Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
Not being able to rob the rent man, could you imagine a geezer wandering around the estates with a leather Apron collecting cash at the door, a fkin death sentence in today's society ��, also having to hide in the house and pretend no one is at home because the old man had pissed the rent up against the wall, today's yoof will never understand what it was like getting dragged up on a sink estate. �� It was actually good fun because all your neighbour's were in the same boat we all had ****k all, it was only at school you realised that some were better off, it was generally the kids who didn't have odd socks you could pigeon hole as rich.
Allowing a little room for the warm glow of nostalgia, I don't remember life on my council estate this way. It was the '60s, so perhaps the mould and rot had not yet formed, but I recall a pleasant place with easy access to a public library and to shops, plentiful green spaces including a decent woods or forest with many trees to climb, well kept lawns and hedges, and an easy walk to school. Ice cream vans, coal men, window washers and even the occasional rag and bone man added to what was a pretty colourful world.

But, yes, there was a smattering of drunks and yobs and layabouts, which did not bode well long term.