Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
FOCs have to pay franchise fees whereas the state, when it takes over a franchise, does not. That's how the taxpayer recoups there money.

Anyway, I digress from the point I was making. Whether you believe in state or privately run is moot, what we really need is massive infrastructure investment in public works, public infrastructure, integrated bus, rail, light rail. These works creates jobs, wealth and improves productivity. Whatever happened to Labour being the party of investment - investment is what this country is crying out for.

We've seen how the Tories dithered over HS2, and whilst I'm not discussing the merits of HS2 or otherwise, its clear the Tories don't have a plan to invest in the UKs future.
There are so many opportunities to invest to grow and future proof the UK but the Tories wasted years of historically low interest rates to generate funds.

There should be ambitious programmes to make our homes more energy efficient, tidal energy should have been explored plus many others but they don't benefit individuals and companies who bribe Tories to stick with their old business models.