Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
Sorry, someone else above referred to the possibility that the club sold some of the stuff at auction. Yes, some would have been acquired from different sources, but I know the bound volumes of programmes were from the club.
Not all of them, although the 1920's volumes almost certainly were.

I was talking to a friend last night who was employed by the club for a period during the 1980's and we agreed that some of these items were almost certainly given to the owner in lieu of payment for services rendered, while others would have been given to him simply because the club had no use for them but he did - Lot 850 being the best example.

Having seen them first hand, I can confirm those ledgers are fascinating for anoraks like me who are interested in the club's history, but in reality they are just a collection of big, heavy, dusty old books full of handwritten notes which would mean absolutely nothing to the vast majority of modern football fans. If the club did buy them back, I have no idea what it would do with them. They are not the sort of thing that could go on public display and the only time they would be likely to be accessed at all would be if a historian decided to write a book about the relevant period and found the time to spend hours trawling through the ledgers looking for anything of interest.