Quite often O'Dowda's name gets mentioned as being a reason for our loss of form after a bright start to the season. Others have done the stats to prove that's not really accurate.

I'm genuinely not trying to put the player down here at all, I'm only looking at the high pedestal some fans have placed him on. I read someone, somewhat mockingingly calling him 'The Irish Messi' on here the other day and that seems fair.

O'Dowda has just turned 29, so is in the peak years of his career. He's not an up-and-coming youngster. He's been unlucky with injuries and it's possible this will continue to blight his career.

He was released by Bristol City, a mid-table Championship side, in 2022. I can't remember us releasing any players we didn't think were very good. Of all the offers he had on the table he chose to join a side that had struggled in the bottom half of the table. Maybe his injury woes had turned other suitors away. Few fans were convinced that he'd be a good signing at the time, yet after one season being ok in a side close to relegation, he's almost been seen as the saviour.

Again, I'm not trying to knock the player, he's tidy enough, but I don't see him leaving us for a bigger club. I'm just interested in why some think his absences are part of the reason we haven't done better.