Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
Tis very true , it used to be that local authorities had care homes for the vulnerable , now they are mostly private and the owners take in massive profit

My old man was in one in barry , it was filthy and the only hoist they had was broken

We eventually found one nearer to our home near bridgend which was better but still had its faults and was 800 quid a week

Now my old dear has mobility problems after coming out of hospital and after six weeks with the local council care team who have been coming in and waking her up , showerwe need ing her , making her breakfast and doing her shopping they contract it out to a private care firm and the difference in quality of care is staggering ......they turn up late , forget to open her curtains and leave early ......and the council are paying this firm for the pleasure of doing something they do really well , all to save money because central government says so

Luckily we can get as much care as we need in wales up to a cap of £90 per week , god knows what it's like in England
This side of Offa's its cough up until your assets are below £23,500 ish. You might get a SS loan against the elderley persons home until it can be sold or the person dies. Income-related means testing also applies re paying for residential accommodation. Step down residential interim care (maybe 2-6 weeks) is available which is the English equivelant of CRT carers coming in to an elderley persons home in Wales. But....that step down care may be miles away. Whichever way you look at it, it's a strain on the nerves and the finances. Will be looking at private step down care for my dad, tomorrow, who has been hospitalised whilst staying with us for Christmas. Starts at £1000 a week. Good luck to all reading this, who are on the same or similar, journey.