+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your working life.

Re: Your working life.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Didnt expect to see on a thread about work. Then again, it shouldnt surprise me really, you have form for sticking your nose into things you havent got a clue about.
    Well I am happy to show you my extensive CV over a cuppa

Have you ever moved far from mam and dad ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I've got to say - as someone who has just spent the morning pottering around down the allotment in the sun - being retired is much more fun in the summer than winter months!
    Aye, that's the key, golf, mountain biking, walks, pottering in the garden, and even watching football are all ten times better when it's dry and warmer, I'll have to find more to do indoors or take the majority of holidays abroad in the Winter and enjoy the summer here.

International

I've noticed quite a few mates have packed in their main jobs early and gone for something different often driving or deliveries part time. I'm not sure that works as they still end up working 3 or 4 days and I think it's probably more hassle with much less pay than they were doing before. I don't think I'll do that, when I finish I want to finish and not do a different type of work.

Maybe it's stress some jobs are a lot more stressful than others, and they still need the money but can't handle the stress?

I think Covid changed a lot of people's attitude to work too and many people retired early and quite a few have had to go back and do some work to supplement pension income.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I've noticed quite a few mates have packed in their main jobs early and gone for something different often driving or deliveries part time. I'm not sure that works as they still end up working 3 or 4 days and I think it's probably more hassle with much less pay than they were doing before. I don't think I'll do that, when I finish I want to finish and not do a different type of work.

Maybe it's stress some jobs are a lot more stressful than others, and they still need the money but can't handle the stress?

I think Covid changed a lot of people's attitude to work too and many people retired early and quite a few have had to go back and do some work to supplement pension income.
    Your job doesnt seem too stresful, you spend about most of your waking hours on here.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Your job doesnt seem too stresful, you spend about most of your waking hours on here.
    True way too much time

Most of my old mates used to struggle at times I've always seemed to cope relatively easily, don't let the ........ grind you down.

To quote Murry Bookchin. “Nearly a half century ago, while Social-Democratic and Communist theoreticians babbled about a society with "work for all," the Dadaists, those magnificent madmen, demanded unemployment for everybody.”

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Dont retire - your circle of friends and social life gets smaller. If you can keep on or go part time. I know someone who is 74 - still works most days - works in pharma and loves it. Goes to meetings gives his advice and generally presses the flesh to network his business.
    Not necessarily. I have joined a few groups (unusual for me as I'm not a 'herd' person) since retiring full-time 3 years ago and have not only increased my social circle but it's easier to get meet up with existing friends both near and far.

I would say that retiring part-time for a few years is a good intermediary step but if you have plenty of interests you may eventually feel that even part-time work is stopping you from doing some of the things you have always wanted to do.

I was immersed in my work when I was employed but haven't given it a second thought since I retired full-time - and I'm getting around to doing things I put on the back burner for many years due to limited annual leave.

And the joy of no meetings, no emails, no bosses, no performance targets, no frustration with one's senior management etc is beyond measure. It's unadulterated liberty!

Don't leave it too long to retire as ill-health or the Grim Reaper may strike at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Not necessarily. I have joined a few groups (unusual for me as I'm not a 'herd' person) since retiring full-time 3 years ago and have not only increased my social circle but it's easier to get meet up with existing friends both near and far.

I would say that retiring part-time for a few years is a good intermediary step but if you have plenty of interests you may eventually feel that even part-time work is stopping you from doing some of the things you have always wanted to do.

I was immersed in my work when I was employed but haven't given it a second thought since I retired full-time - and I'm getting around to doing things I put on the back burner for many years due to limited annual leave.

And the joy of no meetings, no emails, no bosses, no performance targets, no frustration with one's senior management etc is beyond measure. It's unadulterated liberty!

Don't leave it too long to retire as ill-health or the Grim Reaper may strike at any time.
    Walking groups wasn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    As in Ron Davies “badger watching” walks in the woodlands of the South West?

Worst job you ever had ?

Sony Bridgend

Death Factory
    No no no….panasonic is far worse…

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No no no….panasonic is far worse…
    10 minute tea break

20 minute lunch

Wtf are you supposed to with that ?

10 minute tea break

20 minute lunch

Ive worked on building sites that have had

10 min morning break
    20 mins Lunch
    10 min afternoon break

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Aye, that's the key, golf, mountain biking, walks, pottering in the garden, and even watching football are all ten times better when it's dry and warmer, I'll have to find more to do indoors or take the majority of holidays abroad in the Winter and enjoy the summer here.
    Fat latex wanker

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive worked on building sites that have had

10 min morning break
    20 mins Lunch
    10 min afternoon break
    I've always taken the break I want when on site, especially on day rate.

Glad to be back on the rails, don't need breaks with early knocks

10 minute tea break

20 minute lunch

I can trump that, the lunch breaks where I’ve worked for the last 20 years was 19 minutes.

Our paths may have crossed at some point, I was in Sony & Panasonic quite often when I was at AB Electronics. Race & LG were also in the same SMT benchmarking group.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    I've always taken the break I want when on site, especially on day rate.

Glad to be back on the rails, don't need breaks with early knocks
    Job & knocks were a great incentive when I worked on sites yrs ago. Although my gaffer, an easy going guy, demanded top quality (and rightly so) or the knocks would abruptly come to an end 😁

Language groups too.

10 minute tea break

20 minute lunch

We got 30 mins, it would take about 5 mins to get to my car, 5 to get to the delights of Asda, 10 mins there and bomb back, a minute late you lose an hours pay. No phones or internet back then. I always recall the “team poster” on the wall, about 20 people, only two were actually still there….

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Language groups too.
    Scarlet Pimpernel

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We got 30 mins, it would take about 5 mins to get to my car, 5 to get to the delights of Asda, 10 mins there and bomb back, a minute late you lose an hours pay. No phones or internet back then. I always recall the “team poster” on the wall, about 20 people, only two were actually still there….
    We had a canteen

Plastic seats , Plastic food

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Fat latex wanker
    None of them three, two at least sounds more like you Dembellend

I’m in my 46th year of working since leaving school at 18, 32 years full time and 14 part time. Some weeks I may work a full week but others it maybe be 2 or 3 days. When the weather is like the last couple of days, it’s great but there are times in the winter, when the weather’s crap, it can be quite boring. I’ll be able to claim my state pension in 2 years time when I intend to finally retire and do a bit more travelling.