+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Inheritance Tax Cut

Re: Inheritance Tax Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Sun, 12 April 2015 10:30
    Yet another tax cut for the rich, by the rich.
    Typical Labour, politics of envy. Vote for us and well take the money from those who have worked hard all their lives, saved and bought their own homes, and we'll re-distribute it to those who are to idle to work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:00
    IHT was a tax to effect the rich, as the values haven't risen at the same time as property prices plenty of "average" people have started slipping into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 13:48
    Raising the value should keep the normal person out of the tax and keep it exclusive to the rich, can't see why people would disagree with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 13:37
    My mother has moved into the bracket, not because she is wealthy or anything just a lucky property purchase 30 years ago. She's a sales assitant in a bookies working past her retirement age, hardly rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 13:31
    Did you read the thread Tru?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 13:24
    Only 6% were liable this last year rising to about 10% by 2020 if kept the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 13:16
    Just to add if your mam just crept in to the bracket, She'd only pay on the excess over £325,000/£650,000. Still a very nice inheritance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 13:10
    Her house is worth £330k, so technically speaking she'd only have to pay £2k. Not a great deal in the grandscheme of things, but if the threshold doesn't rise at the pace of property prices that is clearly going to go up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 13:05
    Whilst split between three of us it will still be a decent inheritance, it will be left to three "average" kids. One a web developer, one an Electrician and one who works in a hotel and lives in rented accommodation with two kids. Hardly super rich people paying tax like the original idea was meant to be for.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 12:53
    I personally think that IHT should apply to the recipient as opposed to the deceased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 12:47
    So you get an allowance on values that you inherit, makes loads more sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 12:40
    a £1m estate left to 5 siblings could see each receive £200k and at the present threshold no IHT would be payable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 12:34
    If you lower the threshold to say £100k to counter this a single child inheriting a property worth £150k would be subject to a £20k tax charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 12:28
    This tax above all is subject to the law of unintended consequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 12:10
    Well those are some very nice made up numbers and assumptions, thanks for those.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 11:59
    I wouldn't have those kind of allowances. Say you kept it at 325 (sounds reasonable as that's a single persons allowance now) and you had 3 siblings inheriting a 1m estate, would see them pay 3.2k each instead of 50k each under the current system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 11:53
    It would be 150k for a single child but in all fairness that leaves them with 850k still, and I think some sort of sliding scale would be more appropriate than a blanket 40%
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 11:43
    estates are quite often left to more than just children so the single child allowance doesn't really work, unless you meant single beneficiary allowance which is still open to abuse. for example, what happens if I leave £649,999 to my sole child and £1 to my neighbour? there are two beneficiaries - do we still have a £325k allowance per recipient meaning no tax to pay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 11:20
    Another consideration is that the majority of IHT is not paid when people die but when people set up trusts. if IHT is levied on the beneficiary and not the estate what happens to the 20% IHT and ten year charge when assets are transferred into and out of trusts? does this very good source of income for the government disappear as the estate is no longer subject to IHT?
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 10:55
    Ummmmmm, if you have 2 beneficiaries, one of £649,999 and one of £1, and each have an allowance of 325k, then one has gone over its allowance by 324,999 and one still has 324,999 to go. The tax would be on the amount the recipient receives over their allowance.

as someone else has posted in the past "multi quote feckwits"

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by packerman wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:23
    I tried a few times, how do you just quote the last message.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:20
    Typical Labour, politics of envy. Vote for us and well take the money from those who have worked hard all their lives, saved and bought their own homes, and we'll re-distribute it to those who are to idle to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:27
    You have to remove it manually.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:27
    You have to remove it manually.
    How? What do I leave?

Quote Originally Posted by packerman wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:23
    no idea. i,m a single quote feckwit

