+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham talking about expanding the racecourse to 55k

Re: Wrexham talking about expanding the racecourse to 55k

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    They said that about Cardiff City Stadium
    And we were getting crowds of 30,000 in the Premier League despite being relegated.

Even if (and that’s a gargantuan IF) Wrexham made it to the Premier League, they won’t be selling out a 30,000 capacity stadium every week.

55,000 is beyond ridiculous.

The wrexham urban area is 120 k
    So to fill an even 30k stadium you'd be looking at the equivalent of 25% of that area turning up regularly. In the season before Reynolds and McElhenny came in they averaged 4,000, the last time they had an average attendance of 10,000 was 44 years ago

I'm all for ambition, but the idea of Wrexham having a stadium and fanbase of that size is nuts, that would put them above the likes of Everton & Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    And we were getting crowds of 30,000 in the Premier League despite being relegated.

Even if (and that’s a gargantuan IF) Wrexham made it to the Premier League, they won’t be selling out a 30,000 capacity stadium every week.

Exactly, even with success there just isn't the population there for them to regularly pull that kind of crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post

They were getting 10k plus in the national league with most games completely sold out.

Obviously before the hype they weren't doing that but don't underestimate the power of Disney etc......

It's amusing to see people talk about the size of the town as if that's the main metric. They've become and are becoming more of a reality TV football side. They are aware of it and embracing it. The attendances go up everywhere they go.

They'd easily sell out 30k Week in week out in the Premier league.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    So to fill an even 30k stadium you'd be looking at the equivalent of 25% of that area turning up regularly. In the season before Reynolds and McElhenny came in they averaged 4,000, the last time they had an average attendance of 10,000 was 44 years ago

I'm all for ambition, but the idea of Wrexham having a stadium and fanbase of that size is nuts, that would put them above the likes of Everton & Chelsea
    I am not supporting the idea of a big stadium for Wrexham

Even 20 k would be far too big

But it's not like our place is packed week in week out so I think we should save the bow and arrows

But it's not like our place is packed week in week out so I think we should save the bow and arrows
    If it was people walking through turnstiles announced rather than including absent season ticket holders I'd say wrexham are already having more people watching them at home than we are in the Last 2 seasons in national league and league 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    They were getting 10k plus in the national league with most games completely sold out.

Obviously before the hype they weren't doing that but don't underestimate the power of Disney etc......

It's amusing to see people talk about the size of the town as if that's the main metric. They've become and are becoming more of a reality TV football side. They are aware of it and embracing it. The attendances go up everywhere they go.

They'd easily sell out 30k Week in week out in the Premier league.
    They weren’t selling out their EFL Trophy games this season. Now I get it’s a diddy competition but if they had 30,000 people wanting to go to games they’d have been going to those ones too as you’d take anything you could get.

Wrexham’s fan base has the majority living overseas. They might sell 30,000 shirts but 90% of those will be shipped to America. They can sell out a friendly in a 60,000 seater stadium in the states but only get 5,000 and 7,000 against Burton and Port Vale in the cup.

Their fan base in the US will probably keep increasing for years but most of them will never go to a game. In the UK, how many people are going to be travelling from outside Wrexham and the surrounding area? It’ll be a number in the hundreds, not thousands. I reckon a 20,000 stadium will be fine for Wrexham for a long time.

They said that about Cardiff City Stadium
    and they came, look at the time in the prem and Wales games.

20 k max

No way are wrexham a bigger supported club than Swansea
    GOD has spoken. Thread over.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    and they came, look at the time in the prem and Wales games.
    Mmmm

We have had 2 seasons in the top flight since the stadium has been built

They have turned up but only for the glory games

It doesn't seem a reason to have 33000 seats if we only fill them twice every 16 years

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    GOD has spoken. Thread over.
    It's not my fault if you are unable to deal with reality

If you think Wrexham require a stadium of the size in that report and that a ground holding 20000 , if that , would be far more sensible then I would go and have a rest in a care home

In th Championship? Could do it with support from North Wales. Don't base your opinion on Wrexham attendances from crap in the 80s.

Probably need a few generations of success to get anywhere near 40k+ regularly.

Would need to basically convert the North Wales plastics.

I just don't see the interest lasting that long, the Disney series works as long as they progress regularly.

Good luck to them but 25000, championship football and more Wales matches would be a bloody good aim for wrexham.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Probably need a few generations of success to get anywhere near 40k+ regularly.

Would need to basically convert the North Wales plastics.

I just don't see the interest lasting that long, the Disney series works as long as they progress regularly.

Good luck to them but 25000, championship football and more Wales matches would be a bloody good aim for wrexham.
    There's no way Wrexham could get gates to justify building a stadium fitting 25000 , never mind 40 k

20 , at a push

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In th Championship? Could do it with support from North Wales. Don't base your opinion on Wrexham attendances from crap in the 80s.
    North Wales is home to even more wannabee Liverpool and United fans than down here

Wrexham have done well , I think it's great

But talk of building a big stadium for a small club is just publicity as far as I can see

North Wales is home to even more wannabee Liverpool and United fans than down here

Wrexham have done well , I think it's great

But talk of building a big stadium for a small club is just publicity as far as I can see
    Sludge they are averaging nearly 12k in league 2. They averaged 10k in non league. Those numbers would be double if their capacity allowed it.

They'd struggle to get 20k in the Championship or premier league? Absolutely ridiculous statement.

Mmmm

We have had 2 seasons in the top flight since the stadium has been built

They have turned up but only for the glory games

It doesn't seem a reason to have 33000 seats if we only fill them twice every 16 years
    We averaged nearly 32k last time we were in the Premier. Half the premier league averaged less than us.

Sludge they are averaging nearly 12k in league 2. They averaged 10k in non league. Those numbers would be double if their capacity allowed it.

They'd struggle to get 20k in the Championship or premier league? Absolutely ridiculous statement.
    Of course, but that's Sludge.

We averaged nearly 32k last time we were in the Premier. Half the premier league averaged less than us.
    Filling a 32 k stadium if we are in the Premier league is not a sign we need a big stadium

Because most of the time we are not in the Premier league and the ground is sometimes not much more than half full

I remember when Sam took over there was talk of building a big stadium and it was a daft idea then and it's a daft idea for wrexham too

They haven't sad they are PLANNING a 55k stadium tho, they are just talking up the club and saying they could maybe fit 50-55k in. The media are taking a statement and building a story that doesnt actually exist, so unlike the press in UK.

Of course, but that's Sludge.
    I remember fans like you when we would get the odd big gate in the lower leagues

Absolutely deluded

I remember fans like you when we would get the odd big gate in the lower leagues

Absolutely deluded
    But you are basing all of your opinions on attendances on the 80s and 90s, which is utter rubbish.

But you are basing all of your opinions on attendances on the 80s and 90s, which is utter rubbish.
    Wrexham need a stadium about the size that Plymouth have , if they are doing well

Anything else is utter rubbish

Wrexham need a stadium about the size that Plymouth have , if they are doing well

Just checking- even earlier tonight you said a stadium of 20k would be far too big for wrexham- even in the Championship or Premier league
    Knowing they were averaging more than half that non league and selling out every week and averaging nearly 12k in league 2 i just can't see why you think their crowds won't increase if they carry on going up the divisions?

On what figures are you basing this ?