+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If Bulut Stays-Can He Succeed?

International

Re: If Bulut Stays-Can He Succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thankfully we pinched enough wins to avoid that happening. Equally there were some thinking we could make the playoffs. That was even more nonsensical (or wildly optimisitic).

We should be grateful for the start we made. Even with a mini revival (of sorts), our form since Bristol City/Preston has been ranked 17th with one of the worst defences and feeblest attacks in the division.

Now, had we started the season poorly and found good form and progressed through the season, fair enough, but I feel that we've got worse as the season has gone on and stats bear that up. This hasn't got anything to do with the January transfer window, either.
    If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle, it was obvious we'd improved you could see months ago we'd finish top half and we did.

International

I forgot to reply directly to this bit, but there are a load of stats that would bear that out, many that don't compare favourably to last season's struggles. The only 2 stats that I can find that equate to a positive are the number of wins we've managed and our ability from set pieces. Virtually all other stats don't make for good reading.

If things had been the other way around, we'd lost a load of games narrowly but had given a few teams a good hiding, we'd finished in the bottom half but were creating lots of chances, scoring a few goals, I'd think that's something to work with. I look at Fergie's early years at Man Utd where they could give teams a hiding, but also lost a few. I remember them winning 6-2 at Highbury in the league cup. Arsenal won the league that season, conceding 18 at home all season, yet Fergie's youngsters gave them a battering. There was a feeling that, when they clicked, they'd be dangerous. I don't get that feeling with Bulut's side at all. If anything I fear we could lose most times we play.
    He inherited a poor squad and we are weak up top, with no Striker, and O'Dowda and Rambo have been out all season, some signings in those positions would make a World of difference, he's done well with what he has had.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    The question is essentially "can he adapt?", to which the answer is, there's zero evidence that he can based on this season.
    Excellent point.
    You need to be able to adapt: in any given game, from one opponent to the next, from one season to the next if others have sussed you out.

Bulut can’t/won’t.

Yet we’re not even good enough at the things he plans.

Considering he is quoted as saying he “hates to lose”, our defence has been absolutely shocking at times…and his desire to turn every creative player in the squad into a defender has dragged the whole team down.

I forgot to reply directly to this bit, but there are a load of stats that would bear that out, many that don't compare favourably to last season's struggles. The only 2 stats that I can find that equate to a positive are the number of wins we've managed and our ability from set pieces. Virtually all other stats don't make for good reading.

If things had been the other way around, we'd lost a load of games narrowly but had given a few teams a good hiding, we'd finished in the bottom half but were creating lots of chances, scoring a few goals, I'd think that's something to work with. I look at Fergie's early years at Man Utd where they could give teams a hiding, but also lost a few. I remember them winning 6-2 at Highbury in the league cup. Arsenal won the league that season, conceding 18 at home all season, yet Fergie's youngsters gave them a battering. There was a feeling that, when they clicked, they'd be dangerous. I don't get that feeling with Bulut's side at all. If anything I fear we could lose most times we play.
    What on earth are you doing comparing hit and miss man united and arsenal sides with us ?

It's a bit early for the meths !

what is success?
    promotion to the premier League?

if so, what is our path to success?
    for me it needs to be sustainable improvement year on year rather than betting the house on some expensive signings.
    we need to be building something - sometimes when you play this kind of long game things will unexpectedly click early and you can go up, but you can't count on that happening, so the priority needs to be to progress each season while not overstretching financially.
    Under Dave Jones we were stronger each season for 6 years in a row, transforming us from also rans to perennial promotion contenders.
    we need that kind of gradual progress because my gut feeling is that the financial gulf between the haves and have nots is too big these days to make going for it a viable option in our current position.
    We need to be bringing through younger players and making signings that will potentially have resale value in the majority of cases.
    I'm not convinced that that is what Bulut is all about - but we have improved in league position, Ans we have a few youngsters a lot closer to the first 11 than before he took over so I think he deserves at least another year as long as his strategy alligns with the clubs.
    unfortunately he strikes me as a "win now" type of manager, and we need someone who is going to build something.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    O'Dowda and Rambo have been out all season,
    Had you been managing the side, where would you have played O’Dowda (aka the Irish Messi)?

O Dowda is a talented player. But he was injury prone at Bristol City and the same with us.

If he was out of contract Id let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    O Dowda is a talented player. But he was injury prone at Bristol City and the same with us.

