+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Renationalising The Trains

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Renationalising The Trains

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    I thought I said should be modelled on the Japanese way they have done it. Where they have both a standard JapanRail option or you can ride the bullet train run my a company for extra money - that gets you there quicker. The choice is with the customer.

What I certainly dont want is a German state owner train company running UK trains and making profits that go to another country and we definitely dont want British Rail one out all out trades unions trying to hold the country to ransom - like they did in the 70's and like they have tried to do for the last couple of years here - and failed - as working from home has beaten them.
    Well surely if 'working from home has beaten them' we have nothing to worry about?

I am not sure the country should be making decisions based on what worked or didn't work 50+ years ago, we don't want to be stuck in the past.

I agree though that competition on lines would like make for a better service, but the current system doesn't really have that.

Re: Renationalising The Trains

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Well surely if 'working from home has beaten them' we have nothing to worry about?

I am not sure the country should be making decisions based on what worked or didn't work 50+ years ago, we don't want to be stuck in the past.

I agree though that competition on lines would like make for a better service, but the current system doesn't really have that.
    The only good thing about the current service is that bad suppliers can be got rid of and not have their contract renewed. Complacency and militant unionism is what bought this country to it's knees back in the 70's. British Rail new they had a monopoly - hence didnt give a stuff about anything. The Govt cant / couldn't sack British Rail - as they owned them.
    I'd me very careful in thinking that Nationalisation is the panacea of all things good - as it isn't.