+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A few more stats

A few more stats

Second tier, 24 team seasons only.

Only 3 times since the last 80s has a side that has won 19 or more league games in this division lost 20 games. Never before has a side winning that number of games lost more than 20.

Only 2 times has a side winning 19 or more games at this level over a 46-game season scored fewer goals than 50.

I appreciate there are 2 games to go, but we're on course to be one of the worst scoring, most defeated side ever to win as many games in this division as we have.

Re: A few more stats

I appreciate there are 2 games to go but it looks like we will be finishing around 11th

I don't think that should be scoffed at , however we got there

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Only 3 times since the last 80s has a side that has won 19 or more league games in this division lost 20 games. Never before has a side winning that number of games lost more than 20.

Only 2 times has a side winning 19 or more games at this level over a 46-game season scored fewer goals than 50.

I appreciate there are 2 games to go, but we're on course to be one of the worst scoring, most defeated side ever to win as many games in this division as we have.
    If only it wasn't for that pesky fighting team spirit and late goals I might have got away with saying they are crap, it's so disappointing and making it harder for me to complain!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    If only it wasn't for that pesky fighting team spirit and late goals I might have got away with saying they are crap, it's so disappointing and making it harder for me to complain!
    If you're satisfied with what's been served up in about eighty five per cent of our home games and seventy five per cent of away games then you're very easily pleased. Besides the line that you can't play teenagers in Championship football if there's anything riding on the game, there is another bollox belief that has taken hold at Cardiff City during Vincent Tan's time - it's impossible to play winning football which is also attractive to watch in the second tier. You get the very occasional truly enjoyable game with City, but mainly it's winning ugly is the only way to go stuff.

Also, that fighting team spirit you talk about has been conspicuous by its absence on a few occasions in 2024 (Leeds, Preston, Norwich, Swansea, Sunderland, Hull and Millwall spring to mind without thinking about it too hard).

Next analysis stage is how many times these instances have resulted in a manager being sacked or not having his contract renewed.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If you're satisfied with what's been served up in about eighty five per cent of our home games and seventy five per cent of away games then you're very easily pleased. Besides the line that you can't play teenagers in Championship football if there's anything riding on the game, there is another bollox belief that has taken hold at Cardiff City during Vincent Tan's time - it's impossible to play winning football which is also attractive to watch in the second tier. You get the very occasional truly enjoyable game with City, but mainly it's winning ugly is the only way to go stuff.

Also, that fighting team spirit you talk about has been conspicuous by its absence on a few occasions in 2024 (Leeds, Preston, Norwich, Swansea, Sunderland, Hull and Millwall spring to mind without thinking about it too hard).
    I'm not enjoying a lot of the matches, but he only had limited time and a limited choice of players to pick from, we were under an embargo. Stage one get us solid and safe, job done.

Stage two, build a stronger squad, add some attacking flair playing midfielders and an actual all-round Striker, and push for the playoffs.

The silence is deafening, like Lamouchi I think he's gone.

I won't be crying, but I'm convinced Tan will regret it, time will tell?

And your point is caller ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I think the point is we have 62 points

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Nothing more than to have won as many games, despite suffering as many defeats as we have, is something of a rarity.

I can expand this across all 4 divisions to include all seasons that have had 46 games a season.

246 sides playing 46 games in a season have won 19 games that season. 14 (5.7%) of those have lost 20 or more games in a season.

229 sides playing 46 games in a season have won 20 games that season. 7 (3%) of those have lost 20 games in a season. None of them have lost more.

197 sides playing 46 games in a season have won 21 games that season. 2 (1%) of those have lost 20 games in a season. None of them have lost more.

We've got 2 games left. If we win both, we'll join an illustrious list of 2 other sides that have won 21 and lost 20 games in a 46-game season. The last side was Bradford Park Avenue in 1966 in the bottom division (that season they scored 102 and conceded 92, sounds like an interesting season!).

If we win 1 and lose 1, we'll have created a new record as no club has ever won 20 and lost 21 games in a 46-game season.

If we lose both, we'll join Bristol Rovers as the only side ever to win 19 and lose 22 games in a 46-game season.

Average number of wins:

After 20 defeats: 14.2
    After 21 defeats: 14.0
    After 22 defeats: 13.0

Average number of defeats:

After 19 wiins: 15.2
    After 20 wiins: 14.0
    After 21 wiins: 13.4

Whichever way you choose to look at it - from either a wins or a defeats perspective, this season has been one that is absolutely extraordinary in context of the history of the league. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, to have so many wins and defeats is virtually unheard of. You'd never expect to win as many as we have but suffer so many defeats, and you'd never expect to lose so many as we have but win so many.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think the point is we have 62 points
    I think it's an extraordinary lot of stats. That interests me. It might not interest you in the slightest, not that I care one bit.

I thought I'd have a look at the number of draws we've had as well. We're currently on 5 draws for the season.

13 teams in a 46-game season have drawn fewer than 5 games, representing 0.3% of all sides that have played 46 games in a season.

29 sides have drawn 5 games. 11 won 20 games or more, 20 lost 20 games or more (2 sides did both).

One side won 22 and drew 19. Two won 20 and lost 21. One won 19 and lost 22. The other 25 won/lost 5 or more games than they lost/won. Barnsley won 30 and lost 11 in 1955 while Chester and Wimbledon won 8 and lost 33 in 1993 and 2004 respectively.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, our record of 23 draws in a season (1997/98) exists as the joint highest in a 46-game season. Hartlepool joined us that season on the same number of draws. Exeter were the first to manage such a tally in 1986/87.

I think it's an extraordinary lot of stats. That interests me. It might not interest you in the slightest, not that I care one bit.
    Given your OCD type interest in statistics have you ever considered a career change ?

I know your enjoy teaching people how to play the organ but I feel your talent lies in other areas

Given your OCD type interest in statistics have you ever considered a career change ?

I know your enjoy teaching people how to play the organ but I feel your talent lies in other areas
    I enjoy some footy research, particularly Cardiff City. I love cricket, and if ever there was a sport for a statistician, that's the one, but I've never bothered. Doing it as a bit of fun on a messageboard suits me.

I enjoy some footy research, particularly Cardiff City. I love cricket, and if ever there was a sport for a statistician, that's the one, but I've never bothered. Doing it as a bit of fun on a messageboard suits me.
    Football
    Darts
    Cricket
    Organ research

Football
    Darts
    Cricket
    Organ research
    Organ research is a spare time thing when the house is empty.

Organ research is a spare time thing when the house is empty.
    Quick shuffle on the one armed bandit

Quick shuffle on the one armed bandit
    The tweezer of love.

The tweezer of love.
    Extra large salad tongs