Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
Sapiens : A Brief History of Humankind is also a good book, as it goes right back to the very beggining of human development, and it explains how humans are more likely to believe in fairytales than the cold hard truth. Rulers and politians have been using this knowledge against us for thousands of years.

While we may like to think we are smart because we can now see religion for what it is, the reality is they have developed a whole new bag of tricks which can be used to manipulate us and keep us in line. With the advent of TV, radio and the mass media, religion soon became superfluous to requirements as far more effective methods of control came in being. Religion was also expensive to run, and the clergy wanted a slice of the pie too. They still control huge assets which was payment for keeping the population under surveillance and teaching them how to think and behave, but as an organisation they are pretty much finished.

BTW who do you think it was that first put these ideas into our heads that religion was a load of old tosh?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
Sapiens : A Brief History of Humankind is also a good book, as it goes right back to the very beggining of human development, and it explains how humans are more likely to believe in fairytales than the cold hard truth. Rulers and politians have been using this knowledge against us for thousands of years.

While we may like to think we are smart because we can now see religion for what it is, the reality is they have developed a whole new bag of tricks which can be used to manipulate us and keep us in line. With the advent of TV, radio and the mass media, religion soon became superfluous to requirements as far more effective methods of control came in being. Religion was also expensive to run, and the clergy wanted a slice of the pie too. They still control huge assets which was payment for keeping the population under surveillance and teaching them how to think and behave, but as an organisation they are pretty much finished.

BTW who do you think it was that first put these ideas into our heads that religion was a load of old tosh?
I just had a quick peruse of this review from the guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...al-noah-harari
that actually looks very interesting Bales Thank you mate
thats going on my Christmas list

your question has kind of stumped me with it being so philosophical
but for me personally it was
my earliest possible memory would be when I was 6 years of age
I had a cream coloured Labrador dog named Sandy.
One winter on a walk over the woods in the snow he ran across the ice on the river the ice broke and he went under and got trapped
firemen even waded in on with a rope attached to them to bring him out gave him the kiss the life
as I prayed for Sandy to be alright , he wasn't he died
then I got slightly older 8 or 9 maybe
and I possibly just did not buy it and religious people always came across as untrustworthy cruel hypocrites I don't think it was an individual or a group of of people generally , something instinctively felt it was a form of control "do this or you will be hurt"
my fathers side of the family my Grandfathers funeral service was last year was a humanist service
my mothers parents they was in a church with mass (optional)
Maybe media,tv ect has had an impact or maybe as you get a bit older you read more literature, get information I don't know,
Wasn't karl Marx that quoted something about religion being the opium to the people (I'm not sure on the exact quote)

what about you mate ?