Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
He has spoken about them in a previous thread - maybe even this one. He didn't say who these people were then, he won't say who they are now, and he will probably never say it.

I think he grew up in a religious, chapel going setting. I'm not knocking that for a minute. However, not many people grow up in those settings these days (I am assuming xsnaggle is in his 70s), and I would be amazed if the chapel goers had any influence at any level (national, local, or even street) at any stage of the last 100 years. That is, of course, assuming he is talking about some sort of temperance society.

I know the Temperance Societies had some success in valleys towns, making areas of towns pub free at a time when there was literally a pub on every street corner. Especially in hard working areas like Ebbw Vale, Tredegar, Merthyr and so on - but a lot of that success stems from the 19th Century.

I wonder if he is talking about these groups, or someone else?
The Temperance Hall in Merthyr became the Scala snooker club and bar inhabited by alcohol sodden skinheads with no teeth.

**** you Temperance, pissheads rule.