If he was out of contract Id let him go.
    And can play in a number of positions

I think if both he and Ramsey had been playing just maybe ten games on top this season we would have seen a difference

In fact if we were showing a bit of flair the usual suspects would have been calling for a tighter defence and midfield

It's potty on here

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    O’Dowda started five games this season. The side’s record in those games was won 1, drew 1, lost 3. The only victory in which he played the full 90 minutes was the 2-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday in August, and that would have ended in a draw had it not been for Vaulks giving City a penalty in injury time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    And can play in a number of positions

I think if both he and Ramsey had been playing just maybe ten games on top this season we would have seen a difference

In fact if we were showing a bit of flair the usual suspects would have been calling for a tighter defence and midfield

It's potty on here
    Why are you implying we have a tight defence? We have conceded 65 goals, only 4 teams in the division have conceded more!!!

12th place but minus 14 goal difference is cause for alarm to my mind. We often get battered when we lose and only win by the odd goal. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Why are you implying we have a tight defence? We have conceded 65 goals, only 4 teams in the division have conceded more!!!

12th place but minus 14 goal difference is cause for alarm to my mind. We often get battered when we lose and only win by the odd goal. Not good.
    several of our wins are in games that we were getting battered in as well, and could easily have gone the other way.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    several of our wins are in games that we were getting battered in as well, and could easily have gone the other way.
    Yes, and some of the losses could have easily gone the other way, that's football!

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Had you been managing the side, where would you have played O’Dowda (aka the Irish Messi)?
    On the left he's a decent at fullback and left midfield, as an attacking player, and works hard when not injured or carrying a knock.

International

O’Dowda started five games this season. The side’s record in those games was won 1, drew 1, lost 3. The only victory in which he played the full 90 minutes was the 2-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday in August, and that would have ended in a draw had it not been for Vaulks giving City a penalty in injury time.
    10 appearances won 5 lost 4 Leicester Sunderland Swansea QPR drew Leeds, probably wasn't fully match-fit for all of them.

On the left he's a decent at fullback and left midfield, as an attacking player, and works hard when not injured or carrying a knock.
    So who would you have dropped?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

also it may well be met with a massive rolling of eyes, but our xG for and against are amongst the worst in the division.

10 appearances won 5 lost 4 Leicester Sunderland Swansea QPR drew Leeds, probably wasn't fully match-fit for all of them.
    2-2 v Leeds (A) - 90 minutes
    1-2 v QPR (H) - 90 minutes
    1-2 v Leicester (A) - 90 minutes
    2-1 v Sheffield Weds (H) - 90 minutes
    1-0 v Bristol City (A) - 12 minutes
    1-0 v Huddersfield (H) - 6 minutes
    2-1 v Ipswich (H) - 15 minutes (1 goal)
    0-2 v Swansea (A) - 45 minutes
    0-2 v Sunderland (H) - 90 minutes
    2-1 v Coventry (A) - 5 minutes

International

So who would you have dropped?
    I'd have had to watch him in training, I may have played instead of Collins or possibly moved/dropped Grant, but Bulut would have loved the extra player and positions he could have covered and improved, as you've shown he also adds at the end of games fresh off the bench. I think he adds to the team, we can't rely on him though he picks up more than his share of injuries and spends long periods out.

I get the argument that we'd have done better this season if Ramsey had stayed fit and played more, but I don't think the same applies to O'Dowda. He's decent but not in the same ballpark.

International

I'd have had to watch him in training, I may have played instead of Collins or possibly moved/dropped Grant, but Bulut would have loved the extra player and positions he could have covered and improved, as you've shown he also adds at the end of games fresh off the bench. I think he adds to the team, we can't rely on him though he picks up more than his share of injuries and spends long periods out.
    Ramsey is a class above but the same, he won't play many games next season.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I get the argument that we'd have done better this season if Ramsey had stayed fit and played more, but I don't think the same applies to O'Dowda. He's decent but not in the same ballpark.
    No you can't compare, he's good but Ramsey is a class above but also injury prone we can't really expect too many minutes from wither next year and need quality attacking players and a Striker.

No you can't compare, he's good but Ramsey is a class above but also injury prone we can't really expect too many minutes from wither next year and need quality attacking players and a Striker.
    How do you propose we sign those whilst complying with ffp?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    How does he propose signing those regardless of ffp?

International

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    He'll probably be allowed a better budget than the next Trollope, he's shown he can move us up the table nine places plus, and will be able to explain the next stage and what is needed to Dalman and Tan, he's an experienced Manager and knows what he is doing.

It's up to the board to manage the money, move on expensive unused players and carefully use the loan market, there are some fantastic Premier League youngsters. I would also expect some Turkish, Greek, and German scouting and players, to try and find some value.

Unless he changes his formation and tactics he'll be gone by Christmas, regardless of who he signs.