Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
That's hugely dismissive Eric, unless you're joking. I believe you're a Musician as well, and of some repute. I'd expect that answer from others, but not you
It was a bit tongue in cheek, but I don't really understand that sort of rap. I love "Jump Around" as a rap track to make everyone go nuts, but it's a genre that leaves me cold as a rule, particularly when it starts talking about gangs etc. It's a subject that doesn't interest me in the slightest. I've considered rap as more a sort of poetry to a backing track, which may be unfair, but it's how I see it. It's often to tell a story.

I know I'm weird. I remember having a chat with Mrs HaB about how we listen to music. She listens out mainly for the singer and the words. I listen out for virtually everything else. I'll work out a bass line, chord structure, playing air keyboard at the same time working out riffs. I can rarely shut everything out and just listen to music. The other morning I spent half an hour as I was waking up trying to work out what makes the end of "I Am The Walrus" work at a complex level. I'm not saying any of this to be big headed in any way - far from it as I'm definitely not that sort of person (if only I had the confidence in what I can do), but to try and offer what I think about and how my brain processes music.

I also think that, whatever "repute" I might have, that I have absolutely no more authority on musical opinion than anyone else. I fully appreciate there are things I don't like and can give a reason for that, while there are undoubtedly things I love that others would hate and could say why as well. And I think that's why music is such a wonderful thing. There are so many styles, genres, growing all the time that virtually everyone can enjoy "music". Is there anything else like it?