lead the charge but fair play to them both.

Once they'd switched off they couldn't switch on again. Martin certainly seems to rub people up the wrong way but I can't say whether he was providing motivation for our players as TOBW suggested. We were certainly driven by something, it felt like a Cup Final by the end. Poor Rubin could barely stand up, it's the first time I've seen someone pull out of a post-goal celebration for a lie-down. His legs gave way from under him like Devon Loch when he was tracking back in the last minute but he battled on. I'm guessing he didn't walk home after.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I didn't really get the subs thing. I saw him say it and some Southampton fans were saying the same thing but all four of his second half changes came after the equaliser so we'd already got back in the game. Momentum had shifted and he couldn't get it back but that doesn't explain why it had slipped away from them in the first place.

All I've got is that they switched off after around an hour. Leicester away coming up and we were posing no threat, maybe they thought it wasn't worth the effort of chasing a second when they could ease off and see the game out comfortably (Ipswich did the same but much later). I said to my lad after the Diedhiou incident that our only chance was Southampton settling for the 1-0 and that's how it turned out. Diedhiou and Meite were unlikely candidates to lead the charge but fair play to them both.

Once they'd switched off they couldn't switch on again. Martin certainly seems to rub people up the wrong way but I can't say whether he was providing motivation for our players as TOBW suggested. We were certainly driven by something, it felt like a Cup Final by the end. Poor Rubin could barely stand up, it's the first time I've seen someone pull out of a post-goal celebration for a lie-down. His legs gave way from under him like Devon Loch when he was tracking back in the last minute but he battled on. I'm guessing he didn't walk home after.
    Fair enough assessment - I can only go in the post match observations and extended highlights as I'm unable to go at the moment

Martin also indicated that all his subs were attacking subs so again alluding to the fact he got it wrong - like anything I suspect it is combination of all these things

As for his behaviour he is my most disliked swans manager ever and not just because he did the double over us twice but because of his behaviour which lacks a bit of class and as I said in my view condones football violence which no one in his position should do - most other swans managers I've been a bit of meh about probably apart from monk which was more about his time as a player than manager - I probably get more annoyed about our managers than theirs when it comes to the derby but he has become an exception even now he has moved on 😂😂