Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
Do you also think that snooker players should be able to cue with both hands? Only a small number can, in the same way, only a small number of footballers are entirely confident using both feet.
Everyone will have a favourite. But ultimately if you are a professional that has come through the academy your coaches should have coached it.

You see a lot of it in Germany. You say a lot of it in Spain. In Netherlands, especially Ajax, it is a heavy focus from the age of 7. I still have a heavy paper garnered from the 1990s by the then Director of Youth at Ajax. Philosophies, programmes, annual targets, drills, biomechanics training, decision making, field vision, physical conditioning, body positions whenfl receiving the ball, systems v systems - and how to coach it all and progress through age grades. Superb read. I would have thought that info would have percolated across FAs and clubs by now but watching players, seemingly not.

There is clear content in there that still doesn’t happen at UK academies below the elite clubs, from what I can make out and hear from conversations with some people.

Certainly not in England beyond elite level. The amount of times Salah wastes ball on his right foot for 350k a week is shocking. England have got it right in recent years with players like Grealish and Foden now comfortable on both feet. So for me, yes, I think it is down to poor technical coaching that the problem persists.

Not commenting on a comparison with snooker. Snooker, golf, cricket - not my bag.