+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A new Cardiff needed......

A new Cardiff needed......

...every year, in order to house the 330,000 new UK immigrants.

Cameron made a worthless promise to reduce net migration to tens of thousands, but while the real power is in Brussels, he can do nothing.

Feedback

Re: A new Cardiff needed......

The uk is forecast to be the largest economy in the eu by 2030 overtaking Germany. If that is to happen we need more people as Germany currently has 80m compared to 63m in the uk.

The uk is also a wealthy country, we can afford to take in these people who are coming to make a better life for themselves.

If that is to happen we need more people as Germany currently has 80m compared to 63m in the uk. (YES, BUT GERMANY IS A LOT BIGGER. The UK is already densely populated).

The uk is also a wealthy country, we can afford to take in these people who are coming to make a better life for themselves. (hahahahaha ... wealthy. Oh, what!? It's not a joke?)

I know most are coming to work for a better life, but when they are used as cheap labour, I'm not sure about the benefits.

We simply can't take in more and more people who need support while simultaneously cutting the state as much as the current government wants to.

I think this is to discourage migrants who want to come here. The idea is to defeat problems with politics rather than force.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 16:02
    How many people leave the UK every year? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 16:27
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 16:02
    How many people leave the UK every year? Any idea?
    I think about 330k less than come in.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 16:35
    I think about 330k less than come in.
    Many thousands of Romanians coming here, apparently. And City signed one of them yesterday. It's a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 16:07
    The uk is forecast to be the largest economy in the eu by 2030 overtaking Germany. If that is to happen we need more people as Germany currently has 80m compared to 63m in the uk.
    Why? Why do we have to get new people into grow. Why does GDP matter. Surely GDP per capita is a better measure. Labour had that policy it just covers over the cracks.

Feedback

Of course gdp per capita is better. But I can't see the uk which currently lags behind Germany in productivity breaching that gap on productivity alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 19:33
    Of course gdp per capita is better. But I can't see the uk which currently lags behind Germany in productivity breaching that gap on productivity alone.
    Productivity is lower in the UK than Germany because it is cheaper to use our labour topped up by in work Benefits than to invest in new machinery which increases productivity.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Side of the Severn wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 21:27
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 19:33
    Productivity is lower in the UK than Germany because it is cheaper to use our labour topped up by in work Benefits than to invest in new machinery which increases productivity.
    I'm aware of that, the tax credit system subsidises labour in the uk. We need to invest more and I think that is what the uk has been doing for a good few years. The issue is the germans have been investing for decades.

According to Radio4 today - approx 600,000 people come in and about 270,000 people left. Hence the 330,000 net figure

Political Asylum seekers were about 25,000 (I though this was a bit low).

Net migration of EU citizens was 183,000
    Outside the EU - 196,000

330,000 net a year is like having a new Cardiff built every year.

Naff all anyone can do about it - unless the UK leave the EU. Or the EU reinstall border control to individual EU members.

Yes. Less than arrive in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 16:17
    We simply can't take in more and more people who need support while simultaneously cutting the state as much as the current government wants to.
    One aspect of migration the state like is the fact they tend to have a positive impact on the fiscal position. The UK at the moment is in a position where the cost of looking after the elderly is only going to accelerate as they make up a greater proportion of the population. The only real way to solve this situation (save for cutting spending on the elderly, which is nigh on impossible politically) is to get more young people, either through natural change or migration. Neither is really happening fast enough to have an impact from that perspective.

18% of the population were not born in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Thu, 27 August 2015 22:03
    According to Radio4 today - approx 600,000 people come in and about 270,000 people left. Hence the 330,000 net figure
    The difference is that the 270000 who leave are often the reasonably well off retired who generally fund their own existence whereas many of those who come here either live off Benefits, work in the black economy or take low skilled jobs from the Brits who we then have to fund on Benefits. There are of course many Brits who work abroad but in the main they support themselves and do not rely on Benefits from their new country of work. Those 270000 Brits who moved abroad last year, and those who already live abroad, often carry an EHIC card meaning they do not rely on the foreign equivalents of the NHS and those who work outside the UK usually carry appropriate insurances either funded by their employers or privately. There is absolutely no comparison to be drawn between the Brits who move abroad and the migrants who come to this country.