+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are American sports so boring?

Re: Why are American sports so boring?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    A no hitter or perfect game are amongst the best individual achievements an athlete can make in any sport, they certainly aren't to be sneered at.
    But do you want to sit through it ?

Imagine a Cardiff City fan in the Erol Bulut error cristicising other sports for being boring.

People in glass houses.....

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    But do you want to sit through it ?
    Yes, happily. I've been to baseball games previously and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My team was the Houston Oilers because they were always crap
    Bit of a theme emerging 😁

I seem to remember Warren Moon being decent but not good enough to carry the rest of the team. I supported the Redskins (as they were then) as I had family in Washington who used to send me merchandise.
    They won a couple of superbowls before I started to lose interest in it. I still look out for their scores, but never watch it.

International

Eric probably loves them, there must be stats galore.

3 sports I wouldn’t watch if I had free tickets, are American Football, Cricket, and Formula 1.
    Just my opinion though 👍

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    3 sports I wouldn’t watch if I had free tickets, are American Football, Cricket, and Formula 1.
    Just my opinion though 👍
    Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    All I can tell you, having now lived in the United States great number of years, is that if life's twists and turns had led to you being born and raised here you would not think American sports are boring.

It is what you grow up with. It's all those years following a team along with your dad and your grandpa and your cousins and friends and reading all about in the paper and so on. Believe me, Americans don't show up in their millions to watch football and baseball and basketball to be bored.
    You mean like we all turn up to watch Cardiff City bore us to tears? lol

Basketball, Baseball, NFL are substitutes for sleeping tablets!!
    Glad you didn't include ice hockey on your list.North Americans may be very good at it but so are Europeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    Glad you didn't include ice hockey on your list.North Americans may be very good at it but so are Europeans.
    You could say the same for basketball (which, by the way, is just as popular in continental Europe as the US). Most of the top players in the NBA are European (Jokic, Doncic, Giannis, Wenbyama etc.). In fact, I believe 6 of the last 7 MVP winners have been European.

You don't necessarily have to be a genetic freak to play basketball, either. Some point guards are only 5ft 10. Allen Iverson and Chris Paul, two of the greatest players of all time, were both only 5ft 11.

[QUOTE=William Treseder;5507950]3 sports I wouldn’t watch if I had free tickets, are American Football, Cricket, and Formula 1.
    Just my opinion though 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    You’re welcome Henry 👍

I know that our baseball is a better game. There have been nine innings in US baseball when no one actually makes a hit. Basketball is where giants run up one end and then up the other end to the strains of terrible organ music. American football has to be the daftest game ever where hordes of men carrying helmets walk around on the sidelines doing nothing for 95% of the game waiting for their moment of glory.
    I tuned into an American baseball game the other day by mistake. Firstly, like all American games the screen was awash with numbers and stats. Then the 'hitter' took a swipe at the ball and missed twice, but was given another couple of goes. I wasn't sure if he was 'out', but then just strolled to 1st base. The commentary was just gibberish. [to me, anyway]. totally weird.

F1, Tennis, Women’s Football, not American, horrendously boring thou.

Basketball, Baseball, NFL are substitutes for sleeping tablets!!
    Because you don't understand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    Because you don't understand them.
    Came here to say exactly that. Once you understand baseball its much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I tuned into an American baseball game the other day by mistake. Firstly, like all American games the screen was awash with numbers and stats. Then the 'hitter' took a swipe at the ball and missed twice, but was given another couple of goes. I wasn't sure if he was 'out', but then just strolled to 1st base. The commentary was just gibberish. [to me, anyway]. totally weird.
    Don't know the rules of baseball, then? The hitter probably had two strikes and then fouled off a couple of times while avoiding the third strike and accumulating four balls, which allowed him to walk to first.

Totally weird if you don't understand it, much like suddenly landing in, say, Thailand and being subjected to all that totally weird gibberish all over the place. Right?

As for stats, the American fascination with such has always amused me, but I see now soccer (and don't get me started on the canard that "soccer" is an Americanism) is just about as bad.

Basketball is the most boring sport on earth. The only way I can tolerate it is as NBA Jam on the SNES.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Just my opinion though ��
    I only watch cricket when I've finished watching
    paint dry...
    and then only to watch the grass growing.

It must be the only sport ever devised that can last five days, end up with different scores, and call it draw.