+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Braindead kids letting off fireworks

Braindead kids letting off fireworks

Is this currently a problem for anyone else?

I live around a large block of estates in Kennington, South London, by the Oval cricket ground. Been here for about a year now and not really had much bother.

However now it's seemingly easy to obtain fireworks a number of kids (mostly teens I assume) have gone around terrorising roads letting off all manner of stuff. I was walking home Friday night from cricket practice, turn left onto my road to be met with about 8 kids on bikes letting off stuff on the road followed by one guy on foot blasting God's know what anywhere. Somehow managed to sprint off with my stuff in tow but it's absolutely terrifying, I can imagine it's only worse when there's lots of younger kids around and pets who must find it rather distressing.

Thankfully the tenants associated have an open meeting tomorrow to discuss the said matter with local police, councillors etc. What they'll do, who knows.

Re: Brainded kids letting off fireworks

Brainded By Science

Re: Brainded kids letting off fireworks

Oops, my bad, ha. Just a fit of rage.

Re: Braindead kids letting off fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! wrote on Mon, 19 October 2015 22:49
    Thankfully the tenants associated have an open meeting tomorrow to discuss the said matter with local police, councillors etc. What they'll do, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Mon, 19 October 2015 22:56
    They'll just let them off.
    That joke was a bit of a damp squib

Main problem we have is kids riding around on quad bikes and scramblers. make a total racket, they don't obey the laws of the road at all - run red lights, wrong side of the road, no helmets etc. They are just dicking about, no real malice, but **** me are they thick as pigshit. I'll not shed a tear when a few of them inevitably lose their lives to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Mon, 19 October 2015 22:57
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Mon, 19 October 2015 22:56
    They'll just let them off.
    It's actually squid. Lots of people get that wrong and it usually leads to a feel day.

I have a lot of sympathy for the OP but that's what kids do at this time of year.

50 years ago we were out with pockets full of bangers throwing them or putting them through
    peoples letter boxes.

As you grow older you realise how stupid and dangerous it is. Shops shouldn't be allowed to sell
    them at all. Organised displays only.

Always fireworks going off this time of the year, dont see the problem with it as long as they are not aiming it at people. Not sure if the OP is referring to that or being OTT about fireworks in general.

Last year we had a firework season around by where I live which went on for about six weeks either side of November 5. It's a very long time ago now, but my recollection is that you'd get fireworks being let off for a fortnight or so before Bonfire night when I was a kid, but once it was over and done with they stopped.

On a personal level, I'm not bothered at all about fireworks, but I do get annoyed when I see how upset my dog gets by them for a month or more every year. So, when someone living across the road from me decided to have a full blown fireworks party on a Saturday at the end of November last year, I rang the police to ask what the law was on such things - apparently, you can let them off any night of the year before 11.00 pm.

the problem nowadays is they are much more attainable than they were years ago. you can buy fireworks at any time of year now, where as before sales were restricted to a couple of weeks before bonfire night itself.

the pakistanis and indians do seem to like them, and seem to think that their particular version of bonfire night starts in september and ends around the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by chris wrote on Tue, 20 October 2015 12:11
    the problem nowadays is they are much more attainable than they were years ago. you can buy fireworks at any time of year now, where as before sales were restricted to a couple of weeks before bonfire night itself.
    At least the law changed a few years ago restricting their sale to 18yrs + from 16.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop wrote on Tue, 20 October 2015 12:23
    the pakistanis and indians do seem to like them, and seem to think that their particular version of bonfire night starts in september and ends around the new year.
    the chinese fireworks and imported fireworks are much more powerful than the typical fireworks used in britain at bonfire night. and as a result the noise levels and availability have increased.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop wrote on Tue, 20 October 2015 12:23
    http://www.fireworkssouthwales.co.uk/