+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff as an area.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff as an area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    The council restricted the amount of bedrooms a house could have after people complained about landlords squeezing 6-8 bedrooms into a house. Unfortunately, this was after 15 years of letting them do whatever they wanted and never checking to see if a landlord had added a couple more bedrooms on the sly. I think you can still apply for a HMO but for a smaller number, although I saw plans being approved for a 6 bed house recently.

I had to move out in the end. Was disappointed because apart from (some of) the students it was a good place to live.
    Do the Council have people who check?

Do any Councils?

Mine doesn't - apart from a few overworked survivors of the the great Austerity Cull since 2010 who manage the odd sample check of known rogue landlords.

Once upon a time it was different.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Do any Councils?

Mine doesn't - apart from a few overworked survivors of the the great Austerity Cull since 2010 who manage the odd sample check of known rogue landlords.

RCT in Treforest check their HMO’s a lot….a different ball game to running one in Cardiff. Think Cardiff council were hoping most students would just go an live in the new swanky tower block halls they let these big corporations build, leaving Cathays free to try and sort it out.
    It’s not really working out that way though…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    RCT in Treforest check their HMO’s a lot….a different ball game to running one in Cardiff. Think Cardiff council were hoping most students would just go an live in the new swanky tower block halls they let these big corporations build, leaving Cathays free to try and sort it out.
    It’s not really working out that way though…..
    Treforest is full of dog shit. Everywhere you step. Whole place has been overtaken by students and you can tell it's gotten gradually worse as the years have gone by, litter on the streets etc. Weirdly they all seem decent when you talk to them, no real anti social issues mad parties etc. But yeah the place is a shithole.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Treforest is full of dog shit. Everywhere you step. Whole place has been overtaken by students and you can tell it's gotten gradually worse as the years have gone by, litter on the streets etc. Weirdly they all seem decent when you talk to them, no real anti social issues mad parties etc. But yeah the place is a shithole.
    They are all foreign students now, well must be 80% anyway. 20 years ago probably 20%. Quite clueless when it comes to rubbish but they can be educated and don’t like the thought of being fined. Never seen much dog crap, nine on my street, never even seen a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Do any Councils?

I know someone who works for the council and he asked the office directly about this but didn't get a satisfactory answer. Maybe there's too many and there would be too much litigation.

With regards to the rubbish, the council have at least tried to get this in order with directives and threats of fines but according to a councillor it was difficult to prove whose rubbish was whose, even if it's strewn outside someone's house.

Even though the council have mismanaged the area in some ways, I have a little sympathy for them. Some of them have good intentions but they're skint. The university, on the other hand, don't seem to give a toss and are only interested in buying up more land.

I know someone who works for the council and he asked the office directly about this but didn't get a satisfactory answer. Maybe there's too many and there would be too much litigation.

With regards to the rubbish, the council have at least tried to get this in order with directives and threats of fines but according to a councillor it was difficult to prove whose rubbish was whose, even if it's strewn outside someone's house.

Even though the council have mismanaged the area in some ways, I have a little sympathy for them. Some of them have good intentions but they're skint. The university, on the other hand, don't seem to give a toss and are only interested in buying up more land.
    Yes heard a group of cardiff landlords got together to take the council to court, think the council lost or backed off….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yes heard a group of cardiff landlords got together to take the council to court, think the council lost or backed off….
    There is, apparently, a national regulatory body which deals with appeals for planning applications that have been refused by councils. They usually find in favour of the investor/developer and so there's little point wasting time and public money fighting this. It seems the council is over a barrel to a certain extent too. (I think this I've got this right - a former neighbour of mine took a deep dive on this; I'll have to ask her the details).

Buying up more land and putting on courses that have little relevance and put young people in a shit load of debt. Universities are just big business now.