+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford

Brentford

Make the most of their transfer policy. There rarely sign duds and are willing to take a punt on players that are not hard to find.

I remember Polo talking about Sawyers before and me and Gibbo have spoken in the past about Ryan Woods too.

The lad Colin is playing well at full back. He's been involved in everything.

It's kind of ironic though that having recently scrapped their academy, perhaps their best player tonight has been Josh Clarke who was a product of their academy.

Re: Brentford

Good side. Played very well tonight.

Sawyers got jeered off in the last game when he was substituted so the fans haven't really taken to him but he's answered them in best possible way tonight.

Bemuses me why we didn't go for someone like Dean Smith if we were going down the leagues looking for a cheap manager. Even more bemusing how we ended up with Slade.

Walsall have played some lovely football in the last few years. I would have raided their manager and a few of their players.
    I like the way Brentford play but I'm gutted they've scrapped their academy. They had some outstanding talent coming through there

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Walsall have played some lovely football in the last few years. I would have raided their manager and a few of their players.
    I like the way Brentford play but I'm gutted they've scrapped their academy. They had some outstanding talent coming through there
    I can't believe Holloway tipped them to finish bottom 😂

Holloway is an odd one. At one time he looked like he was a decent manager but over the last few years he become a bit of a parody of himself like Scott Quinnel

I only caught the last 5 mins of the game last night.
    But the look on Tony Fernandes face after the match told me that JFH is now skating on very thin ice.
    Brentford's first win at Loftus Road since 1964.

I'm currently reading "The Nowhere Men" which is all about being a football scout. It was written in 2012 and has a chapter in it about how well thought of Brentford's youth policy and Academy was - still don't get why they've virtually done away with it.

Brentford can be a very impressive side when on form, but they're not as good as they were in 2013/14 when Warburton was in charge. That said, I rate Dean Smith, who I think did an outstanding job at Walsall and reckon we could have done (and did do!) a lot worse than appoint him a couple of years ago after Ole left. I also think that Brentford brought in some good players from the lower divisions (i.e. Bentley, Egan and Sawyers) during the summer without spending a penny in transfer fees and I'd say they'll be closer to the top than the bottom of the league at the end of the season.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 29-10-16 at 08:21.

Brentford have a playing budget in the bottom 5 in the division and yet have consistently been top half for the last few years. They are clearly doing something right.

Disappointing about their academy, but you can understand it as if they develop any outstanding players a bigger club will just poach them for peanuts in the current system

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Brentford have a playing budget in the bottom 5 in the division and yet have consistently been top half for the last few years. They are clearly doing something right.

Disappointing about their academy, but you can understand it as if they develop any outstanding players a bigger club will just poach them for peanuts in the current system
    My mates son played against Southampton academy for Cardiff the other week and he said there was a lad playing for Southampton who was one of the best young players he has seen. Southampton picked him up for free when Brentford academy folded.

My mates son played against Southampton academy for Cardiff the other week and he said there was a lad playing for Southampton who was one of the best young players he has seen. Southampton picked him up for free when Brentford academy folded.
    The point is they'd have probably picked him up on a free even if they'd kept it open.
    They feel like they have an edge over the competition in their recruitment process, so they're looking to divert more funds into that

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The point is they'd have probably picked him up on a free even if they'd kept it open.
    They feel like they have an edge over the competition in their recruitment process, so they're looking to divert more funds into that
    I think he was was about 13 so Brentford would have had about 60k
    Its shit but it's better than nothing

I think he was was about 13 so Brentford would have had about 60k
    Its shit but it's better than nothing
    Not really if their academy was costing them 500k to run

The kid wasn't looking to move and whilst I hate the eppp ruling as much as anyone, the fact that they have brought through someone like Josh Clarke shows that it is worth the gamble.

I have watched Brentford academy on many occasions and they had some great talent in every age group. It's a massive shame