+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Since we beat Preston

Since we beat Preston

We've won 11 games, 12th best in the division since then.

We've lost 15 games, only Rotherham have lost more.

We've scored 24 goals, only Rotherham have scored fewer.

We've conceded 45 goals, only Rotherham, Blackburn and Huddersfield have conceded more.

Bulut has dined out on our good start to the season. Based on the last 5 months, what makes anyone think Bulut is worth keeping?

Re: Since we beat Preston

I guess it’s the winning games, IMO it’s hard to argue on results over a season.

I would say he deserves a new contract.. at the same time I would give him one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I guess it’s the winning games, IMO it’s hard to argue on results over a season.

For me, particularly over the last few months, the wins (most of them fortunate and late on) have deflected things from a bigger issue. When did we last lose a close game? We've pinched several wins in close matches but our defeats for months have been well deserved and by a 2 goal or more margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For me, particularly over the last few months, the wins (most of them fortunate and late on) have deflected things from a bigger issue. When did we last lose a close game? We've pinched several wins in close matches but our defeats for months have been well deserved and by a 2 goal or more margin.
    I don’t think the league table lies over 46 games.

I'm not Bulut's biggest fan but since March he's won 6 out of 10 games and those without a recognised striker and missing arguably 2 of his best players. Regardless of how we won them, we still beat 2 top four sides, had a notable victory away to Coventry as well as winning the Severside derby at Bristol. Agreed the quality of football played has been dire at times but it's a results business and on that basis Bulut's tenure thus far should be viewed as a success

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post

Ewww…

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I'm not Bulut's biggest fan but since March he's won 6 out of 10 games and those without a recognised striker and missing arguably 2 of his best players. Regardless of how we won them, we still beat 2 top four sides, had a notable victory away to Coventry as well as winning the Severside derby at Bristol. Agreed the quality of football played has been dire at times but it's a results business and on that basis Bulut's tenure thus far should be viewed as a success
    Again, that presupposes every team in the country has a choice at the start of the season - play attractively and lose or play boringly and win, as so many clubs prove, it’s not like that in real life. The two teams involved in last bight’s marvellous Championship game have not played their seasons being boring and winning, but they’re both going to finish comfortably above us in the table.
    I say all of that mind, but I don’t think we played anywhere near as bitingly as usual yesterday, we were quite attractive to watch at times, for all the good it did us.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Again, that presupposes every team in the country has a choice at the start of the season - play attractively and lose or play boringly and win, as so many clubs prove, it’s not like that in real life. The two teams involved in last bight’s marvellous Championship game have not played their seasons being boring and winning, but they’re both going to finish comfortably above us in the table.
    I say all of that mind, but I don’t think we played anywhere near as bitingly as usual yesterday, we were quite attractive to watch at times, for all the good it did us.
    Sorry, spell checker on my tablet working too much again - I wanted to type boringly, not bitingly

We've won 11 games, 12th best in the division since then.

We've lost 15 games, only Rotherham have lost more.

We've scored 24 goals, only Rotherham have scored fewer.

We've conceded 45 goals, only Rotherham, Blackburn and Huddersfield have conceded more.

Bulut has dined out on our good start to the season. Based on the last 5 months, what makes anyone think Bulut is worth keeping?
    He isn’t….its that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    A few points about this - I think it's time for everyone to stop talking about missing Ramsey and O'Dowda. O'Dowda, in particular, has become Messi during this injury hit season, when the reality is that he's an average Championship player that has little chance of ever joining a side aiming for promotion. As good as Ramsey can be, there's no way he could carry the side. Not even a prime Craig Bellamy managed to do that and I'd argue that Bellamy in his first stint with us was better than Ramsey has been over the last couple of years.

Yes, we've beaten 2 top 4 sides and won at Coventry. We've also been well beaten at home by more lowly sides, lost tamely at Swansea and Millwall and gifted a side who couldn't buy a win 3 points at home (Sunderland).

You might not be concerned on how we win or lose games, but the way I see things are we either win games by getting a goal in front and defending for the rest, waiting for teams a goal up to implode late on, or rely on a bit of luck. You can't say that any of our defeats have been remotely unlucky. In fact, I reckon Ipswich away was possibly the last time we were unlucky to have lost. It might not matter to you, but I find that quite alarming going into next season.

A few points about this - I think it's time for everyone to stop talking about missing Ramsey and O'Dowda. O'Dowda, in particular, has become Messi during this injury hit season, when the reality is that he's an average Championship player that has little chance of ever joining a side aiming for promotion. As good as Ramsey can be, there's no way he could carry the side. Not even a prime Craig Bellamy managed to do that and I'd argue that Bellamy in his first stint with us was better than Ramsey has been over the last couple of years.

Yes, we've beaten 2 top 4 sides and won at Coventry. We've also been well beaten at home by more lowly sides, lost tamely at Swansea and Millwall and gifted a side who couldn't buy a win 3 points at home (Sunderland).

You might not be concerned on how we win or lose games, but the way I see things are we either win games by getting a goal in front and defending for the rest, waiting for teams a goal up to implode late on, or rely on a bit of luck. You can't say that any of our defeats have been remotely unlucky. In fact, I reckon Ipswich away was possibly the last time we were unlucky to have lost. It might not matter to you, but I find that quite alarming going into next season.
    Our defeats are deserved

Our wins are lucky

To be fair that's covering your back with triple armour plated all bases covered analysis there

Almost all of our wins since October have come with the words "bloody hell, how did we win that?".

I'd be amazed if we improved our league position under Bulut next season. We create very little in the way of chances from open play, and the players he has brought only confirms his playing style, ie numbers behind the ball, slow methodical build up play occassionally ending in a cross. He hasn't needed a 'striker' because that position is filled by a target man who usually receives the ball at his throat from a pass from our back four. Turnbull and Siopis are poor, and he refuses to play our best attacking footballer, Robinson. If he stays we won't be relegated, but I really don't think he's the man to take this club forward..

Um, I don't recall saying that it doesn't matter to me. Nor did I give any indication that I am unconcerned how we win games. In fact my very first sentence clearly states that I'm not Bulut's biggest fan.

To re-iterate, it is a results driven business and on that basis alone Bulut's first season cannot be categorised as a failure, even more so when compared to our efforts of the previous season.

How we play next season if Bulut gets a renewed contract is something he will have to address, especially if there is drop-off in attendances. But for now, he's done the job he was brought here to do. Let's see what the next phase brings.