+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Landlord dilemma, exploding shower glass panel

Re: Landlord dilemma, exploding shower glass panel

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 11:41
    This has nothing to do with a glass panel.
    Don't work too hard

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 10:41
    As a former landlord I would have replaced the glass at my expense as long as the tenant was one of long standing. However, the evidence suggests that any breakages are the responsibility of the tenant as that is written into a normal shorthold tenancy contract between landlord and tenant. Looking at this dispassionately how can it be the landlord's fault if glass breaks at a property he does not occupy? Common sense suggests the tenant is to blame whatever excuses are made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Side of the Severn wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 09:22
    Total rubbish
    One further point - the landlord might have insurance to cover breakages of fixtures and fittings in which case he should definitely pay and another thing to question is whether the landlord has such insurance and is not being paid by the insurance company and tenant for the same breakage.

For those who still aren't convinced it exploded by itself, I can you tell you it did because I was in the flat when it happened and we (and the kind folk next door) were the ones cleaning it up.

Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you, if you want to just think "students, that's what they do" then fine. But I wouldn't have come on this board asking for advice about it exploding by itself, I was expecting to be laughed at but it's clearly happened to a few others as well.

Like I said initially, she has been at the flat for just over 8 weeks. For 5 of these weeks she hasn't even been at the flat, so how the hell can the landlord and agency say that she is reliable after such a short stay? Even if they accept she didn't do it, some on here are saying it's tenant responsibility... e.g. I would agree if it was something small like a settee rip, but for something like this it's just plain unfair to just lump it on the tenant, especially having no proper money as a student anyway. That's just exploiting and taking full advantage of them in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 15:58
    For those who still aren't convinced it exploded by itself, I can you tell you it did because I was in the flat when it happened and we (and the kind folk next door) were the ones cleaning it up.
    Whatever the outcome the landlord has absolutely no right to demand payment in a short timescale. But beware. If you refuse to pay he is likely to deduct the cost from the bond when the girlfriend terminates the tenancy. It's much better to try to reach an amicable agreement before the tenancy ends. A reasonable landlord will pay if there is doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Side of the Severn wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 13:30
    As a former landlord I would have replaced the glass at my expense as long as the tenant was one of long standing. However, the evidence suggests that any breakages are the responsibility of the tenant as that is written into a normal shorthold tenancy contract between landlord and tenant. Looking at this dispassionately how can it be the landlord's fault if glass breaks at a property he does not occupy? Common sense suggests the tenant is to blame whatever excuses are made.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 10:41
    Total rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Side of the Severn wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 09:22
    Read the law on assured short hold tenancies , the landlord is responsible for repairs , unless they are beyond reasonable wear and tear
    Asking for money .....by tomorrow...... Is clear intimidation

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 15:58
    That's it from me

Sludge, took your advice and they confirmed that it is definitely not the tenant responsibility because it can be an occurrence.

Agency/landlord sent someone round to fix today for the cost of £0. Quick turnaround after demanding £150 a few days ago but they might deduct in the deposit, if so will definitely contact the helpline again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 21:24
    Sludge, took your advice and they confirmed that it is definitely not the tenant responsibility because it can be an occurrence.
    You are welcome, take care

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 21:24
    Sue his arse if he tries that!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 12:22
    Basically my girlfriend's landlord is wanting her to pay up £150 by tomorrow (without notice) for the shower glass exploding. And by exploding I mean not just a cracked panel, it's as if someone smashed it with a sledge hammer, happened in the middle of the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 11:42
    She only moved into the flat at the beginning of July and hasn't been there at all really through August because she's a uni student. This happened on Saturday night and was her first night back at the flat, contacted agency on Sunday and had a reply yesterday saying they want £150 in cash by tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 11:16
    Suggestions
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 11:05
    on how to not pay? Obviously because this isn't her fault. I'm guessing if she refuses they'll deduct it from her deposit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 11:00
    Would suggest write to landlord confirming that the glass shattered spontaneously. Claim not liable, but willing to meet the cost half way as an act of good faith, and enclose cheque for £75. Whilst some on this thread have suggested this has happened to them, I can assure you that - strange as it may seem - students have been known to damage property occasionally...
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Fri, 11 September 2015 10:34
    Phone housing help centre on St Mary street
    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Thu, 10 September 2015 19:57
    Legal housing law experts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Tue, 08 September 2015 18:10
    If she didn't break it , shes not liable
    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Tue, 08 September 2015 17:57
    Simple as that
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Tue, 08 September 2015 14:30
    Don't let these ****ing landlords get away with it
    Think he got Oscar Pistorius solicitor on the case.