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:29
    How? What do I leave?
    http://awesomescreenshot.com/0994terx55 - Here is an example of me doing this post.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by packerman wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:30
    no idea. i,m a single quote feckwit
    Think I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:20
    No - I don't need to re-read what you have written.
    I think the point he is getting at is that whilst they may inherit the house and want to live there, they may not have the means to afford the payments of £140k.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:32
    Look for the opening [q u o t e]
    Thanks mate, just figured it out.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:13
    mixed feelings regarding that as it can create social engineering which I'm very much against. however I don't really think benefits should ever be more than the national average income for a family unit. this particular issue was a tough call and I think it was handled very badly by this government.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:03
    Inequality should be kept in check, it is related to a nations well being. The scales need to be balanced in this country. IHT is a good tax for this but more needs to be done.
    it is only a good tax if beneficiaries receive cash or other liquid assets. where it is a poor tax is where property is concerned for reasons outlined and leads to social engineering. A better more progressive system would be to exclude property but the beneficiary has a base cost equal to the purchase price of the estate and not the transfer value at the time of death. Using Kiffa's example of a property costing £100k but being worth £1m, if the beneficiary chose to live in the property there would be no tax to pay but if they sold the property they would make a £900k gain and would have to pay capital gains tax on that amount at 28% raising just less than £250k.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:34
    "Now if you're a child whose parents lived in a council house then I'd say you were hardly rich or even super rich". This said,of course, in the context of that child inheriting "a house costing £100k and sold for £1m".
    i'm sure the £860k would soften the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:34
    "Now if you're a child whose parents lived in a council house then I'd say you were hardly rich or even super rich". This said,of course, in the context of that child inheriting "a house costing £100k and sold for £1m".
    Quite probably

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:36
    mixed feelings regarding that as it can create social engineering which I'm very much against. however I don't really think benefits should ever be more than the national average income for a family unit. this particular issue was a tough call and I think it was handled very badly by this government.
    Inequality should be kept in check, it is related to a nations well being. The scales need to be balanced in this country. IHT is a good tax for this but more needs to be done.
    it is only a good tax if beneficiaries receive cash or other liquid assets. where it is a poor tax is where property is concerned for reasons outlined and leads to social engineering. A better more progressive system would be to exclude property but the beneficiary has a base cost equal to the purchase price of the estate and not the transfer value at the time of death. Using Kiffa's example of a property costing £100k but being worth £1m, if the beneficiary chose to live in the property there would be no tax to pay but if they sold the property they would make a £900k gain and would have to pay capital gains tax on that amount at 28% raising just less than £250k.
    It was my example but anyhow your suggestion sounds fair.

Absolutely agree that if you choose to make the inherited house your main domicile no IHT should be payable until sold, unless it was originally purchased over the threshold. I'd be happy to see it waived after 10 years or so as well.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:43
    Absolutely agree that if you choose to make the inherited house your main domicile no IHT should be payable until sold, unless it was originally purchased over the threshold. I'd be happy to see it waived after 10 years or so as well.
    Good idea, that would stop those trying to fiddle the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:27
    Typical Labour, politics of envy. Vote for us and well take the money from those who have worked hard all their lives, saved and bought their own homes, and we'll re-distribute it to those who are too idle to work.
    The children of the rich - those who inherit the wealth of their parents without doing a stroke of work - are NOT "those who have worked hard all their lives" though. Are they?
    Why shouldn't those who have made the money, decide which idle gits they leave it to. Their own kid's, who may very well be idle gits, or the idle gits who are the offspring of idle gits?

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:52
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:27
    Typical Labour, politics of envy. Vote for us and well take the money from those who have worked hard all their lives, saved and bought their own homes, and we'll re-distribute it to those who are too idle to work.
    The children of the rich - those who inherit the wealth of their parents without doing a stroke of work - are NOT "those who have worked hard all their lives" though. Are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue wrote on Sun, 12 April 2015 19:26
    Quote Originally Posted by ragbone Red wrote on Sun, 12 April 2015 19:25
    I'm sure there are some FORTUNATE middle income people I'll benefit but it does smack of typical Tory arogrance and overall it will benefit those who have than those who do not, never forgive them from reducing the 50p tax rate to 45p whilst introducing the bedroom tax,unbelievable arogrance
    Can you remind me of the higher rate of tax during the vast majority of Labours reign?
    Yeah up to 90% in the 70's wasn't it??

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:43
    Is this going to happen? Def a good idea. Means you don't have to sell the family home.

Quote Originally Posted by goats wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 19:13
    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue wrote on Sun, 12 April 2015 19:26
    I'm sure there are some FORTUNATE middle income people I'll benefit but it does smack of typical Tory arogrance and overall it will benefit those who have than those who do not, never forgive them from reducing the 50p tax rate to 45p whilst introducing the bedroom tax,unbelievable arogrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ragbone Red wrote on Sun, 12 April 2015 19:25
    Can you remind me of the higher rate of tax during the vast majority of Labours reign?
    Yeah up to 90% in the 70's wasn't it??
    Labours most recent reign.