Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
From my original post: Incidentally whilst I agree Lineker has every right to express his personal opinion what he said was totally idiotic. There is no way the current situation resembles Germany in the 1930's. If it did, we would be "disposing" of boat people very shortly after they arrive in the UK.

Re: Lineker tweet: This is what I read: “This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s’.”

I would be interested to know what makes you conclude from my post that I did not read what Lineker wrote? As I see it, the current situation in Lineker's opinion, is that the government has introduced an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s’.”

As I said, he is entitled to his opinion just as I am to opine that he is incorrect.
So he's not comparing the policy with anything the Nazis did. He thinks the policy is cruel and is being justified with language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s. That's two different points in one sentence and they shouldn't be bundled together.