Cardiff City manager Erol Bulut says he would like to sign a new contract but has not yet started talks with the club about extending his stay.

Bulut signed a one-year deal when he was appointed in June 2023.

The former Fenerbahce boss has overseen a marked improvement this season, turning the Bluebirds from relegation candidates into play-off contenders.

"I cannot make any plans for the new season. My plans can only be until the end of the season," said Bulut.

"For future, I cannot make plans. It's difficult to speak when I don't know for the future if I'm here or not.

"I said I'm happy here. I think the fans know that because we've had many meetings together.

"I'd like to continue to make changes here, work together. We can make many changes, add many things to the club. It's not easy to change everything from today to tomorrow but we've changed many things from the start of the season until today.

"We can see also that's not enough for me. We have to continue to work, we have to invest to bring in quality players and bring young players through the academy to make a really good structure. For that to work, we need a plan. To make a plan work, we need to work together.

"My contract ends at the end of the season. We've not had any talks yet. It's not up to me."

Cardiff spent the past two seasons battling against relegation from the Championship but they have been rejuvenated under Bulut.

After 26 league games since the former Turkey Under-21 international's arrival, the Bluebirds are ninth in the table and three points adrift of the play-off places.

Asked if he would like Bulut to stay beyond the end of this season, Cardiff and Wales midfielder Rubin Colwill, said: "Definitely. It's been a nice change to have that consistency and no chopping and changing.

"You look at the season we're having so far compared to what it's been like before, everyone can see the change in the fight and the spirit in the team.

"That's something we'll need to carry on going forward, that fight and spirit and desire, and there's no reason why we can't continue like that if he stays in charge."