Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I don't remember the 16/17 team being as negative in their outlook as this one. When Neil Warnock first came here, I used to say that I was enjoying most of the games I saw and, to show what I mean, I've just dug out my piece on the 2-2 draw with Fulham in February 2017 which is headed simply "Best game of the season so far"

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/best-...season-so-far/

Not only did I think that, I'm positively gushing for much of the piece - e.g.

"If you fall into that category, I can tell you that, by any criteria that matters when it comes to watching sport, you made the wrong choice because Cardiff City 2 Fulham 2 was a magnificent and memorable game of football. It’s hard to make decisions like this with any certainty and, of course, there’s always that sense of disappointment when your team doesn’t win, but, off the top of my head, I’d say it was the most enjoyable City match I’ve watched since we beat Man City in our first home Premier League match three and a half years ago."

Now, I think a few things need to be said here. First, we had a centre forward who was absolutely on fire at the time and so that was probably influencing how we were approaching matches, second, it was probably dawning on everyone that we weren't going to go down that season, but it was also pretty certain we weren't going up either, so that could lead to a more adventurous approach, thirdly there has to be a possibility that I was going over the top a bit because Warnock football was not as bad as I feared it would be.

Two and a half years on, things seem different to me. I accept that my attitude may have changed somewhat in that time in that familiarity with the Warnock style has led to a degree of contempt, but I don't think the change I see between then and now can solely be put down to that. Unlike the "right go" mentioned in the summer, we really did have a right go at Fulham in 2017, last night we played as we do against most of the teams we face - as if we are scared of them.
Funnily enough I was thinking about that article you wrote in the run up to yesterday's game. That line about having to reevaluate what you thought of as exciting football was exactly how I felt at the time.

We havent always played the same way under Warnock, some of the football played in his first season and a half was a joy to watch. Genuine counter attacking football played at great pace with no lack of skill, making the most out of a great crop of wingers and an outstanding striker in Zohore.

For me it all changed following the run of four defeats over the Christmas of the promotion season. It was then that Warnock started to play Paterson as a number 10 and we went far more long ball with more of an idea of keeping the game tight and hoping to nick something rather than actually going out to beat teams.

In fairness to Warnock it got us promoted but **** me its dull as shit to watch. Does that mean I want is to play 'tippy tappy' football as some of the Luddites on here like to say? Not really, I'd be perfectly happy the Mark 1 Warlock City team playing high temps counter attacking football

Last night was another dirge of a game. All the usual failings were there, no tempo, tons of aimless punts up field, constantly conceding possession and forwards that barely get a touch. Ironically it was the one bit of class that lead to our goal, a beautiful dead weight through ball from Flint of all people. I don't know about anyone else but I am just getting so bored of watching us play like this. There is practically zero entertainment value, all that matters is the result. Still I dare say that there a some people that would subscribe to the old Alan Durban maxim, "if you want entertainment, go and watch clowns"