A few weeks back, I commented on the lack of Wimbledon posts on here and said I felt it had become boring with the same old faces dominating - of course, Roger Federer then lost within a couple of hours!

Now, with no World Cup to act as a distraction, I'm struck by the fact that I don't believe there has been one post on here about the Open golf this week. I was looking forward to the Open being played at Carnoustie, a venue where the battle between player and course is a more equal one in these days of equipment which helps the ball fly miles, but the conditions have drawn it's sting and we are getting pitch and putt stuff on par fives as players drive it four hundred yards or more.

I also find it annoying to see so much stars and stripes on the leaderboard - there has been a talented new generation of American golfers breaking through in the last three or four years, but it also seems to me that the Europeans are weaker than they've been for quite some time.

Maybe someone like McIlroy, Fleetwood or Molinari can strike a blow for Europe today, but I've no great hopes of that happening - another American win (think that'll be six majors on the trot for them) looks more likely to me.