+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What English sport calls "flair", other countries call necessary skills

What English sport calls "flair", other countries call necessary skills

that's a line from a good article I read about the failure of the England Rugby team. It rings very true for me, but I wonder if the word "English" should be changed to "British"?

I think it's a tough question and could make arguments either way, but I do believe that the Scots, Welsh and Irish are a little bit more inclined to trust "flair" than the English.

Feedback

Re: What English sport calls "flair", other countries call necessary skills

I'd go along with that. I always thought England relied more on their forwards than the Celtic fringe, having a more powerful game.

The greatest British and Irish player in my opinion was Cameron Michael Henderson gibson aka mike gibson. A truly outstanding player that epitomised everything about the northern hemisphere game

"Flair" hasn't been part of egg coaches' vocabulary since the game went pro.

I notice now that I didn't mention that I was thinking of all sports rather than just rugby - apologies for that.

When I think of rugby though, I'd say that traditionally England have been less inclined to select flair players than Wales, but that was changing under Lancaster until he reverted to English type in recent weeks when, at the most important stage of his career, he opted for power over flair in his selections at centre and fly half.

Agree with you Feedback about Mike Gibson - a tremendous player.

Football has been guilty of this to a degree, with apparently less emphasis on skills in youth football, with too many teams picking their biggest and strongest kids all of the time for a short term gain.

Apparently, the southern hemisphere nations use a system in junior rugby that means young players are put into height/weight groups instead of age groups. This would mean that players would need to hone their skills and decision making at a young age, as they couldn't rely on pace and power. I have friends who have children playing rugby and have lost count of the number of times they have said "they played well, but the other team had this big kid who just ran through them all" That kid is learning nothing now, and will be found wanting as he gets older, plus the other kids are not learning the game. Perhaps this is a factor towards the original quote?

never trusted Flair since he stabbed Sting in the back

Who would you consider the most skilful "Lions" players currently? Candidates would include Stuart Hogg, Tipuric, George Ford and, umm.

To catch up to New Zealand and this Australia we need to employ an Argentinian or South African scrum coach, teach the next generation of forwards to pass like backs and teach the next generation of backs to trust their handling skills. Fortunately, our bravery in defence and goal-kicking is superb.