+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO Plumbers/Boiler fitters

FAO Plumbers/Boiler fitters

Great timing, but the boiler needs replacing.

We have had a bucket catching the dripping water for 2 weeks now, but needs replacing ASAP.

How much roughly for someone to get the boiler (been told to get a baxi as fits budget and is decent) and fit it?

Prices seem to differ depending on who we ask, from 1400-2600.

Any help would be great

Re: FAO Plumbers/Boiler fitters

Quote Originally Posted by Rumney-Coleman wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:22
    Best of luck with it. Miserable time for a boiler to fail...

Make your life easier and keep it in the same position and approx the same size.

Costs depends on the boiler you go for - average is about 600-700 and a like for like replacement cost is about 400.

Get the boiler yourself somewhere like Cardiff Heating Components on Cowbridge Road or the place over by the magic roundabout - cant remember what it's called now.

Dont fall for the routine where a plumber / heating engineer charges the same price to fit as the cost of boiler itself. So they'll charge 900 to fit a 900 boiler

Baxi are average boilers which I only fit now in landlord properties.
    Imo the best boilers are Viessmann and fitted correctly on clean systems will last for years.

Worcester are overpriced plastic shoite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:58
    Great - now I find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:27
    We have had a bucket catching the dripping water for 2 weeks now, but needs replacing ASAP.
    Flue often costs more than the boiler? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ElyBlueAJ wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 13:01
    Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:27
    How much roughly for someone to get the boiler (been told to get a baxi as fits budget and is decent) and fit it?
    Allegedly. I've questioned a number of plumbers on this and it seems to be correct - though I still think they're just ripping me off as my flue didn't need to go very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 12:58
    How much would you say it costs to purchase and fit a boiler? Just roughly. Its in the same place so no moving around?

What type of boiler? Combi,system or heat only?

We have a very old worcester,(30 years or so according to google haha) I think its a system boiler, whereby there is a water tank above aswell? Its to replace it with a combi boiler in the same location.

We have 5 raditors and a shower that runs off it, shower is a valve shower.

Prices quoted seem fair enough depending on quality of boiler and workmanship.
    It only takes a short course to get gas safe registered and set up a business so the standards of work and knowledge will vary massively.
    Get a recommendation, too many ****s out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 13:15
    It only takes a short course to get gas safe registered and set up a business so the standards of work and knowledge will vary massively.
    Quick question: I'm having an old gas wall-mounted fire removed as part of some building work. Do I need a certificate or whatever from the builder to say it was done by a qualified gas safe engineer? He says I don't need one, which doesn't sound right as I think you have to be gas safe just to remove a gas cooker with a simple bayonet fitting.

Yes you need a gas fitter to remove, cap and test etc.
    All gas fitters carry an identity badge which details the area of work they are qualified for.

And yes it is easy. Last time I renewed my quals there was a lad doing his for the first time. He'd been sacked from a plumbing company for being useless. The job centre paid his course feed and he was a qualified gas fitter within the month. He set up his own business!!

Frightening. The problem I have is that I won't be there when the work is done. I'm having a wall removed and that requires a radiator to be moved. The builder is coordinating it all. I told him that if the guy he uses to move the rad is gas safe, then I'd appreciate it if he could take the fire off a nearby wall at the same time and cap the pipe. No problem, the builder said. I then asked him this morning if I would get a certificate or whatever, and he said no - it would just be capped and tested. I'm sure he's telling the truth and is using a gas safe person, but just wanted to check if there was some sort of paperwork I needed to prove that the job was done properly.

Ask to speak to the plumber directly, and ask him to carry out a gas safety check as part of his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 14:07
    Ask to speak to the plumber directly, and ask him to carry out a gas safety check as part of his work.
    Will do, thanks. The BCO will be there at the same time too. I imagine that he won't have any interest in the gas work, but I guess it would be a brave builder that had cowboys working for him when the inspector is in!

In a similar vein, my central heating timer has packed in. The heating works but I only have two controls now - on or off and both manual. It's a pretty ancient affair (30 years old?), any idea of how much I'm looking at to replace the clock and any recommendations?

btw, please don't even think of saying the word "diy" to me

From 120 upwards I would say.

Our Baxi back boiler is thirty years old and still going strong. My mate services it annually and he says they're so basic there's very little that can go wrong with them. His boiler is a thirty year old floor mounted Stelrad and he refuses to change it, he says the modern condensing boilers are shite and even the best ones won't last much more than ten years.

Well my mate reckons your mate is wrong👍

Our is a worcester, and is 30 odd years old. Stil going strong, but is leaking and the guy said it will cost just as much to replace that part as putting in a new boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumney-Coleman wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 14:42
    Our is a worcester, and is 30 odd years old. Stil going strong, but is leaking and the guy said it will cost just as much to replace that part as putting in a new boiler.
    turn the water off at the mains

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiffcityplumber wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 14:28
    From 120 upwards I would say.
    Fitted or just the clock?

^ Fitted a Worcester in my house.