+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: George Baker 1958 Wales squad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: George Baker 1958 Wales squad

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    In John Charles' autobiography he writes about my uncle 'Citizen' (of the Western Mail & Echo) having to give him a lift from the station because nobody from the Welsh FA sent anyone to pick him up as he travelled independently from Italy. The story about the wives is absolutely true. I spent my childhood looking through a scrapbook of press photographs (most of which were/have never been published) of the '58 World Cup. I wasn't born until years later but I've still got that scrapbook that was given to my dad. It's an heirloom.
    Have you got any of George may I ask mate?
    Silly question really as he never went.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    There are so many press photos (not just of the Wales WC squad), some aren't labelled but I'll have a look to see if there's anything. If there is I'll let you know. I'll have a look next week.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Not sure if you or anyone else saw this piece in WoL but there's a great action shot of George Baker playing for Plymouth. Those old press shots are pretty amazing considering the cameras of the time and it was all 35mm B&W film which had to be couriered to the developers and then to the picture editor. Some was even roll film using medium format. It was an art form really.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-1958-25261251